Comm-Arrays, Local Chat & Potatoes

Anaximander

Exactly my point.  This happened in EVE.  No reason it needs to work that way in DU.

Hey, I'm only suggesting this to happen IF people take the time to add such a detection method in place. These comm-arrays I'm suggesting, are PLAYER-made, they are not there inately. And can be taken down, thus, we got make-shift high-sec and low-sec systems, high-sec being the ones with a fully mapped out system that is covered with comm-arrays that will notice any and all pirates (that are not cloaked) and will detect pirates when uncloaking (probing rules from EVE), with low-sec being partially mapped systems, with blind spots in them and null-sec being pretty much like wormhole space, AKA a creepfest of not knowing who's in system with you unlless you constantly probe them down - and if only they are not on a cloaked ship.

I never suggested this whole thing to be something arbitrary by the game, I only said for players to have a way to expand the local chat and have a mthod of detection on their own systems. And people SHOULD have a passive detection for their systems. 

• 4 weeks later...

While I do believe that communications satellites will likely be very important, I think you guys are thinking too small.

I think an organization will end up collaborating to create a privatized network which I will tentatively call IT&T(Interstellar Text & Telecommunications) which will work to create a network that everyone will subscribe to as no one will want to try maintaining a large network of satellites.

People who want to enter into a relationship with IT&T, otherwise known as subscribers, will be allowed to use the network for communicate with other subscribers. I can see factions paying to use the network, in fact, large factions will ask for rights to connect with the network through their own communications gear.

While I do believe that communications satellites will likely be very important, I think you guys are thinking too small.

I think an organization will end up collaborating to create a privatized network which I will tentatively call IT&T(Interstellar Text & Telecommunications) which will work to create a network that everyone will subscribe to as no one will want to try maintaining a large network of satellites.

People who want to enter into a relationship with IT&T, otherwise known as subscribers, will be allowed to use the network for communicate with other subscribers. I can see factions paying to use the network, in fact, large factions will ask for rights to connect with the network through their own communications gear.

I don't think making people pay for it would work too well. I think if someone did that, the array would simply go relatively unused and people would just find other ways to do it for free. After all, there is still the real life internet. Plus, another large org might try and make one for their own use, and if that org also makes people pay for it, then there are two arrays competing and eventually they just end up being free.

The point where it diverges from EVE is so long as I keep my comms off that frequency and remain cloaked in a ship of small enough mass, I'm not on anybody's radar, regardless of system. If there's a gate maybe I light up on ingress and egress but anywhere in between no one would have a clue unless I literally run into them or uncloak or initiate comms on an array's frequency.

The point where it diverges from EVE is so long as I keep my comms off that frequency and remain cloaked in a ship of small enough mass, I'm not on anybody's radar, regardless of system. If there's a gate maybe I light up on ingress and egress but anywhere in between no one would have a clue unless I literally run into them or uncloak or initiate comms on an array's frequency.

More or less. A gate spitting someone out would be detectable, sure, but stealth should be organic and not linked to arbitrary rules. It's a sci-f setting , not fantasy, and it was alwasy my problem iwth EVE, that it's a fantasy MMO with a sci-fi skin.

But DU can be better than that.

Something similar to "forfeit all defense in favor of a poerul One-Two punch-out" is a Stealth Bomber in EVE fitted with Polarized launchers, making it a paper plane if it's caught, by pretty much anything, but if it gets the upper hand, its 0% mitigation on damage won't matter, as it will destroy someone's tank and ship in no time. Same thing could be done in DU. Forofeit armor on a stealth bomber, in order to fit a massive torpedo launcher, or more propulsion to have more avoidance and be below the mass threshold - sorta like a "dps tank" from EVE, only for detection. People think spaceships and think only of space combat. A small stealthy craft, could slide in a space station and commence a hostile takeover the old-fashioned way. See, a stealth craft doesn't have to be a stealth bomber in DU ;) and Stealth Transports can actually be utilised for a skirmish.

Which also, organically, creates the need for security details on a space station. Especially in frontier systems, similar to the staging areas in EVE, and scouts who stand guard for hours at a faction's border, ready to alert anyone if they notice movement of forces.

As I said, a Comm-Relay could be a stand-in for a "Star System Claim Unit".

It's a far-fetched idea, but this way we can have "high-sec systems", and lawless systems that have no such things like comm-arrays that ensure civilisation and the "admin rights" of a faction on the local chat the relays could provide - because screw spammer-scammers :P .