Self destruct

NNNNobody

There might be, no way to know for sure. I don't think there will be any explosive elements though, as in a block that explodes and breaks voxels. Such a tool could be used in physical missiles or automated mining, two things the developers don't want. So my guess is no, there will not be a way to scuttle a ship.

This has been discussed before too, and I think the general consensus was that it should not be allowed, as it would render piracy almost entirely obsolete.

It wouldn't though, if they did it right. I think it would make things more fun, HEY WE NEED TO HIT THE BRIDGE BEFORE THEY ACTIVATE THE SELF DESTRUCT! Or, ya know, getting to engineering to shut it down before the countdown expires.

where the crew is barricaded, with a choke point for you to try and pass through :P

IMO, it won't kill piracy, it will make it difficult to be a successful pirate. I mean, there are people who'll just go on a roam to blow stuff up, not giving a damn about loot.

Can i build a construct, and have a self-destruct programed into it to damage an intruder/attacker etc., and destroy its contents, preventing loot?

Self destruct capability might seem like a good idea but it could actually make the job of pirates close to impossible. Quickly, people will understand that a self destruct system is a must to avoid pirates trying to loot them for profit, and that would kill the pirating gameplay. One possibility would be to provide pirates with a self-destruct scrambler that they should use prior to any attack. We would like to have your feedback on this! In any case, this would be a post-release feature that we could introduce in an expansion.

It wouldn't though, if they did it right. I think it would make things more fun, HEY WE NEED TO HIT THE BRIDGE BEFORE THEY ACTIVATE THE SELF DESTRUCT! Or, ya know, getting to engineering to shut it down before the countdown expires.

This game doesn't have predetermined spaceship classes. Unless you also own a copy of the exact spaceship you're boarding (or have boarded it a lot, and it hasn't been modified) you aren't going to know where the self-destruct's off switch is. They might have turned it on at the bridge, but turning it off could be in the engine room. Or it could be in seven different random barracks.

Will there be a way to self destruct as a last ditch attempt to cripple the enemy or if you get boarded by enemy's

I think it's possible as long as you get an equitable penalties by doing so. That will make people think twice before commit suicide due to it will be both very risky and quite helpful action.

Juat my opinion :D

This game doesn't have predetermined spaceship classes. Unless you also own a copy of the exact spaceship you're boarding (or have boarded it a lot, and it hasn't been modified) you aren't going to know where the self-destruct's off switch is. They might have turned it on at the bridge, but turning it off could be in the engine room. Or it could be in seven different random barracks.

Unless the person building the ship is a psycopath with abstract art tendencies, l expect engineerig will be near the propulsion. Nuff said.

I forsee engineering in the bow, with pipes to the stern. Prepare for ship-wide fires.

The up-side is, that if the Devs code in center of mass for constructs, an experienced captain would know what is where on board a ship, by how the ship behaves. So yeah, if engineering was at the front of the ship, that would make for some etxtra-kek situations.

Captain A fires at the ship's bow and eventually damages the engineering equipment and the ship explodes, then Captain B puts a bounty to the person who built the ship, as such ship design is criminal :P

I like the idea of self destruct, but this also will need to be balanced with the ability to jam or disable as previously mentioned.

As for the EMP type device, this is interesting as well, it could be designed with some Lore that will only allow it to be used in specific settings e.g, (space, unprotected areas, etc...) The EMP device should have a balance between range and resource requirements. To balance against the EMP device players should be able to shield areas that are needed to ensure the electronics are not impacted. As for ships, since most electronics are already hardened to survive the environment of space, EMP type device may not be that relevant. For planet battles and disabling points of interest in the game, the EMP device would be an interesting addition to any arsenal.

Building on this idea, I would also like to have the ability to create a indispensable ship that could be used as needed/when needed with an appropriately high enough resource requirement. The purpose of this ship would be to ram other ships or get close to large ships or objects and explode. Would be nice to have either option a ramming ship and a bomb ship.

I like the idea of self destruct, but this also will need to be balanced with the ability to jam or disable as previously mentioned.

As for the EMP type device, this is interesting as well, it could be designed with some Lore that will only allow it to be used in specific settings e.g, (space, unprotected areas, etc...) The EMP device should have a balance between range and resource requirements. To balance against the EMP device players should be able to shield areas that are needed to ensure the electronics are not impacted. As for ships, since most electronics are already hardened to survive the environment of space, EMP type device may not be that relevant. For planet battles and disabling points of interest in the game, the EMP device would be an interesting addition to any arsenal.

Building on this idea, I would also like to have the ability to create a indispensable ship that could be used as needed/when needed with an appropriately high enough resource requirement. The purpose of this ship would be to ram other ships or get close to large ships or objects and explode. Would be nice to have either option a ramming ship and a bomb ship.

In space, EMPs go wild. A ton of TNT worth of  a Nuke, would knock a ship's unshielded electronics off their rockers.

Which also means, there should be materials that add "EM Resistance" to a construct, which make their electronics more tolerant of EMP.

Also the idea of "core overloads", has been suggested (mainly by me), which essentially is the "self-desturct" option mixed with other options

The Run-Down is simple :

1. Core Size / Wattage == Time of Overloading.

2. Overloading a power core == no power output for the ship == no shields recharging, no ship acceleration, you are a sitting duck.

3. Overloading a ship sends a warning to other players that the reactor is unstable == counter gameplay

4. Reactor overloading, can be neutralised by :

a ) cutting fuel supply to it (if it can't burn fuel, it can't overload on energy 

b  hacking a console operating a reactor, gives access to the hacker or engineer of the boarding party to drain the overloading reactor of power to feed systems, in order for it to not explode.

5. an exploding reactor / capacitor, depending on the Tier level and power output, has a bigger damage bubble / damage. A TeraWatt output reactor, if overloaded, would cause a terrawatt worth of an explosion (if we assume the damage bubble lasts for 1 second, explosions in space may last for more than 1 second though, just look at good ol' Sun, exploding for the last 5 billion years). Multiple reactors, add to the intensity of the damage, not the damage bubble.

These mechanisms, prevent :

a. torpedo ships == you can't accelerate or power shields while overloading, and you will be blown to bits before getting anywhere near a ship. If you try to land a ship on board a station and then attmept to overload it, security will be on your location, dunking you and then deactivating the ship's overloading.

b. a ship of high value, being taken over by the enemy. Essentially, it gives a captain the option to scuttle their boat from preventing an enemy to get a hold of them (or any materials there may be worth for salvaging).

c. a ship can't be used to blow a city to bits, since it would not validate its cost - unless the owner organisation of that city did something REALLLY shitty to deserve that kind of extremism and even so, that ship has to actually fight its way and travel to said star system. Nobody that is paid to defend a star system will allow that ship to get even near the planet, let alone the city. Also, if you do not have the fuel to overload your reactor, then the reactor may not even overload at all, so Massive Death Bomb Ship, is not very probable and pretty much, as impracticaly as the Death Star itself (sorry, I have to point out the logistical elephant around the Death Star :| ) .

These mechanisms enable :

a. a last means of defense : your merchant ship won't go down without a fight, and hey, you may trick the pirates on bailing, or, trick them into rushing to your engineering compartment where you waylay them with carefully placed mines the moment they go in, or, even trap them within a make-shift cage, that triggers when detectign motion. Add a ten layers of doors that the pirates wlll never get through, and you just trolled the pirates who wanted to prevent your ship from overloading.

b. objectives for cities and space stations. Yeah. Same reactor rules can be applied for a city on a planet. Attack the power plant, take out power to the shields or defense systems or what have you, thus creating a dynamic "objectives" gameplay. 

c. the aforementioned "landing a bomb ship" on a space station, makes the "security guard" job, a lot more intense. People who are paid to keep an eye for such things, are now like actual security guards in customs, armed to the teeth and keeping an eye out for any such indication of a ship attempting popping a core, essentially, making the job of a security guard the most unpredictable round of CS;GO.

But that's just my half-baked suggestion, the Devs may indeed have a very more in-depth mechanism in mind, who knows.

Far as I know, ships will be expensive as hell. Personally I'd rather allow some pirates to take the cargo than blowing away a ship that costs much more. even if there isn't a self destruct mode, you will find always a way to bomb your ship up (a weapon shooting core for example)

Even if they don't have a ship-wide self-destruct, it would be nice if there was a way to fry all the critical components. Things like central computers, engineering stations, and, of course, the core itself, could all contain information that your enemies would love to have.

Things like ship schematics, planetary and galactic exploration maps, or clever scripts.

I am not saying they shouldn't have self-destruct as well, but if they decide they don't want to implement a full-blown self-destruct, (pardon the pun,) they should at least have a system-destruct.

It obviously has a downside: it would leave the ship intact for the enemy to refit if they felt so inclined.

On the flip side, they may just take your cargo and leave the ship alone, in which case you could potentially recover it yourself!

Fly a ship into a battle.

Fake it going derelict to trick others into boarding you.

Self destruct it to take out as many people as possible who are boarding you.

I like it. 

... then make sure you have a buddy nearby to pick up the loot ;) I viable strategy I think...

... then make sure you have a buddy nearby to pick up the loot ;) I viable strategy I think...

Well, if the damage bubbles in-game, can destroy Elements (3D mesh objects) like containers, turrets, electronics and other parts, if a shp explostion was to take out every single able combatant vessel in the blast radius, that means, quite possibly, ZERO loot.

I don't know about you, but disintegration sounds quite totalling on damage to me. It is also the reason we need the counter-play to self-destruct via EMP or other means.

Cheers! :D