Super weapons

NNNNobody

They have stated that there shall be no destroying of planets. As far as specifically the death star, while they do like to say that players could build their own Death Star, they don't mean it in a sense of "They can make a ship that can blow up a planet." They mean it more so as "You can build something that looks like the Death Star, and is as big as the Death Star."

I thin that everyone will know that you are building one, not like it, and blow it up. A grand federation of all nations will not allow it, pirates will see it as a very nice target, enemies will never sit by whilst it is being built. How people will find out about it? Well, let's just say that is what I do.

It could be allowed if it takes A LOT of time and resources to build such a super weapon.

With clever design yes.

for explame if every player on the planet or even in the solar system gets a message that somebody is building a super weapon 2 or 3 weeks before completion then they can form a coalition and destroy the station with an almost 100% chance. and it would be fun for both parties (like an unbalanced capture the point game with huge conqunceques.).

This way only somebody who doesn't care if his work gets destroyed will build a Death Star and players won't have to fear their buildings so much. but the tension will still be there.

I'm sure even without the superlaser a Death Star would be fairly devastating. A construct of that size could carry countless fighters and probably even capitalships, in addition to its own armament. If such a construct is ever completed it would have to be crewed, and even with the slim possibility of automatic turrets the crew requirements would still be extremely high. 

Building a station of that size is nearly impossible. In star wars, it took the empire 20 years to build it, and they had thousands to millions of peaople working for them.

It actually took them 1 (as it was already built by the end of Episode III - yes, that is considered canon lore-wise). It took them 19 more, becuase Rogue One Spoilers, I Can't Really Spoil The Movie For Anyone Who Has Not Seen It. But if you have, then you understand why it took them 19 more.

Also, in the extended universe books, the Death Star was subject to sabotage from within, as the Empire were not everyone douchebags who wanted to subjudage people Some of the gys just wanted peace, but not with a giant space station armed with a death ray as the arbiter of peace.

So yeah, given the lore in DU, if the resources are available and the plan is kept hush-hush, a Death Star can be made Not only can be made, but it can also be a functional super weapon.. just not in the sense of blowing up planets.

Given such a monster will have a lot of power generators in it, I can see someone grouping up 100 or 500 laser turrets, and using them in a battle to simply evaporate targets with a single shot.

Just... good luck crewing that thing. I mean, you would need at least 1000 people working in diffrent sections of the ship to make it work, not to mention, that thing would cost an arm and a leg to relocate from one star system to another (and I do not think it would fit through a stargate to be honest :P )

"I could man it myself".

Good luck, again I don't think you got enough RAM to run all the scripts needed for that thing to work AND have spare to load the game and playing in a livable framerate. 

It actually took them 1 (as it was already built by the end of Episode III - yes, that is considered canon lore-wise). It took them 19 more, becuase Rogue One Spoilers, I Can't Really Spoil The Movie For Anyone Who Has Not Seen It. But if you have, then you understand why it took them 19 more.

i saw the movie. Still, a whole emipre was involved. They had more people avaivable than the whole DU-Community will ever be.

i saw the movie. Still, a whole emipre was involved. They had more people avaivable than the whole DU-Community will ever be.

What they did not have, is video game logic and make-believe science. Nanofields => deploy a Blueprint => Fill Blueprint with materials => Parto fthe Death Star finished.

Now, the manufacturing is not the issue, the planning is. I mean, you can't expect such a massive undertakin to not require some sweet spreadsheets, some taxation plan to fund it, some research and development, some recruting and all those things associated with it.

Still, I get your sentiment. It will take time to modularly build a Death Star, Script it and make a manual for it. Then you need to crew the ship with people who will not sabotage the whole station. It's a logistical mess, that will be achieved somewhere down the line.

• 2 weeks later...

Death Star would be IMO too expensive to build but I hope someone will build full scale Star Destroyer (1600m long).

I'm sure there will be factions constructing their ships as a copies of original movies ships (Star Wars, Star Trek, BSG etc.) - maybe this constructions won't be the best spaceships but will look awesome.

Death Star would be IMO too expensive to build but I hope someone will build full scale Star Destroyer (1600m long).

I'm sure there will be factions constructing their ships as a copies of original movies ships (Star Wars, Star Trek, BSG etc.) - maybe this constructions won't be the best spaceships but will look awesome.

And risking copyright issues... *slowclap*

I don't get it why people have to copy something. You have the opportunity to build whatever you want and you choose a triangle. Wow. Gj on creativity there.

And risking copyright issues... *slowclap*

I don't get it why people have to copy something. You have the opportunity to build whatever you want and you choose a triangle. Wow. Gj on creativity there.

You have to start from somewhere. Build something you know (like a star destroyer) to get used to the tools available and to improve your ability to transfer drawing to construct. Then, once you have more experience, you can create ships of your own design. Otherwise we will have brick-ships everywhere.

You have to start from somewhere. Build something you know (like a star destroyer) to get used to the tools available and to improve your ability to transfer drawing to construct. Then, once you have more experience, you can create ships of your own design. Otherwise we will have brick-ships everywhere.

Or, you know, just be creative and invent a new design. Ofc most ships will look like something you have already seen, because there is a reason why planes look like....planes.

As someone who usually plays alone or with a relatively small group, I actually support this idea.  Obviously such a weapon would require an insane workforce and some years to build.  It would have to be very massive and emit strong radiation or something as to be easily detectable.  Once detected, I'm sure there would be a United Nations style organization to convene and decide what to do.

In the event that such a weapon was somehow finished, what would be the extent of it's damage?  When directed at a planet should it level all structures, kill crops, destroy flora and fauna, glass the terrain?  I believe so.  It's likely there would be multiple factions trying to achieve this goal.  Such a threat would certainly give us a reason to unite.  

Honestly, in a game where the players are making the story, we must allow for people to assume this evil role so we can have something to fight against.