Building Tools

Captain_Hilts

Now that makes more sense (and kind of what I was going for). Makes it possible to use the overlay, but when you want to build something massive (dreadnought) then you need additional training.

And that's just half of what I would LIKE for the gameplay to be. Like in EVE, you got T1 skills ,ad T2 skills, like Weapon Upgraves I through V, and then you got Advanced Weapon Upgrades I through V. And even if Advanced training only gives you about 25% of the bonueses T1 training gives, they do make adifference in the long run.

Also, Dreadnaughts are something relative. The Borg Cube is technically, a Carrier (a Dreadnaught class ship that trades guns for hangars and a landing pad). 

Don't get me wrong, some ENORMOUS ships like the Erebus from EVE, will take A LOT OF TIME to build, as they would be too big for a factory to actually reproduce them (not enough skill extensions on Blueprint voxel capacity), as Erebus is about 22 km in length (but over an 250km a badass).

So, in order to prevent such massive capital ships from being overly abundant and not make shipyards obsolete with Factory Units, I can see people building a Titan with modular blueprints and combining them in an orbital shipyard to make the whole ship a reality, with the shipyard crew starting from the hull of the ship, then adding wiring for powergrids and electronics and then adding armor, etcetera.

For a frame of referrence most would understand, you can't have the Death Star be held in a single blueprint, as that would make said thing reproducable en masse, but you can have the Death Star partitioned in smaller modular blueprints, which would also limit the possibility of someone stealing your entire Death Star design by stealing one blueprint -- they would have to steal 20 of them to have the whole thing.

Pinpoint accuracy as ever, my dear sir.

Carrier V would be a bit harsh, that's true, but in a context of a game where we will most likely spend the first weeks to months anyway on the same planet, it's not that hard anymore. The first titan in eve was built 1k year or so after release - that would match.

But your suggestion is all the way better. Since it's Christmas I don't have time to think more about it  :P

@Lethys

Exactly, a Titan is made of a lot of sub-parts, that need their own time to be produced, which is what contributed to it took a year of course (as well as that training time of 385 days urgh :| ).

• 8 months later...

Wow guys - Ok.

I am not suggesting as some have said -

that a builder should be able to gather the resources for a huge ship in a flash

that a builder should be able to design a full new huge ship in a flash

or that that design and resources should be able to be assembled in a flash

these things should and as they have said - will take time.

Now I guess I was kind of assuming there would end up being a build mode for designing blueprints that you would then need to gather the required resources to actually build.

Maybe a build mode won't be in the game - I know they have talked about it. But it doesn't sound set in stone from what I read.
That could be a little inconvenient. How will I know which and how much resources to gather if I don't make the plan first.

If there is not a build mode - all the more reason to be precise - if your 1km cube accidentally has an extra 25cm on one whole face that's a lot of wasted resources that will be very hard to see by eyeballing at that scale.
  But anyway I don't really know how blueprints will work - and maybe I've missed something but I don't think they've had details like that.
We do know there will be blueprints. We know once you build something the first time you can make a blueprint of it. We know this thing will be (shocker) a blueprint.

We know that you will be able to reproduce things using blueprints. I don't think there are any other details yet revealed about blueprints.
One of you guys - not me - was the one that assumed once you got a blueprint a supper rich alliance would be able to pop out a capital ship every second. (therefore designing a large ship should be made to take a long time) WHAT? I'll talk about that one later.
 Let me calm your fears - popping out a capital ship every second will not happen.  How do I know this?

Well as you pointed out that would very obviously unbalance and wreck the game. I sure NQ being smart guys are able to see something that obvious. 
But blueprints are not the topic here - so --

IRL we don't have a device that can suck up matter and spit it out in any shape we want - but even when we were making giant rockets to go to the moon with paper and slide rulers we still had the ability to plan out our designs with precise dimensions before we started melting steel and welding it together.

That's all I am asking for.

Now I am all for the immersive game play - it's really exciting and I'm looking forward to it. Therefore I am against importing designs from outside sources - everything should be built in game. Therefore you need a way to design it in game. Now I wasn't even thinking to ask for speed movement while building (now maybe there's an idea..)
I just want after walking 1km to lay down the keel of my ship to know that it is 1km and not 990m. Walking out the rough dimensions will take a while I just want it to be precise.

OK here's the thing about making ship designing take a long time  -  1 It is going to take a long time to make a good ship design especially a large one EVEN IF you could plop down a 1km cube instantly - making something that large into a good ship will take time.

2 if blueprints instantly pop out a ship how will making designing the ship take forever fix that? People would just pop out thousands of pre-designed ships with their unlimited resources and insta-factories. Why bother with a new design? Unlimited resources and insta factories will not be a thing.

OK moving on

Sure maybe a game mechanic will be you have to train your building skills. That very well may be - yet it is irrelevant to the topic.

If I have trained my building skills to level - All The Skills - and plop down a 5km by 1km by 2km rectangle - I want to be able to know it is the exact dimensions I want without counting squares after the fact.

Maybe some are ok with eyeballing it and saying - "meh give or take a few hundred meters is good enough for me"  - 

Me I'd ask for more. If not being able to set dimensions at least be able to see the dimensions dynamically as you add on to it.

Saying that plopping down a 1km cube slapping on engines and cockpit and guns then flying into battle - saying that is cheating well
1 that's pretty much what they've shown building small fighters.

2 if you think building a huge ship that way will result in an optimized ship with optimal use of resources..... hahaha  - uh good luck with that.

Slapped together ships will be a thing - they will be cheap (small) and they will have a use.

They will not be 1km cubes and such (unless you have gobs of resources to waist - I don't think that will be a thing) 
Large ships will need to be carefully put together to justify their cost.

Whether that means an accurate model; say, of a Star Destroyer (ie cosmetics) , or a ship with superior game play performance. 

On 12/22/2016 at 11:33 AM, Atmosph3rik said:

This is just silly.  It's like we're having two totally different discussions. 

I think you may want to read up on how the building tools are going to work.  We aren't going to be placing voxels one at a time.

Creating a huge block of voxels will be as simple as creating a selection box that size and clicking FILL.  Boom done.

All i'm asking for is the ability to create that box with precise dimensions.

Yes - THIS

On 12/23/2016 at 10:46 AM, CaptainTwerkmotor said:

For a frame of referrence most would understand, you can't have the Death Star be held in a single blueprint, as that would make said thing reproducable en masse, but you can have the Death Star partitioned in smaller modular blueprints, which would also limit the possibility of someone stealing your entire Death Star design by stealing one blueprint -- they would have to steal 20 of them to have the whole thing.

It's all good we can discuss blueprints here too.

Modules sounds like a good idea to me if the game mechanic allows for connecting them to make a whole - I don't know about that. But good Idea.

Only 20 for the death star though? that would be 209,500 km3 each

Though I don't see the problem as you say having a single blueprint for the Death Star - it would no more be reproducible in mass than if you made it in 20 chunks.

A blueprint is not going to be an insta-create thing. It's still gonna take a hell of a long time to put together after you've got a full blueprint. Whether it be 1 or 20 chunks

Français :

Le début de cette discussion était sur un outil : "Je veux crée un cube de x mètre de coté".

Il y a une idée qui n’a pas était émise, et qui serait excellente, ce serait qu’il y a une vitesse de construction du Voxel déterminé par votre équipement et vos compétences et surtout, sa taille.

1m de coté 1s de création, 10m de coté 100s (10*10*10m donc 10*10*10s)

Et il en va de même pour la déconstruction.

Simple.

Pour les 3D Printer… Alors déjà, vous cofondez les 3D Printer et les Factory Unit.

Une chose est sur :

The time required to produce different objects varies depending on the complexity of the part or gear as well as the Skill Level of the player operating the element.

La production ne sera donc pas instantané, ni facile. Quel sera le temps exact ? on appelle cela "l’équilibrage", et pour aidé NQ dans cette tache il existe l’Alpha et la Beta, et leurs retours utilisateurs.

L’idée final est juste qu’il sera plus rapide d’utilisé une Factory Unit que de le faire a la main.

Actuellement, les Factory Unit ne semblent pas avoir de taille limite, je pense aussi que cela devrait être le cas. Ainsi pour les vrais gros vaisseau, il faudra l’assemblé pièces par pièces (en orbite de préférence).

Et pour correctement équilibré la chose : Les Factory Unit n’on pas (ou ne devrait pas) avoir de réserver intégré, vous devriez obligatoirement la connecté a des Storage Units.

The beginning of this discussion was on a tool: "I want to create a cube of x meter side".

There is an idea that was not issued, and that would excellent, it would be that there is a speed of construction of the Voxel determined by your equipment and your skills and especially, its size.

1m of dimension 1s of creation, 10m of side 100s (10*10*10m so 10*10*10s)

And the same goes for deconstruction.
Simple.

For 3D Printer... So already, you confuse the 3D Printer and the Factory Unit.
One thing is sure :

The time required to produce different objects varies depending on the complexity of the part or gear as well as the Skill Level of the player operating the element.

Production will therefore not be instantaneous or easy. What will be the exact time? it called this "balancing", and for helped NQ in this task there is Alpha and Beta, and their user feedback.
The final idea is just that it will be faster to use a Factory Unit than to do it by hand.
Currently, the Factory Unit does not seem to have a size limit, I also think that should be the case. Thus for the real big ship, it will be necessary to assemble it piece by piece (in orbit preferably).

And to properly balanced the thing: The Factory Unit does not (or should) have built-in reservations, you should necessarily logged in to Storage Units.