AI and propaganda and war

NNNNobody

For war you could do the star wars 1 2 and3 way where they used droids and clones but it costs so much to make.

Can you add a way to download music and put them on a "speaker block" so every one can hear it or use it for morning news or put it on a ai drone and use it for propaganda.

For war you could do the star wars 1 2 and3 way where they used droids and clones but it costs so much to make.

Can you add a way to download music and put them on a "speaker block" so every one can hear it or use it for morning news or put it on a ai drone and use it for propaganda.

Yeah sorry man, but non-player controlled constructs will be limited if existent at all, sacrificed for smooth gameplay for everyone. As for downloading music and letting anyone play whatever music or sounds they want... Not a great idea, people will spam it with undesirable things.

As for downloading music and letting anyone play whatever music or sounds they want... Not a great idea, people will spam it with undesirable things.

It's somewhat saddening (to me) that people usually see the problems and would rather avoid things than try them out.

Of course you are completely right - the potential is there. But at the same time, many would benefit from something like this, adding spice or immersion to their areas.

In G-Mod this works well. Players can place radios (or speakers, forms vary) and use any audio file they can upload in certain places. For example we added heavy construction site sounds such as drilling to a construction site and it fit quite well.

Or you could play propaganda broadcasts or just news over the speakers. Perhaps allowing this in player controlled areas with a way of "accountability" (holding players responsible if they abuse it by showing what player placed a speaker or uploaded a certain file) would make it a relatively safe thing to use.

There are certainly ways to regulate what people could put in their sound emitting elements. However, even if what they put is clean and legal, it could still be abused, get annoying, obnoxious, etc.. My personal opinion is that allowing people to emit music or sounds of their choice is more trouble than it's worth.

I am on the fence about the player-content playback issue. I think it could be abused, but it could also be regulated somewhat.

It could be awesome, or annoying.

I do think it would be cool to be walking around the cockpit of my mid-size cargo transport while listening to whatever tunes / news / podcast I want to coming through the cockpit speakers.

But at the same time I certainly see the challenges of allowing something like that too!

Maybe they could make it an opt-in deal, where you get a notice like: "Ambient sounds available: Accept / Deny," whenever someone has it set up in the area.

Maybe even some kind of "group accept" where everything from a set group of people is automatically played so you don't have to "accept" every time you enter one of their zones. This could be as small as a list you ​made for yourself, or as large as an organization-size list, or a city-wide zone, etc.!

Anyway, just my 2 cents. :)

Everything can be abused, but a well setup system will minimize any abuse.

There are two things being discussed here: 1) stand alone "speakers" (no player involved) and 2) sound originating from a player.

The first, stand alone speakers, is unlikely to happen for the same reason that streaming movies in game are unlikely: put enough of these at any one place and it will lag the server/client. One way to get around this is to have the player opt in to view/listen to one at a time. This could be a way to stream in game content to an in game screen.

The second, sound from players, I do really want in the game. This can be limited by first only allowing voice for those within a certain distance from the player (or within antenna range), and second it can again be opt in, like joining a chat channel in discord. But, why not just use a third party program like discord? The third party program does not know about players relative positions in game which means different crews can speak to each other separately. But the biggest advantage is having conversations with strangers: friends you have not met yet.

With the above two points combined, we really can open hailing frequencies.

I just thought of a big flaw space=no sound

Technology can fix it.

Why do you often hear combat sounds in large space battles in sci-fi movies? Viewer enjoyment, it would be different any other way.

Smart technology could in theory simulate relatively fitting sounds, thus explaining all of that stuff. It would help because we're used to audio feedback and in turn it would actually be helpful with the peripherals and whatnot. Something "explodes" nearby? You'd hear it and be aware.

Technology can fix it.

Why do you often hear combat sounds in large space battles in sci-fi movies? Viewer enjoyment, it would be different any other way.

Smart technology could in theory simulate relatively fitting sounds, thus explaining all of that stuff. It would help because we're used to audio feedback and in turn it would actually be helpful with the peripherals and whatnot. Something "explodes" nearby? You'd hear it and be aware.

no need for a lore for that imho in a game....

As CCP puts it: "Because space would be utterly boring without sound"

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that whatever form it comes in communication with the masses is a must. Almost every real government around the globe takes time to create carefully constructed media pieces. These are created usually for a purposes, to rally people, to get something accomplished, to prepare for war. Imagine the impact of a president of a large corporation in this game, who is much to powerful for you to meet for now, and relaying a message about the greatest threat your corporation has yet to face. And asking his planets to rally together and prepare. So while I definitely agree to monitoring the messages, I feel like they are a necessary part of running a large scale government of any kind. Without them what you would probably get is a whole bunch of large militant groups where everyone was in the army, but you wouldn't have a civilian group because if you don't have a way to talk to all of them and get them to do something to support your army, then they lose their purpose.