Gravity Units

DrParadox

Should we Have Gravity units?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have gravity Units?

• Yes. Ok if you got any more Ideas to add to this Write Down Below.
    • No. If not Please Say why so we can Build on this Down Below

Hello I am here to talk about Gravity Units should we have them or should we just have Gravity Boots?

Here are some ideas from me.

* Have one type of Gravity unit with pulls from one side. Which is the side you have pointing up but in space there is no right side up

* Another one to have is one that Pulls from four different sides like a Cude.

* a Sphere gravity unit and it acts like a Much smaller version of a planet like 1/100s the size or 1/1000s or you can have different sizes and you should not be able to build it all at once you should have to build one piece at a time.

Or we can have all Three

Why would we bother having gravity units you say?

Well maybe I am crazy Or I am on to something.

I think we should have Gravity units cause maybe not everyone wants to keep having their suits on all the time so they don't have their gravity boots on and they may not be on planets all the time. So This would be great to have this work and maybe have Terrain in the ship acting like a Small little Oxygen Creator/ EcoSystem for players. Something Like this  https://i.ytimg.com/vi/eZTnSxW4pOI/maxresdefault.jpg

maybe even have a Renting System for all of this but they even said something like this maybe in the game at launch. (MAYBE) this has nothing to do with what I was talking about got Carried away.

Ok Guys/Gals

What do you think? If you got anything to say that Would be great Rather it is bad or not it all Helps. I'll Write Down any other Ideas that could add on to this.

I'll Add your Ideas for the Gravity Unit Down Below

IDEA'S

* (Edit 12/21/2016)  What if the Ships/ Constructs automaticity had Gravity so like the second you got on a ship that is facing sideways you switch to its gravity Or you could still have the gravity units But ships/Constructs still have its own gravity but it is not turned on intel you put the Gravity Unit on.

PROS

*Adds a Harder Environment to be on a bigger ship without gravity (Which makes it harder for bigger Empires to build Big Ships.

* Could be made with rare Components/Metal.

* Overall adds a Nice new gameplay into the mix

CONS

* Makes it harder for the Devs

* Maybe a lot more Code/Scripting involved 

* Not every player may want this.

As an additional reason to deter gravity units, they could be launched at crewed ships to screw up their gravity, and something the devs don't want is people launching physical weapons at other ships.

I see potential for both simultaneously. Space Engineers just added mag boots, but they don't work in gravity wells.

One if the questions you really need to ask for Dual Universe regarding gravity in space (to which there currently is no answer) is how accelerations and movement will affect players on board ships. If it works like Space Engineers... That's bad. That's what we don't want. Glitchy and difficult to move around.

What I think is going to happen is that there will somehow be a bounding box within constructs, which defines the area that the construct takes up. Within this area players can move freely without feeling the ships acceleration, encouraging crewed ships. It would also be an opportunity to define a direction of gravity for that ship. I have no reason to think this, other than it seems better than all other options taking into consideration what NovaQuark is trying to achieve.

Magnetic boots would be fine I feel, in any situation. I think that should be a default. A gravity unit would extend outside the ship and could possibly lead to complex physics calculations if several were rapidly combined with free floating objects. This would mean that there then still has to be some way of regulating players walking around on accelerating ships, and if that issue is going to be solved I feel it could solve the gravity problem as well.

As an additional reason to deter gravity units, they could be launched at crewed ships to screw up their gravity, and something the devs don't want is people launching physical weapons at other ships.

Different ways to control gravity would be pretty cool.  But i could definitely see it being a bit too complicated also.  It's hard to imagine how the gravity unit would know what was inside the ship and what wasn't.  And it would be strange if the gravity unit just effected the entire area of the core unit, even players outside the ship.

Gravity boots sound like the simplest answer for sure.

It would definitely be fun to be able to control gravity too though.

The idea of using gravity units as a weapon sounds pretty interesting too.  Imagine sticking a second reversed gravity unit to a ships hull right before you board it just to screw everyone up inside.  Definitely lots of possible problems too though.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I assume the insides of ships with contain atmospheres of some kind, so a method for determining that is inside a ship and what is outside will already have to be created. So I personally would like a gravity type of unit that would apply gravity to the insides of ships, requiring differing amounts of power determined by size of ships interior and having a hard limit for a single unit. This way when your outside of your ship you won't have glitchy gravity interactions as with space engineers. However if this is done I believe an option should exist for doing without however it would make life a bit more difficult, thereby giving people incentive to add them to their ships.

Well I assume the insides of ships with contain atmospheres of some kind, so a method for determining that is inside a ship and what is outside will already have to be created. So I personally would like a gravity type of unit that would apply gravity to the insides of ships, requiring differing amounts of power determined by size of ships interior and having a hard limit for a single unit. This way when your outside of your ship you won't have glitchy gravity interactions as with space engineers. However if this is done I believe an option should exist for doing without however it would make life a bit more difficult, thereby giving people incentive to add them to their ships.

No, there is no atmosphere inside a ship. JC said in various videos that it will just not be possible to check every second every construct ingame if there is a breach - too much server load.

Hello newcome to the forums!

Feel free to read the AMA on these very forums, or Alpha Team member Cybrex's FAQ thread to be informed on the game's different aspects, full of words and sources and facts! :D

Cheers.

Hmmmm, I had not read that yet. Ok my point is void then. If it is a choice between gravity that exists in a bubble in and outside of a ship and Mag boots I think I would prefer mag boots. Although maybe there is a work around you could do such as having gravity interactions be turned off when a player is in space, checking to see if a player is in space could prove to be just as server intensive though so I do not know.

Hmmmm, I had not read that yet. Ok my point is void then. If it is a choice between gravity that exists in a bubble in and outside of a ship and Mag boots I think I would prefer mag boots. Although maybe there is a work around you could do such as having gravity interactions be turned off when a player is in space, checking to see if a player is in space could prove to be just as server intensive though so I do not know.

Maybe, who knows, if it's going to come in the game, it would be down the line, with possible planets of heavier Gs (and rarer minerals) popping up.

Mag-boots are a good idea, if you forget the fact that gravity usually wins over magnetism. For EVA? Sure, mag-boots are a good choice, but I'd prefer the lore friendly and more badass "nano-field grappler", essentially, spidermanning our way to victory in zero G and up buildings on planets. And yeah, it would have to be slower the heavier the load of a person is. Inertia is a thing in the game, ships move and accelerate slower, the heavier they are, so should people, but that's just my opinion.

Also, localised physics grids - or more accurately, lcoalised physics spheres of influence - have been the case of r the game. Once you are outside of a planet's gravity or microgravity or w/e, your magboots could work. Within the frame of referrence of the planet's phyiscs sphere, your mag-boots lose potency and become uselss.

Yea that would work for planets turning off mag when your near them, but I wonder if we would just use mag boots all the time on our space ships? I would be fine with that but gravity units would be cooler, here is to hoping we get them.

Yea that would work for planets turning off mag when your near them, but I wonder if we would just use mag boots all the time on our space ships? I would be fine with that but gravity units would be cooler, here is to hoping we get them.

The Core Units, deploy a localised voxel grid around them. The way you place the voxel grid, is the way the grid dictates up and down. The ship's Adjustor module, dictates to the scripts of the ship where the front is and the back is. and by combining Core Unit and Adjustor, you get the full Six Degrees of Movement

So to answer your question, Core Units also deploy a gravity field, I would not think too much about it. If a Core Unit is blown to bits, (or even loses power, who knows) maybe the gravity field is negated and people start floating ,requiring boarding parties to start using their mag-boots.

If there's a gravity element module on the ship, it's going to be even better, although, my guess would be the Devs have combined that function to the Core Unit of a construct.

Hey, if it can be done, it will be done. Imagine having 6 gravity modules on a ship's section, creating a make-shift stasis field where people are suspended on the air. But, as you may understand, this is why I think the function is gong to be tied to one Core Unit on a ship. Gravity Modules make for some really Will E. Coyote scenarios.

Having a gravity generate in a spaceship is not that difficult as for Empyrion Galatic Survival early access game on steam figured out how to do it. Recommend getting the game to see how Empyrion uses gravity generators.

Having a gravity generate in a spaceship is not that difficult as for Empyrion Galatic Survival early access game on steam figured out how to do it. Recommend getting the game to see how Empyrion uses gravity generators.

You can't walk around in a ship while it is moving in Empyrion, though. 

My reason for voting no for gravity units is that I think being in space should be a different experience than being on a planet.

I think the reason many game set in space have some form of gravity units is that we have become accustomed to them from TV and movies.  When someone is filming a show, it is much easier if the actors can walk around the sets than if special effects are needed so they appear to float.  Because of this practical production reason, even ships that always remain in space are designed like vehicles on earth.  Everything is oriented so the same direction is "up".  I think this has had a strong influence on games, even though they do not have the same limitations.

I would like acceleration to be the only way of simulating gravity.  In a stationary construct, there would not be any sense of up or down at all.  That means all surfaces could be used as living area, so they could be structures unlike anything built on a planet. Ships would be more challenging since they would have an up-and-down orientation only while they were accelerating or landed on a planet.  They would need to be designed to be occupied both with and without gravity.

I agree with BenFargo with the acceleration method. This could push players to make more creative gravity simulation methods like constant acceleration or gravity wheels. Perhaps someone could make a cylindrical station with all the buildings on the inside to simulate gravity like at the end of Interstellar.

My reason for voting no for gravity units is that I think being in space should be a different experience than being on a planet.

I think the reason many game set in space have some form of gravity units is that we have become accustomed to them from TV and movies.  When someone is filming a show, it is much easier if the actors can walk around the sets than if special effects are needed so they appear to float.  Because of this practical production reason, even ships that always remain in space are designed like vehicles on earth.  Everything is oriented so the same direction is "up".  I think this has had a strong influence on games, even though they do not have the same limitations.

I would like acceleration to be the only way of simulating gravity.  In a stationary construct, there would not be any sense of up or down at all.  That means all surfaces could be used as living area, so they could be structures unlike anything built on a planet. Ships would be more challenging since they would have an up-and-down orientation only while they were accelerating or landed on a planet.  They would need to be designed to be occupied both with and without gravity.

So you're talking only have artificial gravity by rotating a large ring in space at the correct speed so that those on the inside of the ring are held down by inertia. If we have the rotors and the physics, by all means; however, that may be difficult I don't know of any game where you can have a rotor large enough that you can float through its center like 2010 space odyssey. Then again if you rotate the entire station you wouldn't need a rotor. It comes down to if the game's physics can handle it.