Are voxel blocks going to be affected by rudimentary physics?

Antioch

Tha brings up a good question orbiting be something that you need to do? or even want to do? I know the planets and other celestial bodies are going to be static so it doesn't kill the server but how about creating a satellite array actually orbiting the planet?

Tha brings up a good question orbiting be something that you need to do? or even want to do? I know the planets and other celestial bodies are going to be static so it doesn't kill the server but how about creating a satellite array actually orbiting the planet?

Perhaps. Solar powered, self propelled. It could work, just not in an enormous scale. Mind you, the DPU is up in orbit just to keep the payload out o a grid, having a timer to check in with ground control, make sure it's parameters are all on True vallues and simply go in another orbit.

Even then it might cause some lag to the server if too many are doing this? even just 100 planets each with their own small network of even just 6 satellites (1 in polar orbit 1 in sun-synchronous and 4 in geosynchronous orbit) and that's 600 lag machines essentially.

Even then it might cause some lag to the server if too many are doing this? even just 100 planets each with their own small network of even just 6 satellites (1 in polar orbit 1 in sun-synchronous and 4 in geosynchronous orbit) and that's 600 lag machines essentially.

The way the devs built the server and given my research with the aid of some other members of the forums, I came across some information that dictate that the server is indeed working in a fracture of clusters. Even if the server is continuous and open, with no "hidden" loading screens like EVE's transits, each system occupies a specific node on the server. How one system is outfited and with what does not not hinder another part of the server. It's the idea the Devs bank on mostly for the game to be a niche in the market. It's like... Space Engineers, only with a very deep thought process going on the netcode.

So no, having such a network on a planet won't hinder anyone. The DPUs are handled by the server, not the player's end. And the server allocates resources to keep a populated area up and running, while removing resources from a guy who is out there, in the middle of never and the cross of Nowhere, mining in his own.

Really good point. All though this does make sense 99% of what everyone is talking about is just speculation for now wish we had more info on all the aspects of the game. :P  That my friend is when the real discussions start to happen.

Really good point. All though this does make sense 99% of what everyone is talking about is just speculation for now wish we had more info on all the aspects of the game. :P  That my friend is when the real discussions start to happen.

Although, a really surprising aspect nobody considered so far is to have epic battles in Deep Space, so to avoid any external sources from lagging them both. A sort of Geneva Convention of players to establish some ground rules (or space rules durr) of "Rules of Engagement" for large scale conflict. After all, Deep Space between systems is emtpy and gives room for both sides to maneuver.

I'll be honest, given my knowledge of such things, I can see the devs have thought the netcode before fleshing out the gameplay, which is good. Any gameplay, no matter how fair or balanced it is, can stand against terrible netcode. Which is why I dopped off the hype train for Star Citizen.

Although, a really surprising aspect nobody considered so far is to have epic battles in Deep Space, so to avoid any external sources from lagging them both. A sort of Geneva Convention of players to establish some ground rules (or space rules durr) of "Rules of Engagement" for large scale conflict. After all, Deep Space between systems is emtpy and gives room for both sides to maneuver.

I'll be honest, given my knowledge of such things, I can see the devs have thought the netcode before fleshing out the gameplay, which is good. Any gameplay, no matter how fair or balanced it is, can stand against terrible netcode. Which is why I dopped off the hype train for Star Citizen.

Yeah really why i dropped off the hype train for many games. Lack of stability and then lack of compelling content. But from the sounds of it, they have one of those down already

I thought cyber warfare is about hacking. Drones could be obvious target since they can be controlled strictly by program/script. Anyway, imagine planet defended by drones which ware hacked and turned against their masters :-D. I guess DU scripters will support us with firewalls against such attacks, but every firewall can be breached so such threat will exist.

If it comes to the physic nothing is sure, can't imagine there's machine capable to sustain simulation of huge battle. Machine? Even group of machines... What does 'single shard' even mean? I guess I've been playing SE to much.

Edit: OMG, there was second page... I just hate using forums on cellphone,but it's cheap abroad.

I thought cyber warfare is about hacking. Drones could be obvious target since they can be controlled strictly by program/script. Anyway, imagine planet defended by drones which ware hacked and turned against their masters :-D. I guess DU scripters will support us with firewalls against such attacks, but every firewall can be breached so such threat will exist.

If it comes to the physic nothing is sure, can't imagine there's machine capable to sustain simulation of huge battle. Machine? Even group of machines... What does 'single shard' even mean? I guess I've been playing SE to much.

Edit: OMG, there was second page... I just hate using forums on cellphone,but it's cheap abroad.

That is exactly what cyber warfare is about, And that is a really good point drones would be the most susceptible to such attacks.

As far as what single shard means is that everyone plays in the same universe at the same time with no instances or relms. Kinda how Eve online does it. It will take clusters of servers to run the game. If one of those clusters happens to get overloaded then it starts to pass on information to another cluster to avoid lag. 

As for structural integrity I'm pretty sure that has not been mentioned as of yet but good question. And there will not be collision damage.

I think it's not just the server, but also the fact that you would then need to code in variable fields of gravity, varied points of gravity throughout space, collision vs inertia = stress relations in zero gravity and so on. It would be a lot more complex to do than on a flat surface.

BUT it would be so frigging awesome. Just probably would need to be coded / done differently (I would assume).