Are voxel blocks going to be affected by rudimentary physics?

Antioch

I don't know if this is already mentioned before but are voxel blocks going to be affected by gravity and have some kind of structual integrity like in Medieval Engineers? (Things like structures that can fall apart from gravity when it's not built properly) Here's a link:

And is that mechanism going to be applied in space also? So like if a ship collides with another, will there be blocks and bits of debris flying off?

So, are voxel blocks going to fall if placed in mid air on a planet? If a block isn't connected to a ship, is it going to be by itself or considered to be apart of the ship for instance, in Starmade you can build ships that have floating objects around it that aren't connected to the ship by any means but still counted as an entirety.

I'm really sorry if this is already mentioned. :/

Real-time torsion and stress forces simulated on a single 8km station alone would be enough to overpower most high-end PCs.

For MMO scales, the server hardware is not quite there yet.

The voxel disconnections you mentioned, however, seem more than likely to be accounted for.

As for structural integrity I'm pretty sure that has not been mentioned as of yet but good question. And there will not be collision damage.

No collision damage? Awww man. Are you sure? That's a huge drawback to the realism of the game however I do understand how difficult would be for the server to handle.

Real-time torsion and stress forces simulated on a single 8km station alone would be enough to overpower most high-end PCs.

For MMO scales, the server hardware is not quite there yet.

The voxel disconnections you mentioned, however, seem more than likely to be accounted for.

Oh right right right, yeah that would be a disaster. I undertand. But I really hope to see voxel connectivity though.

No collision damage? Awww man. Are you sure? That's a huge drawback to the realism of the game however I do understand how difficult would be for the server to handle.

Guess how you'll be seeing enemy ships. Through a radar, since the game is first-person. Navigating in real life using a radar is already a hard job, imagine that in a video-game. The collision will be scaled down, to avoid ramming practises.Except if you'd like on a firing run for an enemy battleship to collide head on with you. Spoiler alert, you won't survive :P

Guess how you'll be seeing enemy ships. Through a radar, since the game is first-person. Navigating in real life using a radar is already a hard job, imagine that in a video-game. The collision will be scaled down, to avoid ramming practises.Except if you'd like on a firing run for an enemy battleship to collide head on with you. Spoiler alert, you won't survive :P

Hahaha good point :) But I thought third-person would be available as well?

Hahaha good point :) But I thought third-person would be available as well?

Perhaps through drones flying around your ship. It's a very possible concept. But those drones will be target practise, so after a firing run with an enemy ship, they'll probably be caught in cones of fire from turrets as well. Not to mentino any possible cyber-warfare.

I know one thing, it will be possible to make a whole in a hull, land with smaller ship, exit it and continue fight right on board of target. So it will be possible to damage voxels. I really hope disconnected parts will create separated entities. I wanna see huge ships cut in half! People sucked into vacuum with terrible scream heard only inside their helmets! I wanna see huge parts flying around, obstructing way lesser ships, leaving scars even deep wounds on their hulls. I wanna see see it all! Pain, destruction, loss... If it comes to structural integrity from ME I'm against it. To much performance impact, althou static planet station cut from ground should be affected by physic, like ship with all negative impact. Let's face it, DU will not be physical simulator, it will have to use lot of shortcuts to simplify calculations in the same time keeping impression of relative realism.

I know one thing, it will be possible to make a whole in a hull, land with smaller ship, exit it and continue fight right on board of target. So it will be possible to damage voxels. I really hope disconnected parts will create separated entities. I wanna see huge ships cut in half! People sucked into vacuum with terrible scream heard only inside their helmets! I wanna see huge parts flying around, obstructing way lesser ships, leaving scars even deep wounds on their hulls. I wanna see see it all! Pain, destruction, loss... If it comes to structural integrity from ME I'm against it. To much performance impact, althou static planet station cut from ground should be affected by physic, like ship with all negative impact. Let's face it, DU will not be physical simulator, it will have to use lot of shortcuts to simplify calculations in the same time keeping impression of relative realism.

The whole concept of the disconnected parts and hull integrity breaches being evident, is due to how Area of Effect is calculated.  The game is going to probably sport EVE's time dilation to slow things down for both the server load to be processes with ease and the players' PCs not exploding. The point is, that the concept of destroyed voxels is not far-fetched, as I said, WoW did follow a field-of-attack approach, with rogues being unable to backstab you from the front, while their Gouge skill only acting from a front semi-circle. The same idae can be applied here, for the game to calculate voxel destruction, by comparing Area of Effecs. If you hit an enemy ships frame right on the noggins and smash it, that is going to put strain on the entire structure, perha,s even cleaving it in half. But you got to realise, ships won't stay put and pew-pew. They will be space-jousting in a way. Timing is the essence of the amount of damage you will do. Bad diming, little damage, right timing, boom, you might even split the enemy ship in half, or even worse, cut its circuits and leaving it to float helplessly as you make a turn for another firing run.

And what i mentioned above about area of effect, it IS the shortest cut to calculating damage with a lock-on area of effect style gameplay. The servers are also the key component on not cracking under pressure, as the devs really bank on their new tech to support the game, where it isolates a sepcific area given the number of players present in that part of the server, making the rest of the server go smoothly, as it allocates resources to help the area of the clashing of fleets.

Given the devs continuous way of shutting down nay-sayers, I would not be surpised if they came out with a video of 1000 ships duking it out just to prov their point.

Nope.

A 3rd Person Drone camera has already been mentioned by NQ.

And i highly doubt the drones will be visible or destructible.

Nope.

A 3rd Person Drone camera has already been mentioned by NQ.

And i highly doubt the drones will be visible or destructible.

It's okay bruh, I got a plan B already.

Also, if you could give me a link for the commentary on the 3rd person view, that would be awesome.

If player-made voxel blocks are going to be affected by physics, then entire constructs would be too. Of course with thrusters and such, you can affect the physics. If a piece of your ship detaches, it ought to continue moving at a constant velocity, determined by the circumstances at the time of detachment.

I can see simplified Newtonian physics being implemented fairly easily, but not relativity since it involves time dilation. Time has to move forward at the same pace for everyone. Unless they implement slo-mo for time dilation effects. But that's slo-mo not time dilation. As a person (or a server), I see that time passes the same, no matter what.

For static structures, there should be the same kind of voxel station mechanic that SE uses. I think this was demonstrated briefly in the recent gameplay footage.

Third Person

First paragraph

Most of the time you get to control a given ship, among a set of predesigned ships, either in first person view within the cockpit (Wing Commander style), or from a third person view outside of your ship (Eve Online style). You will be able do that in Dual Universe too, but there is more.

If player-made voxel blocks are going to be affected by physics, then entire constructs would be too. Of course with thrusters and such, you can affect the physics. If a piece of your ship detaches, it ought to continue moving at a constant velocity, determined by the circumstances at the time of detachment.

I can see simplified Newtonian physics being implemented fairly easily, but not relativity since it involves time dilation. Time has to move forward at the same pace for everyone. Unless they implement slo-mo for time dilation effects. But that's slo-mo not time dilation. As a person (or a server), I see that time passes the same, no matter what.

For static structures, there should be the same kind of voxel station mechanic that SE uses. I think this was demonstrated briefly in the recent gameplay footage.

Third Person

First paragraph

But there's more. As there was more on the "EVE lock-on". My guess, it wil lbe a thing meant for the sole purpose of a quick "look around" style, as EVE is top-down, not really third-person, as in Warcraft 3, you COULD go 3-person, but in reality you were moving on a two dimensional plane, which, obviously, Dual is not.

My guess is it will be a thing for people to get to see if they have been damaged and where, as I can't see someone able to look at an in-game screen while on 3rd person view mode, nor press any of the cockpit widgets to begin with. It's an added feature, and this confirms it, but I don't think combat will be focused as such. Third person would help on other things cause last time I've checked, people were mostly bad at driving as it is in real lfie, parking as well. Last thing you want is to hit someone's ride and then an intergalactic war to errupt pronto. :P

I can't remember where the discussion on drone cameras happened.  

But the choice between 1st/3rd person view is mentioned in the dev blog here https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2015/01/30/multiplayer-ship-crew/#more-391

Velenka did point it out good sir, thank you for your response either way :P

Perhaps through drones flying around your ship. It's a very possible concept. But those drones will be target practise, so after a firing run with an enemy ship, they'll probably be caught in cones of fire from turrets as well. Not to mentino any possible cyber-warfare.

Wow, a cyber-warfare would be pretty cool. Just imagine having drones protecting your home planet in orbit.

What do drones have to do with cyber-warfare?

Oh, I just thought that cyber-warfare might be really cool and if there's going to be planetary warfares, I thought drones might have something to do with it at some point so I came up with an idea of having drones protecting the planet.

Oh, I just thought that cyber-warfare might be really cool and if there's going to be planetary warfares, I thought drones might have something to do with it at some point so I came up with an idea of having drones protecting the planet.

Oh yeah me and a few people have already been talking about something like that. I just wasn't sure what the like was you were talking about.

This is very true, but dependent on how much storage each can have. 

Hide a DPU in them, add a paramter that if one is to lose contact with the Command Center on the ground to implement reboot protocols. It doesn't have to be in "one of them". It's in all of them. It would take time and planning, but if wireless DPU connection exist, know that it will be done :P

True but also seems a bit pointless for a game where you can just store the data on your own rig or nas  :P

If you are offline, nobody will be able to manually reboot your DPU network on a planet. You'll need contingencies for that. Last thing we want is an N3 losing 200 system in the North because a traitor rebooted the JSOC Command Center and the planet was left at the mercy of xXx_KeemStarFan2011_xXx . And I know that I will be running a stealth drone in orbit, keeping an uplink with the my control center if wirless DPUs can be introduced in the game. I ain't trusting anybody with anything. :P