Weaponization

Cirtex

as this game is going to be based around these massive groups and is going to develop and grow through the players. i wonder about War. both on the ground and in the sky, and even beyond that! so I'm wondering the set of weapons we will get. but I'll tell you what i DON'T want, i dont want Space Engineers, where the weapons are just larger versions of the same thing and the only way to get varitey was through MODS. I'm wondering what the Assault rifles will look like. Pistols, SMGs, shotguns, snipers, RPGs, LMGs, Gatling guns. i understand why none of this has been shown in the current version of the game but still it's something i REALLY look forward to. i really dont want just 3 variants of the same thing, and larger and smaller variants of also the same thing. i hope they do have a portion of development where they focus strictly on combat and weapons. it's gonna be something that will happen in this game, and i don't think ANYONE wants a clunky combat system on the ground or in the air. 

Ship weapons are unlikely to be at release, and the game is not using your regular FPS (see Call of Duty) player vs player combat. There is likely going to be a rifle and a pistol at the start of alpha, but what I am hoping for is a modular weapon system (think create your own guns by combining parts, like a more complex version of Fallout 4's weapon mods).

Ship weapons are unlikely to be at release, and the game is not using your regular FPS (see Call of Duty) player vs player combat. There is likely going to be a rifle and a pistol at the start of alpha, but what I am hoping for is a modular weapon system (think create your own guns by combining parts, like a more complex version of Fallout 4's weapon mods).

im hoping for something more Dead Space 3.

Have you see that Crowdfunding counter? It's getting to that 650K goal as it seems :P

Dead Space 3 style hand weapons would be awesome. I used to spend tons of time at the bench trying out all sorts of different weapon combinations... The weapon making and animations they did were my favorite parts of the whole game!

Unfortunately, I don't see NQ going so in depth with handgun mechanics. It doesn't really seem to fit the style of the game; combat will generally be between constructs, and it's definitely not meant to be a shooter. Still, it'd be neat! But again, I don't see personal weapons ever going very deep. Just my guess of course.

I'm hoping for a good non-lethal stun gun for the sports that the new-ish organisation, called Dice, is setting up. With a non-lethal gun, you could play laser tag or something while floating in an asteroid field as a sort of relaxed fun or a training for your organisations military.

Dead Space 3 style hand weapons would be awesome. I used to spend tons of time at the bench trying out all sorts of different weapon combinations... The weapon making and animations they did were my favorite parts of the whole game!

Unfortunately, I don't see NQ going so in depth with handgun mechanics. It doesn't really seem to fit the style of the game; combat will generally be between constructs, and it's definitely not meant to be a shooter. Still, it'd be neat! But again, I don't see personal weapons ever going very deep. Just my guess of course.

Weapon modularity and weapon type mechanics are not something exclusive.

EVE has (in total) 8 weapon types, with half of them falling into "Close quarters blast" and "ranged engagenment" with many in-between variants that fit for different engagement ranges.

I.E. : A "sniper" class starship goes for 250mm Railguns, while a medium range ship goes for Dual 150mm Cannons, that are built for 32 Km engagements (relatively short for the max range of 250 km). And as far as railguns go, they got certain mecahnics tied to their weapon type, as in they can penetrate shields better. Now, for DU, that can be emulated in handguns, as in different rifles, with diferent ammo counts (yes, even EVE combat demands you to reload the gun :P).

Besides that, ammunition type also plays a role (something the Devs must have taken a liking in EVE, since they confirmed in the KS update that ammo type is playing a role in combat). So, expect Depleted Uranium bullets to hurt somewhat more than lead ones :P (also, tad bit more expensive).

Besides that, position and orientation plays a role in the combat - something EVE managed to do very well - with the way you move and orientate playing a role on if the enemy's hits will glance off of you or if the hit will be a smashing hit - if the algorithm dictates you moved into the trajaectory of the shot that you got hit with. So, a weapon with "faster" bullets, can indeed have more impactful shots.

See? There's a difference between "blingy" animations in weaponry and how in-depth combat can be :P

DU's way of combat is more tactical than "Call of Duty MLG 360 Halo Jump No Scope Headshot". When you engage an enemy and how you move in regards to them plays a big role. All in all, have the best weapon suited for your playstyle.

Let's all hope that one day, NQ will decide to add swords in game as well, with "stances" for combat and timed attacks, so we can have honorable duels like gentelemen.

But what about pistols at dawn?

Wait... aren't gun duels carried out during high noon? Or are you talking of flintlock pistols? >.> Cause that'd be one trippy thing to have, flintlock pistols and spaceships, sounds like a Michael Bay movie in the making.

But well, you know, who knows if down the line we end up dual wielding a pistol and a sword. That'd be nice, although my suggestion still stands, they could use melee weapon with a "stance" system, where you assume a stance, lock and then lunge at the opponent, with stances that can act as defenses to certain attacks or what have you.

Hey, it's an idea but it's definitely not for this thread :P

"

I can't but laugh at the possibility of cutting a projectile with a sword. It will be laser rays that will be sailing through the air, though. Not BB bullets like the one below. 

"

"

I can't but laugh at the possibility of cutting a projectile with a sword. It will be laser rays that will be sailing through the air, though. Not BB bullets like the one below. 

"

Add overexaggerated screams and we got ourselves an anime's plot :P