Exploration Galaxy map

Allude

Hello all

I will start with some question at first.

How it will run the Exploration of the galaxy or universe ?

It will be like all or the most other games? You start you have a map of the Galaxy or universe and you allready know where is what? Or you start nearly like in real life you know nothing your map is empty only with this planets in your System which you can see with your eyes? You  or your Organisation have to explor to find new Systems, have to build up there map and jump bridge´s or to fix jump Position with Signal Satellites or probes ?

The explorat data will be shared in the Organisation of the Explorer automaticly or manuel from the Headquarters ?

Thank you for your time reading my post and maybe answers.

LG

Allude 

NQ has stated that there will eventually be some sort of galaxy map, but how exactly it will work is still not entirely known.

I do hope that exploration data will be able to be sold to interested parties. This would make deep space exploration a bit more interesting.

Well, All we know is that We all start on the same planet. We'll likely be able to see maybe a moon, or possibly another planet, but beyond that, until somebody makes space travel, no one will have any idea where anything else is. To get out of the system, we'll have to build the stargates.

Honestly, I find it really exciting to have absolutly no clue where any other planets are until we discover it. Imagine. You're one of the first ones to make a spaceship. Others have been looking for Planet #2, but nobody can find it. You're out exploring and stumble upon it. A whole new world, that thousands of others will colonize, mine, and fly to, all because you had the skills(luck?) to find it first. You'll be remembered forever, as the first person to set foot on a new planet. (Aside from whoever gets out of the inevitable rush to log in first and spawn on Alioth.)

Well, since you will actually need probes to go to other systems via Stargates and the same probes are used to gather knowledgge of what planets and what minerals exist in such systems, the answer is "yes, but not really".

Chances are, that on board a ship, a module could hold the data as of the "star map", with stars you never visted not showcasing any inf (which could lead to a lot of tactical advantages, if a faction was to have "secret maps" by limiting visibility to its members).

So, for all purposes, the stars are there, yes, but if you have never gone there, you won't have any data regarding them.

Your faction has a suspicion that the enem faction is building a forward base of operations in a nearby "dead" system? You don't got maps of it? Send a scout to map the area for you.

As for ground maps, An actual mapping process could be done to "scan" the planet as a whole, which  data could be loaded to a ship's module and thus to the star map itsel. Who knows? 

Cheers.

Well, All we know is that We all start on the same planet. We'll likely be able to see maybe a moon, or possibly another planet, but beyond that, until somebody makes space travel, no one will have any idea where anything else is. To get out of the system, we'll have to build the stargates.

Honestly, I find it really exciting to have absolutly no clue where any other planets are until we discover it. Imagine. You're one of the first ones to make a spaceship. Others have been looking for Planet #2, but nobody can find it. You're out exploring and stumble upon it. A whole new world, that thousands of others will colonize, mine, and fly to, all because you had the skills(luck?) to find it first. You'll be remembered forever, as the first person to set foot on a new planet. (Aside from whoever gets out of the inevitable rush to log in first and spawn on Alioth.)

Finding it is one thing, if you really wanna be remembered then go for broke and set up the first colony too :P

Another thought on this topic. Given that we'll be members of corporations, and exploration and use of probes will be more aligned to organisation activities given statements on type and duration of resource investment ex probes. I wonder how exploration knowledge could be shared between players, organisations, factions. I'm wondering whether every organisation need to conduct exploration - will exploration knowledge be shared globally or by faction (ex. faction research in anarchy online), or even individually (like no mans sky).  if individually could it be shared across players like bookmarks were in the early days of eve. Interesting times. 

Another thought on this topic. Given that we'll be members of corporations, and exploration and use of probes will be more aligned to organisation activities given statements on type and duration of resource investment ex probes. I wonder how exploration knowledge could be shared between players, organisations, factions. I'm wondering whether every organisation need to conduct exploration - will exploration knowledge be shared globally or by faction (ex. faction research in anarchy online), or even individually (like no mans sky).  if individually could it be shared across players like bookmarks were in the early days of eve. Interesting times.

I am hoping for something modular. Parts of exploration data that can be shared between players or sold on the marketplace. A galactic map which you can share, partly or as a whole, with your friends or organization as you see fit. Indeed interesting times.

I'd love to not have a map. Doing research and gathering information from that would be much more important. Data selling (or stealing) would be intrested mechanics. Imagine a organisation that is the only to know about a system, they could escape from a battle (knowledge=power). In most games only items ahve a value, but if it would be cool to sell informations about anything (for example, you pay a spy in war for the coordinates of an enemy station)

I am hoping for something modular. Parts of exploration data that can be shared between players or sold on the marketplace. A galactic map which you can share, partly or as a whole, with your friends or organization as you see fit. Indeed interesting times.

That's the way I also hope it goes.

This way scouts would have to actually return back from a mission in enemy territory with detailed mapss (or even outlines?) of a military base from above, or a complete 3D layout that can be loaded and fired up in an in-game 3D holographic projector for tactical planning.

In essence, you got a scanner module (like a weapon) that "photographs" a particular area, and whatever "ammo" you put in it, it turns into maps of soomething you printed, compelte with full data, like buildings, mass, volume, etc.

This could be even broken down to seperate modules for either mining or pathfinding oeprations. I mean, scanner modules are gonna be needed for spaceships, a printed readout would only be something an actual scout would have to do, in order to "Save" the scanning, something that explorers would also have to do, in order to sell ore locations and that way, an organisation could even piece together a map, by people who are paid in-game to map a certain area of space.

Just think of people actually setting up border checkpoints before letting ships through Stargates, just to see if there are any "illegal" maps of the star system, or even straight out bans of certain modules within a system.

That's some JAmes Bond setups right there. :P 

Is that guy on a merchant barge a merchant or a spy? :o

P..S. : Yeah, this kind of suggestion also implies a black market for maps in-game, in order to get the location of an enemy's Pearl Harbor

• 5 months later...