FTL and jump drives?

So in the interview with captain shack one of the things JC and shack discussed was sending a drone for a stargate. JC said that once the drone is where you want it then you need to "jump" to it. so does this mean that we will get both a jump drive and an ftl drive?

For those who have not seen this you can watch it here.

So in the interview with captain shack one of the things JC and shack discussed was sending a drone for a stargate. JC said that once the drone is where you want it then you need to "jump" to it. so does this mean that we will get both a jump drive and an ftl drive?

He meant the probe can deploy as a beacon, since this is what I gathered from the consensus of the Ask Us Anything responses. E.G. you send a drone, it takes real server time to go there, maybe it's a week of interstellar server time, maybe a month, who knows,  but once it's there, you can jump on it on the spot, a the probe acts like a homing beacon so your FTL won't overshoot it, but  only YOUR ftl drive. Once you get there, you can create stargates for mass transit. It's an organic process and not a "drone, check, timeer, check, proto colonisation". It's a good and thought out process in my opinion.

Plus, it gives an opportunity for spies to emerge as they deploy a probe and then relay its coordinates to the enemy so they can bypass the stargate, like a siege ladder would act in the case of a castle.

*Paranoia intensifies*

Also, they spoke of a massive ship being able to deploy a warpbubble that can carry an entire fleet to a probe, this way, black-ops groups could take off to a whole new level.

He meant the probe can deploy as a beacon, since this is what I gathered from the consensus of the Ask Us Anything responses. E.G. you send a drone, it takes real server time to go there, maybe it's a week of interstellar server time, maybe a month, who knows,  but once it's there, you can jump on it on the spot, a the probe acts like a homing beacon so your FTL won't overshoot it, but  only YOUR ftl drive. Once you get there, you can create stargates for mass transit. It's an organic process and not a "drone, check, timeer, check, proto colonisation". It's a good and thought out process in my opinion.

Plus, it gives an opportunity for spies to emerge as they deploy a probe and then relay its coordinates to the enemy so they can bypass the stargate, like a siege ladder would act in the case of a castle.

*Paranoia intensifies*

Also, they spoke of a massive ship being able to deploy a warpbubble that can carry an entire fleet to a probe, this way, black-ops groups could take off to a whole new level.

So basically the FTL drive kinda acts as a jump drive but only when it has a single. Otherwise you just move really fast.

So basically the FTL drive kinda acts as a jump drive but only when it has a single. Otherwise you just move really fast.

And possibly, for balance in territory warfare, not at all, due to the "hazards" involved. You could collide with a black hole possibly, like a beatle dashing though the ground only to smash against something to know it arrived anywhere.

consider in that NQ-Nyzaltar said in the ask us anything event thread.

"We have in mind to introduce FTL drives at some point. We want to gamify this notion, to make the FTL drive a central element of a large ship infrastructure. You can imagine being heavily damaged during a battle and unable to flee because the FTL drive is detroyed or scrambled, which would start a race to try to repair it and escape. Some people in the ship crew will most likely be dedicated to maintenance of the FTL drive, no matter what. To clarify: the goal of FTL drive is to allow your ship to do interplanetary travel.

Interstellar travel will be the realm of Star Gates, which is another matter entirely. FTL is just "super fast speed" with something like the Alcubierre warp bubble as the underlying tech, and Star Gates are about "instant travel between two nodes" with something like wormholes as the underlying tech. We are not yet sure whether ships in FTL mode will have a physical presence on the server side, if they will effectively travel in some hyperspace and can be intercepted."

this sort of makes me think that once the drone reach's the new system we would be able to link a stargate to it and have a one way system to send players there. once on the other side they could make the stargate to jump back.

not sure i like that idea, as i think it would be cool to at least have the ability to take the long way to a solar system and avoid using the gate networks.

• 1 month later...

consider in that NQ-Nyzaltar said in the ask us anything event thread.

"We have in mind to introduce FTL drives at some point. We want to gamify this notion, to make the FTL drive a central element of a large ship infrastructure. You can imagine being heavily damaged during a battle and unable to flee because the FTL drive is detroyed or scrambled, which would start a race to try to repair it and escape. Some people in the ship crew will most likely be dedicated to maintenance of the FTL drive, no matter what. To clarify: the goal of FTL drive is to allow your ship to do interplanetary travel.

Interstellar travel will be the realm of Star Gates, which is another matter entirely. FTL is just "super fast speed" with something like the Alcubierre warp bubble as the underlying tech, and Star Gates are about "instant travel between two nodes" with something like wormholes as the underlying tech. We are not yet sure whether ships in FTL mode will have a physical presence on the server side, if they will effectively travel in some hyperspace and can be intercepted."

this sort of makes me think that once the drone reach's the new system we would be able to link a stargate to it and have a one way system to send players there. once on the other side they could make the stargate to jump back.

not sure i like that idea, as i think it would be cool to at least have the ability to take the long way to a solar system and avoid using the gate networks.

You can, it'll just take so long that it'll be thousands of times more efficient to use Gates. At least in the early stages of space exploration. We don't know how fast FTL will get, though I'm certain it won't take less than a few days to get from system to system, at the highest level. Otherwise, stargates would become useless. Heck, even with that speed it'd prolly be a better tactical decision to bypass the stargates altogether 

Resorting to some basic tecnobabble. Yes you need both warp drive and a star gate. The warp drive is fast, Mars in minutes, but getting to a point 16 light years away would still take months or years. Note, this is true in star trek Earth to Vulcan is 30 to 60 days for the any of the Star fleet ships. The fastest ship in TNG only halves the time Enterprise NC 01 takes. Hence the poker games and holodeck.

Thus the stargate is faster. (Even voyager uses them.)

It would also be much more accurate. Space is big, star systems are small targets. Missing could really ruin your life and the life of 10 generation of your descendants. You do not want to jump to a dead star that lacks the resources to build what's needed to jump out or survive. 

It also grants NQ the time to develop interesting star systems to find and drop a few non procedural odds and ends there to be found. 

In terms of lore there is no reason why some other race or population of earth refugees could not be sending out probes and when a good system is found, pack up everything into the cargo bay on a huge passenger liner. Do up their seat belts and jump to the new system with nothing left but empty mines, stone shells of buildings, some weed, and a forgotten box of junk or two. No stargate needed because they are culturally nomads. 

I have an unpublished work in progress with 17 jump drive variants: bomb drive, Satchel drive, John DeChancie's red shift free way, etc. Novaquark is using three from that list by complete accident and has talked about a fourth.
It also has three variants of hyper space, 4 wormhole options and several STL ship variants. 

Novaquark choices are for good reasons. You should like the result. If you don't there is ten more space games out there with ten more on the way and the technology for all of them will be ex patent in 7 to 10 years.