Terawa

Hi, first of all correct me if this thread has already been opened somewhere else. If not, well one thing came to mind. What if there could be some in game activities, such as Chess, Texas Hold'em and 8 Ball Pool in the game world. They could be pre-defined models you could purchase or craft in the game. This would bring more reasons to come to play. I don't know if you guys have heard of a game called Puzzle Pirates. If not well it's pretty much what the name suggests: Being a pirate and sailing while doing various puzzles etc. anyway in that game I think this was implemented brilliantly. If I wanted a break from sailing and pillaging then I could just go to the nearest tavern and play some game like Texas Hold'em among few others and relax, completely away from the sailing stuff. 

This would also bring meaning to some of the buildings in a city or a colony. For example there could be a community hall, where players could gather between their travels, sit down and play together. Some variety to the game + at least something as a heritage from planet earth.  ;)

Well this is just one idea among others and could obviously be implemented later as there are 1000 more important things right now, but anyway.  :)   

Thanks for the suggestion, and welcome to the forums! My first thoughts on this is that I think it's a bit of a stretch to ask for specifically programmed games within the game (what you're suggesting makes me think of GTA V, I remember getting into a game of darts with a friend and we couldn't figure out how to win or lose, or even leave the game, was funny). It just doesn't seem to fit the style the developers seem to be going for.

Now, players can certainly try and make things like this happen. It might have to be something like Tabletop Simulator, a game where you have the pieces and the physics engine, but it's up to the participants to play by the rules- so the game doesn't have the rules of chess programmed in it, but rather it give you physics and a chess board and chess pieces and you can do what you want with that. Scripting will be a thing too, which could help with smaller games within the large one. Dual Universe will be player driven and there will be a lot of tools and freedom, so it could definitely happen! Custom GUIs will be a thing too, so you might even be able to make full fledged virtual versions of the games you're suggestion, in community buildings that could become pretty popular.

Haha, the GTA V thing was funny and I cannot play it either.  :D I agree that it'd be a stretch for the programmers, thus this could be saved for later. 

What comes to the programming, that certainly sounds cool. probably 90% of players couldn't do it so it so it would also create a market for game programmers (inside a game ironically :P

I definitely like the idea of some kind of mini games within the game.  

I was also thinking it might be cool for there to be some kind of golf like mini game or something that involves the terrain.  So coarse building could be as much of an activity as playing the game itself.

I also love the idea of simple board games too.  I've wasted a lot of time playing checkers in Assassins creed games.

Games that depend on physics (like most ball games) will depend on the in game physics. If they don't move around when hit, then the ball games simply won't function. So we will have to see.

Board games with moving pieces should be doable, even if it's the players themselves enforcing the rules. Though the size of the board would again depend on how it all hangs together in game. If GUIs are customizable in game then these games might not even be made up of voxel pieces.

More ideas? Post em here and/or come chat on the DICE discord: https://discord.gg/B6a48gr

Well, depends, if the Lua scripts in-game are highly versatile, chances are people may even create (or re-create) some 8-bit games for in-game "consoles".

This way and depending if the devs will enable info to be shared between different screens in-game, a Texas Hold'Em game could be made via screen interaction (because in-space, you do not need paper :P ).

As for puzzles... I mean... trying to figure what's the best ship design and fitting is kind of a puzzle of the highest order... so yeah, you could say puzles are a thing.