Different Types Of Planets

TheAtlasWarrior

Hi everyone, so I'm wondering if it will be possible to have different kinds of planets besides terrestials, for example, Gas Giants, water worlds, ice planets. I know that the game will have procedurally generated planets, but is it still possible? and if at least gas giants will be possible, it would be cool if it was possible to harvest gas from them for multiple uses, like weapons, fuel and much more.

I don't think there are too many details about specialty planets like this yet. Water is something that will be in the game at some point, and I can't imagine there wouldn't also be ice, so a water world is certainly a possibility, though the amount of processing power required for an entire planet of water might be undesirable.

As for gas giants, that is unknown at this point. Would definitely be cool to have them in the game, especially if some of them had rings... I would love to land on a moon and look up and see a beautiful crescent world with huge rings hanging in the sky.

It's a possibility that has giants could have an upper atmosphere of fluid similar to water (as in, the mechanics, not the substance) so that you could put habitats in them or fly in and mine them. At a certain point below the surface of the upper atmosphere, the pressure would be too great and your ship would be crushed no matter what (in reality, of course, there's not actually anything generated below a certain point). Would add another area of expertise to the game! Maybe a fuel type only able to be made from harvesting the atmosphere of gas giants. Which, of course, you'd need special skills and equipment to do.

Hi everyone, so I'm wondering if it will be possible to have different kinds of planets besides terrestials, for example, Gas Giants, water worlds, ice planets. I know that the game will have procedurally generated planets, but is it still possible? and if at least gas giants will be possible, it would be cool if it was possible to harvest gas from them for multiple uses, like weapons, fuel and much more.

Nothing is impossible, i think we only need to wait as the game progress forward until we can meet have all of that specific planets.

I'm sure NQ also want to see these in their own game :D

Same, imagine how beautiful and nice it would be to live in colonies located on moons that orbit gas giants, you'd always have something awesome to look at in the sky. It would also make nice trade hubs. The possibilities are endless  :)

I think Gas Giants would come in an expansion (it is cool, but not vital). The problem would be that only new systems would have them. Alternatively, you could have gas giants in the game but if you approach them they tear your ship apart (so they are just locations, not voxels), until they release the tech (expansion) to enter them.

I think Gas Giants would come in an expansion (it is cool, but not vital). The problem would be that only new systems would have them. Alternatively, you could have gas giants in the game but if you approach them they tear your ship apart (so they are just locations, not voxels), until they release the tech (expansion) to enter them.

Very true, they could be in the game without finishing their technology or mechanics. There could simply be placeholder gas giants for later! That's a good idea.

Very true, they could be in the game without finishing their technology or mechanics. There could simply be placeholder gas giants for later! That's a good idea.

That's why they call me... Hmm. They don't call me anything. Ah well...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post.

Eventually we need to consider the following type of planets and astronomical objects to be part of the game to make it realistic. 

Stars:

Main sequence stars of spectral classes O,B,A,F,G,K,M and there various sub-groups, e.g. G2V (like our sun) ans sub-sub groups like G2.6 V

Brown Dwarfs of L,T and Y and their sub groups.

Red Giants (spectral class III)

Sub Giants  (sprectral class IV)

Sub Dwarfs (spectal class VI)

Wolf-Rayet Stars

Carbon Stars

White Dwarfs (and their different spectral classes)

Neutron Stars (Pulsars, Magnetars)

Quark and Exotic Matter Stars

Black Holes (and their subtypes, Kerr-Black Hole, Stellar, Supermassive, etc.)

Planets and other bodies by size:

Asteroid > 1m diameter but below the hydrostatic minimum where they become round

Dwarf Planet > below the mass of about the moon

Small selena planets (moon or larger up to the size of Mars)

Small terrestrial planets (Mars to Earth size, like Venus in size)

Large terrestrial planets (Earth to about 3 Earth Mass planets)

Super Earths (3-9 times the mass of earth

Small Neptunes (10-20 times the size of Earth, either gaseous planets with small cores or solid surface with very thick atmosphereres)

Neptune Sized planets (about 0.5-2 times the size of Neptune

Saturnian size planets (in the range of Uranus and Saturn or a bit larger)

Jovian sized planets (Jupiter and larger to the threshold where they become Brown Dwarfs)

Distance to their star:

Scorced, hot, warm, temperate, cold, icy, frozen (warm, temperate and cold in the goldilocks zone)

Thickness of the atmosphere:

non existant to as heavy as jovian planets atmospheres

Gravity:

from objects the size of a small asteroid to something needed to create supermassive black holes (gravity coudl depend regarding the elements and density a planet is made off)

Surface properties:

Land, sea, flat ocean, deep ocean, only ocean, molten rock, other configuarations (e.g. on Titan or "frozen floating ice" such as in Interstellar)

Other factors could also be the axial tilt creating seasons, orbital parameters (circular or eliptical), bound rotation or turning, efect(s) of moon(s) on the planet, etc.

Moreover we need other astronomical objects such as interstellar nebulae.

The team should also include some "unforseen" objects such as ripped space-time, natural wormholes and smaller sub universes spawning off the main one with different physical properties. 

Would be cool to add.

The program Space Engine would provide a good reference for the developers in which direction to head regarding the scientific accuracy of the Dual Universe. 

Good luck with the creation of the game...

snip

You could just categorise them as terrestrial planets, gas planets, asteroids/comets. Note that gas planets will not be visitable at release (can't find the quote, but I know it is there) and may not exist at all. 

• 2 weeks later...

You could just categorise them as terrestrial planets, gas planets, asteroids/comets. Note that gas planets will not be visitable at release (can't find the quote, but I know it is there) and may not exist at all. 

I would add barren or lifeless planets to this list but other than that I completely agree with classifying them like this.

I would add barren or lifeless planets to this list but other than that I completely agree with classifying them like this.

There will be different biomes for planets ingame like

Deserts

Forrests

Mountainrange

Grassland

Every planet will be lifeless, except for players and some few npc creatures. At release that is.

Ah let me rephrase what I said, in addition to the above mentioned classes of planets I would like to add uninhabitable planets, or ones you can't live on with terraforming them. This assumes that limited oxygen for space suits exists which I am pretty sure it will. Maybe even some planets that you can't set foot on without a special suit, acid rain or something along those lines. I would like to see different tiers of difficulty in setting up a base on a planet, the easiest of which would probably be planets like the original one we will awaken on.