Base defense / digging around bases

Xtreme

Heya...

just saw that Asteroid base video again...they dig into the asteroid, put some turrets at the entrance and voilà we have a defended base.

But what if someone wants to raid that base? can he just dig from the bottom up until he reaches the bases interior?

Will there be "a bubble" around structures preventing other players from digging around/into your base?

If no...base defense will be useless
If yes...what's the point of building structures NOT in the ground?

greetings

There is nothing that prevents this.  Except it is really really slow.  Try this in Space Engineers against a live turret.  You have to start quite far off and digging a tunnel takes a long long time.  Most don't have the patience for this.

I am unsure of the current thoughts on how shields are to be implemented, but I would guess they are spherical shields.

mhh...this asteroid in the vid didn't look that big...and you only have to dig a corridor for yourself...I think thats a valid option if you want to minimize the risk on your side...

I really hope there is some protection against that.
I mean...where is the point in having a spacestation for trading when everyone who lands on it, could destroy it with his nano thing? Oo

Build a shield - safe for now. Ofc they a spherical, would not make sense if they would be cylindrical.

Lookup the develop on that and various forum entries

Actually, evidence lead us to believe that the shields will be cellular hexagonal domes, similar to carbon molecules in a way, as the claijm tiles are hexagonal themselves. I mean, you can't have a sphere if its circumference is in the shape of a hexagon. :P

mhh...this asteroid in the vid didn't look that big...and you only have to dig a corridor for yourself...I think thats a valid option if you want to minimize the risk on your side...

I really hope there is some protection against that.

I mean...where is the point in having a spacestation for trading when everyone who lands on it, could destroy it with his nano thing? Oo

Feel free to read up on the RDMS Devblog in these very forums. Long story short, within a space desginated as belonging to a crtain individual or an organisation, some actions may be negated, that includes : 

- Editability of the Construct / Territory (No mining, no deletion of voxels)

- No fighting (no PK or PvP )

- No entry (Possibility of it at least,so you can deny your enemies from trading within your own trading station thus stealing money off of your circulation)

These Duties (the D in Rights & Duties Management System / RDMS ) can be circumvented, possibly via some hacking skillset that enables infiltration and demands player-run security forces to fight them off.

Remember, a Safezone is the only REAL safe place to be and they will be rare and quite possibly, only the Arkship's Safezone will be perma-immune (as it's the place for newbies to experience the game's mechanics).

Anything else, is just a Protection Bubble. Sure, Protectino Bubbles are SAFER than the world outside of them, but they are not a magic shield that negates threats. They can be taken down, with more ways than one. This game is about Risk and Reward. Take out the Risk and life in a city becomes dull and monotonous. :P