Choice of Game Engine

Trinax

Greetings,

I've been following the progress of Duel Universe for quite some time now, and so far I'm loving the idea and what they've made so far!

I have one question, though, which has made me very curious. Why do they develop this game in UNIGINE and not in UE4 or Unity? I might lack some knowledge and information about the differences between these 3 game engines, but from my understanding, UNIGINE are great when it comes to rendering, but so is UE4 and the cost of using UNIGINE is so expensive that a lot of developers doesn't use it at all, as they can bring out a very similar result from using UE4 (Maybe Unity as well?).

Keep in mind that the information that I've gathered, comes from reading and doing research, so correct me if I'm wrong! 

This question will be irrelevant if they don't use UNIGINE anymore, as I gathered that info from wiki.

The question in short is:

Why choose UNIGINE when there are so many other engines out there who can bring a very similar result?

The why is simple. Unigine is an engine that fits the scope of the game. UNIGINE2 is an engine that can create amazing virtual enviroments in a celestial scope. Unreal is more of a "pretty looking but contained" kind of engine. What the UNIGINE lacks in graphics (something that is irrelevant when it comes to gameplay) it gains in size. You simply can't have the level of tesselation UNIGINE provides in Unreal.

Also, UNIGINE has some pretty neat tricks folded within it, that it makes it suitable for Aerospace Industry simulations. Let that sink in. You know an engine is good on its complex calculations, when actual, real-life engineers trust on its projected simulations :P  Bonus points for being russian Aerospace engineers,

I hope this answer covers your curiosity. UNIGINE2 is perfect for DU's scope. :)

heres a direct quote the devs said of the switch 

We had been working with Unreal Engine 4, which has lots of incredible features and excellent rendering quality, but some of the things we wanted to do were more complex, or would have required us to branch the source code of Unreal to basically make our own version. Unigine 2 is much more low level and thus provides us more flexibility and computational power. Unigine 2 is perhaps less developed than Unreal regarding the game engine side (level edition, assets integration, etc, even if this is progressing rapidly and should improve in the near future), but as we generate everything procedurally those features are less relevant for us.

However, the freedom in low level modification and the clear focus of Unigine 2 towards large scale open world rendering was a perfect match for us. It also gives us a great platform to develop our own PBR (Physically Based Rendering) shading framework. We have already started to work with our engineers on many other rendering technologies on top of Unigine 2 features, that will enable us to provide really cool stuffs visually.

Unity - massive bloat.

UE4 - less bloat but wide open to cover any type of game

UNIGINE - low level giving game creators greater control without carry the bloat they don't need.

Sure it may come with a greater price tag but I am very happy they have chosen this path. It shows they do care about quality of this game. They are not going for templates or plugins to make things happen on the screen. That was one of the biggest factor why I supported them on Kickstarter. They have great vision for a game. but not getting stuff done for sake of show something quickly for Kickstarter campaign. They took their time and selected right tools to do the job. It gave me more faith. 

UE4 has lowered their price and went down to low end market. Get up prototype quick, create Kickstarter campaign, monetize, publish on steam and abandon. This is a reality of early alpha access games these days. 

Unity is even easier to get up and running for a cool demo sake.

What DU team represents choosing UNIGINE for me personally is correctness. Build good solution from ground up, rather than do a quick mock-up and try to solve problems later that may become impossible in the future.

I'm developer myself and when I red their dev blog I fell in love in game concept being so close to my own visions and the fact is a right team to do the job. They know what they talking about. This title will be huge! :)

Unity - massive bloat.

UE4 - less bloat but wide open to cover any type of game

UNIGINE - low level giving game creators greater control without carry the bloat they don't need.

Sure it may come with a greater price tag but I am very happy they have chosen this path. It shows they do care about quality of this game. They are not going for templates or plugins to make things happen on the screen. That was one of the biggest factor why I supported them on Kickstarter. They have great vision for a game. but not getting stuff done for sake of show something quickly for Kickstarter campaign. They took their time and selected right tools to do the job. It gave me more faith. 

UE4 has lowered their price and went down to low end market. Get up prototype quick, create Kickstarter campaign, monetize, publish on steam and abandon. This is a reality of early alpha access games these days. 

Unity is even easier to get up and running for a cool demo sake.

What DU team represents choosing UNIGINE for me personally is correctness. Build good solution from ground up, rather than do a quick mock-up and try to solve problems later that may become impossible in the future.

I'm developer myself and when I red their dev blog I fell in love in game concept being so close to my own visions and the fact is a right team to do the job. They know what they talking about. This title will be huge! :)

Well, they did build the net-code first, that also shows they always planned for an MMO, and since they realised UE4 wasn't gonna worth it later on for its "pretty graphics" when actual emulations and algorithms would have to be involved in geometric calculations, they did go for UNIGINE2. 

I was indeed surprised when I read that devblog myself as well, but when I got to see what UNIGINE offered, I was like "oh... that makes a lot of sense".

I mean, not to beat on a dead horse, but it seems to me that NQ didn't want to end up in a CryEngine / Star Citizen situation, where they would have to build a lot of the game engine they wanted for the sake of having "pretty graphics" if they stuck with UE4.

Have to agree, I'm glad NQ bypassed the current situation SC is in.  If SC didn't take off like it did, they would never have been able to overcome the hurdles that they have... and will hopefully continue to overcome.  Definitely glad NQ avoided it from the beginning, rather than cater to graphics over gameplay :)