Voxel Weapon Building

Scykopath

Can't seem to find any topics on this but maybe I just haven't searched well enough or with the right key words.

Was there any talk of being able to utilize the voxel system to create custom player weapons such as hand guns, rifles, rockets launchers, etc.? I love the potential that voxel systems yield in terms of creating custom in-game content and I feel like this could be yet another wonderful aspect of the game for players. It could also work the same way as constructs by combining voxels with predefined elements.

I apologize if this has been talked about previously. If anyone has any links to any similar threads I'd love to read through them! <3

"

Welcome to the Forums. 

The option to craft weapons from voxels is currently not planned. You will be able to manufacture, trade and use them, but creating player made weapons from scratch will not be possible -- at least, not yet. 

Here are some threads that you can look up in your spare time:  

Personal Weapons.

Weapon Types

Weapons for the Player

PvP Hand-held Player Made Weapons

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. There's always someone around to help. 

Cheers.

"

Unless the Devs add mult-partial weapon components (focal barrel, linking to capacitor, linking to rotary turret basis for a rudimentary laser cannon) I can't see the whole voxel building of weapoons being a thing.

BUT, you should be able to conceal your nose guns within voxel armor to prevent people from taking pot-shots at them. :P

As stated above, it is not likely. I myself have actually asked this question in a Q n A session with the devs. I don't remember the exact answer, but it's safe to say it would be too much work. Creating a system that allows players to customize and create their own in-game items is like creating an entirely new game by itself. Some items might be unbalanced, others might be overpowered.

At the same time, DU is not just about combat. While it would be nice to have that kind of freedom, having a system like that only for the use of combat would unbalance the features in the game. In other words, one aspect of the game, like combat, in this case, would be much more focused upon than let's say, mining. Making one aspect of the game less rewarding as an experience than the other.

As stated above, it is not likely. I myself have actually asked this question in a Q n A session with the devs. I don't remember the exact answer, but it's safe to say it would be too much work. Creating a system that allows players to customize and create their own in-game items is like creating an entirely new game by itself. Some items might be unbalanced, others might be overpowered.

At the same time, DU is not just about combat. While it would be nice to have that kind of freedom, having a system like that only for the use of combat would unbalance the features in the game. In other words, one aspect of the game, like combat, in this case, would be much more focused upon than let's say, mining. Making one aspect of the game less rewarding as an experience than the other.

Well, if they add movable parts in order for people to create mechs, custom-made voxel weaponry via combining 3D-mesh parts and Voxels is not very far off. The point is, it's a caviat, not the main focus for the team and in truthfulness, indeed as you say, it's too much work to make such a complex systme, at least, too much work with what they want out on launch.

Aso for the "complex and possibly overpowered", remember, these guns follow the same principles. They nee power, ammo, they weigh and they can be very slow to turn (as they are constructs that move on-top of a construct, hence they got inertia modifiers). So, a giant ass gun  would be OP, ONLY iif it managed to kee ptrack of an enemy jet-fightr, not to mentino, being able to hit it, as it's safe to assume, a huge ass gun, would fire huge bullets, who have heavy weight. It's the smae in EVE. Just because I got a battleship with Large Railguns, it doesn't mean I can actually hit smaller ships than me, because thos guns turn very... very...very...slowlly. Also, JC said many times, the game will be complex and they even project that only 5% of the people will be the ones to actually dwell into high-grade voxel building and scripting of ships. The rest wil lbe customers or gun enthusiasts. :P

So no, it's not overpowerd. If by overpowered though you mean "but what if a Dreadnaught goes up against a frigate, shouldn't the frigate fight on equal ground?"

The answer, simply, is NO :P The frigate can zoom around the dreadnaught all day long, but when the dreadnaught's cruise missiles lock, that frigate is scrap metal. :P You can't balance that, etiher voxel weaponry or not.

Bottom-line is still the same, if the Devs add movable parts for battle-mechs in the future by having multiple constructs "latched" onto each other, then player-made voxel weaponry by combining 3D mesh Elements and Voxels is not far off.

Cheers :P

Well, if they add movable parts in order for people to create mechs, custom-made voxel weaponry via combining 3D-mesh parts and Voxels is not very far off. The point is, it's a caviat, not the main focus for the team and in truthfulness, indeed as you say, it's too much work to make such a complex systme, at least, too much work with what they want out on launch.

Aso for the "complex and possibly overpowered", remember, these guns follow the same principles. They nee power, ammo, they weigh and they can be very slow to turn (as they are constructs that move on-top of a construct, hence they got inertia modifiers). So, a giant ass gun  would be OP, ONLY iif it managed to kee ptrack of an enemy jet-fightr, not to mentino, being able to hit it, as it's safe to assume, a huge ass gun, would fire huge bullets, who have heavy weight. It's the smae in EVE. Just because I got a battleship with Large Railguns, it doesn't mean I can actually hit smaller ships than me, because thos guns turn very... very...very...slowlly. Also, JC said many times, the game will be complex and they even project that only 5% of the people will be the ones to actually dwell into high-grade voxel building and scripting of ships. The rest wil lbe customers or gun enthusiasts. :P

So no, it's not overpowerd. If by overpowered though you mean "but what if a Dreadnaught goes up against a frigate, shouldn't the frigate fight on equal ground?"

The answer, simply, is NO :P The frigate can zoom around the dreadnaught all day long, but when the dreadnaught's cruise missiles lock, that frigate is scrap metal. :P You can't balance that, etiher voxel weaponry or not.

Bottom-line is still the same, if the Devs add movable parts for battle-mechs in the future by having multiple constructs "latched" onto each other, then player-made voxel weaponry by combining 3D mesh Elements and Voxels is not far off.

Cheers :P

You are correct with what you say. I suppose it all depends on whether or not the devs decide to do it.

You are correct with what you say. I suppose it all depends on whether or not the devs decide to do it.

Exactly. Although, I got the feeling the voxel-building community and big guns enthusiasts will petition for multi-part interconnected voxel constructs, so we can have custom made artillery pieces :D

Why? Because 'splosions.

Exactly. Although, I got the feeling the voxel-building community and big guns enthusiasts will petition for multi-part interconnected voxel constructs, so we can have custom made artillery pieces :D

Why? Because 'splosions.

Well, I wouldn't mind creating my own military arsenal. Can't say I'd be disappointed if they eventually developed such a system, in spite of the points made above.

Well, I wouldn't mind creating my own military arsenal. Can't say I'd be disappointed if they eventually developed such a system, in spite of the points made above.

Well, the balance that will come with in-game powergrids on constructs, will be the quintessential factor of how powerful a weapon COULD be made via voxel and 3D mesh combos in the future. I mean, for the Devs it would make sense, collecting data on what works and what doesn't in the voxel building, tuning numbers by observing what sells in the market and later on, we get the option for our very own voxel wepaonry. As I said, if they add modular partitions for creating mechas, voxel-made weaponry won't be much behind. If push comes to shove, we'll dress our turrets in nice steel plating that rotates with them  :P

Well, the balance that will come with in-game powergrids on constructs, will be the quintessential factor of how powerful a weapon COULD be made via voxel and 3D mesh combos in the future. I mean, for the Devs it would make sense, collecting data on what works and what doesn't in the voxel building, tuning numbers by observing what sells in the market and later on, we get the option for our very own voxel wepaonry. As I said, if they add modular partitions for creating mechas, voxel-made weaponry won't be much behind. If push comes to shove, we'll dress our turrets in nice steel plating that rotates with them  :P

Well, we could always start a poll asking members of the forum to vote whether they would like custom made weapons in the, perhaps far, future. That way, if it's a huge success and the developers see it, maybe they will consider it.

Well, we could always start a poll asking members of the forum to vote whether they would like custom made weapons in the, perhaps far, future. That way, if it's a huge success and the developers see it, maybe they will consider it.

You see, the problem is not what the community wants, but rather, coding such a function.

That auto-configurator? The Element that sets the scripts by letting them know where the front of the ship is? That must have taken quite some time to set up. Now think of it, and moving constructs on-board a moving construct, that are not seperate entities but part of the whole thing. In essence, a voxel turret would be a single-seater consturct that moves with the larger construct (battleship) but rotates on its own volition and fires as well, wile being hooked up to a grid for power and / or munitions.

Now the real problem is, of course, coding and balance. The devs need to see how their own 3D mesh weaponry works, then they can adjust the data on minor components for a larger weapon system via voxel building

As for your considerations and worries on making a super-large laser that can obliterate a planet, that won't be an issue, since you got to consider the fact that voxel weapons would have to be mounted on a swivel-base, which could have a limit in size and / or power it can feed to the weapon via it. It's just a matter of resource allocation n the development cycle, something that anyone should be fine with. Voxel weapons are not quintessential, voxel building that works right is :P

It's certainly not going to be in the game at the beginning.

One issue is the size of the voxel.  At 25cm (10in.), that single voxel is much bigger than a pistol.

At the moment, all constuction is via Voxels.

However, I could see a high enough level of a builder that could imbue a voxel with a specific abililty, or multiple abilities.  This would certainly allow the creator to manufacture ship weapons.  But I doubt the animations will exist for carrying a voxel like a pistol, rifle, or swinging one like a sword.

I'm betting it will be a LONG time, if we see anything like player built weapons. 

It's certainly not going to be in the game at the beginning.

One issue is the size of the voxel.  At 25cm (10in.), that single voxel is much bigger than a pistol.

At the moment, all constuction is via Voxels.

However, I could see a high enough level of a builder that could imbue a voxel with a specific abililty, or multiple abilities.  This would certainly allow the creator to manufacture ship weapons.  But I doubt the animations will exist for carrying a voxel like a pistol, rifle, or swinging one like a sword.

I'm betting it will be a LONG time, if we see anything like player built weapons. 

Well, indeed, for armaments for a player, not possible via the voxel system, but for Constructs, it's certainly a possibility, it owuld only take multiple components that the players can combine on their own voxel turret designs. But it would take time and resources away from development for the game's rerlease state so, if it can come later on, possibly along with parts for mechas, that would be excellent :P