Roleplay

Seldsum

Hi guys,

Just out of curiousity, how much do you guys think people will roleplay?

Will it be commonplace? Or do you think it will be more along the lines of games like Eve where there is a small part of the playerbase that actively roleplays while the majority of the playerbase then steamrolls over them going "omglol j00 suck!" ?

Looking at the different recruitment posts I think there may be a fair amount of roleplay going on in the universe of DU.

Every pre-alpha community is heavily RP focused with a few small groups sprinkled in who don't role play. This will change in the next two years. But for now, if that's your thing, there are groups who are obsessed with numbers and backstories that I am sure would take you in an instant.

I actually don't see much RP in the current state, but it seems there are some people who confuse seriousness with RP.

Backstories can be considered RP but from my point of view its more creating a basis for possible RP then RP in itself, some people just enjoy to create living and breathing worlds and being creative. Of course there are also people who enjoy the opposite.

I'll be doing a bit of RP, not too heavy though.  Can get weird if it gets to methodical, IMO.  But I do want my actions in the game to match those of the organization I have and the char I'm playing, so yeah, some decisions will be made based on RP, for sure.

Within the organization, we discuss things in a way that is half IC and half OOC. I feel that's likely the way we'll go in terms of in-game RP. On top of that, I know of a few Discord channels who have a dedicated RP chat channel. So yeah, there is already RP going on. Whether or not it stays until the game releases is a possibility, as mentioned above.

If you are looking for RP, it would be easiest to write PM's to people, as apparently people won't say publicly that they do roleplay... 

Arrr me hearty, tharr be landlubbers in our midst arr,scallywags that're reck'ning thay'can roleplay as we do arr.

In all seriousness though, if people want to write excessive backstories to make themselves seem "important", they are free to do so. No matter how much lore they write down will compensate for the people who will actually shape the game after launch, and spoilers, your excessive backstories won't matter then, or the RP you build up for with them.

So, you want to RP, fine, but do it in the confines of the game mechanics. You got the administrational position of a "judge" in a Kingdom? Good, pretend to be an actual judge, use the lingo involved. That's the right way to RP. What troubles me is that people write all these backstories and they DEMAND for them to be taken as lore fact (some of them at least - you know who you are).

If you are looking for RP, it would be easiest to write PM's to people, as apparently people won't say publicly that they do roleplay...

And yes, I'm talking to someone specifically

I play no role. I AM like this. I swear

I think that RP (like that explorer on alioth and survivor of earth) will not be that prevalent.

Metagame (as awoxer for instance) will exist - which is rp too

There's roleplay where you type words into forums, and there's roleplay where you take a particular role "in-game".

I'm not keen on the first, but the latter almost everyone will end up doing.

I think it will probably be like EVE, where only a few people roleplay hardcore, but the general environment is conducive to it. If you think about EVE, even just general statements about the mechanics are not immersion breaking: "Grr, I need to go move my clone from Luse to Ranielles.", "I'm trying to scan down a wormhole but I may need to add more scanning equipment to my ship." "I need to get some new implants." All of those statements are both a reflection of the ingame lore and the actual mechanics, so people don't need to be trying to roleplay to be able to roleplay a bit.

I think it will probably be like EVE, where only a few people roleplay hardcore, but the general environment is conducive to it. If you think about EVE, even just general statements about the mechanics are not immersion breaking: "Grr, I need to go move my clone from Luse to Ranielles.", "I'm trying to scan down a wormhole but I may need to add more scanning equipment to my ship." "I need to get some new implants." All of those statements are both a reflection of the ingame lore and the actual mechanics, so people don't need to be trying to roleplay to be able to roleplay a bit.

Dead on I'd say. Yes DU will have some lore to work with, but everything else is in player hands. Naturally players will just act like this because it's the only way to act when playing. Fortunately, it's a sandbox, and those who want to take it a step further can. That said, don't be surprised when you get steam rolled by another group because you focus on roleplay over practicality. It just is what it is.

Dead on I'd say. Yes DU will have some lore to work with, but everything else is in player hands. Naturally players will just act like this because it's the only way to act when playing. Fortunately, it's a sandbox, and those who want to take it a step further can. That said, don't be surprised when you get steam rolled by another group because you focus on roleplay over practicality. It just is what it is.

Wait, does that mean we abort the plans for erecting a statue to our Lord and Savior, Honeybadger? Bummer.

With introduced tag system to maintain and control each organisation I would say this game has tremendous potential for RP.

If the politics will be elevated to the religious levels... why not to seek a RP opportunity to influence your own people? ;)

I already have a backstory that matches to the realm perfectly (by accident or reading the mood from dev blog) but I am going to exercise an social experiment here. Trying to create a resource based economy society. If this fact will not be a good reason enough I will start RP myself :D

Feel free to join btw

I will roleplay as much as I possibly can. I did it in "Life Is Feudal", "SecondLife" and, most prevalently, "World Of Warcraft".  The RP likely won't be as deeply involved as it was in WoW, but it'll still be something I'm looking for.