Notorious Monsters / Global Bosses /

Hydrashok

I think it would be beneficial to overall replayability and fun factor to make sure rare spawn monsters are present in the game. Make them hard to get to. Make them over powered. Make their drops extra special and extra rare. like weapons, armor or crafting ingrediants. they can be on all sorts of timers like 24hr spawns, once a week or month even. random spawns and so on.  As far as global bosses go we need monsters that are so huge that if there isn't at least 50 people willing to fight it theres no chance in hell of beating it. Many large MMO's implement this in their games and it makes it fun to get together with a bunch of friends and go "hunting"... or hunted.

I think it would be beneficial to overall replayability and fun factor to make sure rare spawn monsters are present in the game. Make them hard to get to. Make them over powered. Make their drops extra special and extra rare. like weapons, armor or crafting ingrediants. they can be on all sorts of timers like 24hr spawns, once a week or month even. random spawns and so on.  As far as global bosses go we need monsters that are so huge that if there isn't at least 50 people willing to fight it theres no chance in hell of beating it. Many large MMO's implement this in their games and it makes it fun to get together with a bunch of friends and go "hunting"... or hunted.

Welcome to the forums. 

The focus of the game is "no NPCs" and "no NPC storylines".

Also, the whole "kill dragon, get plasma cannon" is not something that works in this game as crafting is at its center, not to mention, it's a sci-fi game, not Sword And Sorcery game. It's not Everquest to have humongous bosses roaming the land, requiring 50 people to take down and evn if such bosses were to exist on a planet, I got two words for you : Orbital Strikes".

See? It doesn't work that way in a game like DUAL.

i was thinking mor ein the lines of 5-10 player killabe monster that constructs cant make damage to

i think it would be better to have an npc as a hazzard you have to get rid of to make it safe to occupy a territory

what do you want now?

its not like a quest where you do it for extra resources or what not, its more like cutting a mountain to make space for a building, in this case its killing a monster make the zone safe for the residents of that zone. They are already making cattle like npc's this is just a hazardous npc such as a wolf just harder to kill. its basicly providing another small mountain for players to get rid of. 

oh im not saying start it on release no no, that would screw with new players who cant even fight yet and what not, this is just an idea for planets outside of the starting solar system

As I have said on other threads, I think it would be interesting to have a few "hostile worlds" scattered around where either the weather, terrain, or wildlife (or all three) were particularly dangerous. The planet would have some sort of rare materials or other attributes that would make it worth it to colonize the planet. The wildlife in this case wouldn't be a raid boss or be particularly worth farming on their own; they wouldn't drop any loot. It would simply be a persistent threat to those who tried to colonize the planet. It could also open up some new and interesting gameplay. Imagine stirring up the nest of a hostile creature to get it to attack an enemies base, or timing your sneak attack to coincide with a storm.

Like Twerk said though, npcs in this game would have to work very differently than fro mother games.

NPCs ruin and defeat the purpose of MMOs as far as I'm concerned. If I wanted to fight NPCs I'd play a single player game. I wouldn't mind the threat of NPCs for the purpose of guarding resources, but nothing should be gained (XP, money, loot) when killing them, other than access to the resources, otherwise it would introduce a grind. But even that would make the resources easier to find because the NPC would be a marker for them. So I really don't think they are necessary at all in DU.

NPCs ruin and defeat the purpose of MMOs as far as I'm concerned. If I wanted to fight NPCs I'd play a single player game. I wouldn't mind the threat of NPCs for the purpose of guarding resources, but nothing should be gained (XP, money, loot) when killing them, other than access to the resources, otherwise it would introduce a grind. But even that would make the resources easier to find because the NPC would be a marker for them. So I really don't think they are necessary at all in DU.

How about not only guarding the resource, but be the resource. I'm thinking about crazy Wildlife, that might perhaps be tameable, not in a pet kinda way but as a resource for food etc. (Correct me if i'm wrong, haven't read all the Devblogs yet, but don't our Characters gotta eat something ?)

So right now i was thinking of a resource, and like a vein of ore that is completly mined, if the species is extingt we run out of this resource of food, the prices are getting higher etc.

And for me this would be a more fun factor than getting 50 plus ppl together to get a GatlingLazer +2 ;)

as said before: no npc creatures or tasks or quests. emergent gameplay -> only players

Mm this is slightly wrong. They have stated they are open to adding creatures if enough demand is there. I believe it would be something along wildlife, obviously no storylines or quests and all that jazz.

Mm this is slightly wrong. They have stated they are open to adding creatures if enough demand is there. I believe it would be something along wildlife, obviously no storylines or quests and all that jazz.

As quoted. Wildlife: possible, Farms: possible. But definitely no npc monsters to kill for some bad gameplay which has nothing to do with DU at all

NPc creatures it doesnt say if they are docile or hostile could be a mix dude open your mind :)

Uhm, they did say those animal will be simple animals. The fous of the game is not on THAT kind of PvE, with repetitive bosses that come down to whack-a-mole tactics :P . PvE in DUAL is more about exploring new planets and not dying to said fauna (which is hostile by the way). Fingers crossed, one day we may get a survivalism expansion with food mechanics and bigger planets / deadlier creatures, similar to Wormhole Space in EVE, AKA,  every crazy hermits's happy place.

As quoted. Wildlife: possible, Farms: possible. But definitely no npc monsters to kill for some bad gameplay which has nothing to do with DU at all

This is correct, but that isn't really what you stated.  I would argue wildlife are NPCs, especially if they give certain resources.  I had figured this is what you meant, but I wanted to clarify for others who were not aware of their stance.

This is correct, but that isn't really what you stated.  I would argue wildlife are NPCs, especially if they give certain resources.

Well, you find me agreeing in this, but not in the sense of "kill wolf, get iron bars" kind of situation. More like "hunt animal, get food" or things like "meat" that has carbon tied to it for us to make ration bars.