Symmetry mode for building.

Antioch

This is something that spontaneously came up in my head. Feel free to remind me if this topic has already been mentioned. Thanks.

Okay, so we all know that the building system in Dual Universe is going to be voxel-based. Now, building things in games such as, Space Engineers, Empyrion and Starmade is very easy with the Symmetry mode that works on X,Y and Z axis. But when it comes to Dual Universe, having voxel tools may allow players to build complex structures and more complicated ship designs. So what I'm suggesting is that we should be able to have a building mode that allows players to build things symmetrically. I'm sure there are quite a few problems that can come up, but I'll leave that up to you fellow members.

1+

Symmetry would be a awesome feature, havnt tried starmade or empyrion but space engineers way of letting you decide where to put the mirroring plane is pretty nice and would probarly save people alot of time when building, especially with 25cm big voxels, thats just insane  :blink: 

But i cant think of any problems really? 

Another tool that could be very helpful is radial symmetry.  Initially I assumed this wouldn't be practical in a voxel game but after seeing the tools they have in place I think it's doable.  This could give us a lot of interesting design options and make it easier to break the mold of the "flying brick" style most voxel games favor.  Plus it would allow me to build a proper cylindrical tail-landing rocket.

This has indeed been brought up a while back:

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/508-axes-of-symmetry/

Nyzaltar had this to say:

Hi Alexwright,

If I understood well what you meant, this is something that some devs are already discussing:

Having the ability to "mirror" a pattern (a saved voxel shape) is something that is definitely worth considering  :)

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

Wait... is symmetry/mirroring mode something people have to ask for these days? >_> Am I missing something in the world of voxel-games? What game doesn't have such a tool in there by default? O_o

Wait... is symmetry/mirroring mode something people have to ask for these days? >_> Am I missing something in the world of voxel-games? What game doesn't have such a tool in there by default? O_o

Minecraft?

Minecraft?

Leave voxel grandpa out of it!

I mean, even Landcrap had symmetry/mirror mode in it. It's not that much of an issue, the devs can simply add an inversion tool and boom, it's done.

SE in survival mode does not. I think that's more to do with their building system more then anything, and they do have one in creative mode. I don't really see it being a problem in this game. It is nice just to make sure though.

yeah symmetry mode is a must for any large scale builder game, i would definitely like to be able to do at least 2 symmetry  planes at a time though, empyrion only lets you do 1 at a time which is a lil on the irritating side at times, like when building space stations and what not. starmade lets you do all 3 which comes in handy more often then you would think.
>
but a shape assist feature like starmade has would come in handy say you wanna build a space station with a giant ring or something around it or other similar shapes.

• 4 weeks later...