Job Boards

Mazillus

Job Boards is something the developers plan to add.

My idea to expand on the idea a little by having job board to job board type exploration.

For example you just finished building your city and all the workers either stay or go off to help build another city.

To stop your city from dying out or becoming a ghost city you would construct your own job board within your city which would give you the ability to create a job on the arkship job board.

This would work like an advertisement. You would pay money to get your job to the top of the list. That money would then go to the players taking the job.

This job type would be an exploration job only where you accept the job from the arkship and travel to the corresponding job board in the PoS. Once you've completed it you them might decide to explore the city a bit, check out what's for sale, rent a respawn node, house or take a job from the city's job board.

These jobs should be unique that they can only be completed once per person to stop abuse.

This idea is open to tweaking but the main idea is to encourage players to visit these cities and stations.

well I know my org was already planning on having something like this but it would have both the complicated jobs and far simpler ones like dailies in other games so something like go get x amount of y material or something like that. Just things that give people something to do and keep coming back and playing

A job to spread jobs/messages?  It is an interesting idea. I feel that transporters will pick these up as they haul goods between locations because they are going there anyway. So how will this favor the new player that can afford a small nimble ship? Perhaps multiple people can accept the job but only the first to complete it gets the reward? 

A hauler could take the job but they would only be able to complete it once anyway and chances are that hauler would have completed the explore job before they became a hauler. 

It favors the new player because it requires only a ship and some fuel to travel to these job boards.

I personally would like to see job boards have a subscribe option where you could subscribe to certain job boards you travel to which would then allow you to accept jobs from the subscribed job board from any job board. 

Example would be spawning in fresh, taking an explore job, travel to the job board, subscribe to the job board if you like.

Perhaps the jobs could be broken into two, local jobs and global jobs. These "explore jobs" or "travel to" jobs would be under global allowing you to travel from one job board to another going from city to city. 

A job to spread jobs/messages?  It is an interesting idea. I feel that transporters will pick these up as they haul goods between locations because they are going there anyway. So how will this favor the new player that can afford a small nimble ship? Perhaps multiple people can accept the job but only the first to complete it gets the reward? 

"

Haulers and transporters with large ships will be hardly concerned with the small reward of the job board. To the new player, 22,000 U2 might seem like a lot. Haulers might make 220,000 everyday. 

If the job board involves taking and item from point A to point B, I don't see how multiple people could do that--bearing in mind that removing an item from an inventory does not leave it there. 

For jobs that require things like construction, or assassination or getting an item from point X in a different place, simply accepting the job could invoke a timer. Until the timer elapses, no other player can apply for the same job. That will leave sufficient time for people to get started on the job, without giving one player the ability to hoard jobs.

"

It's not a bad idea, as a way to populate / grow a city. At the same time, perhaps building your city was not such a great idea if you need this to get it started / keep it going.

Still, it couldn't hurt.  :)

Haulers and transporters with large ships will be hardly concerned with the small reward of the job board. To the new player, 22,000 U2 might seem like a lot. Haulers might make 220,000 everyday. 

+10% credits?  Sounds worth it to do a quick check in the local job offers.  The hauler is going there anyway so why not?  But your point is taken, for small enough amounts a big hauler is not going to bother. My point is that he still could.

If the job board involves taking and item from point A to point B, I don't see how multiple people could do that--bearing in mind that removing an item from an inventory does not leave it there. 

If a job (some not all) is not a physical item, it could be spread by multiple people.  The point is to spread the jobs themselves to other job boards. This might not be required if there is a communication relay between the job boards.

For jobs that require things like construction, or assassination or getting an item from point X in a different place, simply accepting the job could invoke a timer. Until the timer elapses, no other player can apply for the same job. That will leave sufficient time for people to get started on the job, without giving one player the ability to hoard jobs.

For the hoard!  There might be a limited number of jobs a person could be doing at any one time, this will actually encourage people to take the most profitable jobs for them.  So the hauler won't bother with the smaller jobs.  Construction jobs seems more like advertising where you still need to apply with the job creator.  I don't think a timer would be a good idea for moving items unless its asking for specific items that the job taker can source from anywhere.

It kinda strikes me as something that will either prosper the economy or people would just not update their job requests so you couldnt distinguish between new and month old proposals.

There should be 2 types of contract types; open or single seed (with a set number of iterations). Open jobs would stay on the board until someone gets paid, then the job is automatic removed. On a single seed, when someone takes the job, it would be removed from the board. On single seed jobs with multiple iterations (cargo or such) you could set as many sets as you wanted and they would be removed as they are taken.