Player Prison?

This is a strange topic but i was wondering if in game we could imprison players? If someone destroys my base and I capture them can i keep them in a prison, or enslave them? I know this is strange but hey its possible.

As much as we would like to put some people away, I don't think it will be viable as long as there is a suicide option.

Without a suicide button, imprisoning someone would then only really work in a safe zone where they can't break the walls to get out. 

Or you could convince your 'prisoners' to come willingly.  :P

Prison system is fine so long as there are checks and balances. If you're able to just hold me against my will indefinitely, then no thank you. The amount of abuse that would receive would be worse than a Hutt tampon. 

The Collective of Cybrex's alts concurrs with the Overmind's assessment.

Maybe something like a Cryostasis Champer could work as prison system?

But the convicted Players will have to give their consent,before they are placed for an X ammount of time.

This would be a good way to punish people,without having to execute them on the spot and deprive them of their gear.

And when their time is complete,reabilitated convicts are free to go,saving all their personal beloggings in the process.

Have a karma system been discussed? As in you have some way of telling whether or not the people you're dealing with have attacked, killed or stolen from people before? 

I'm not advocating this kind of system, but i'm curious to know whether or not is has been discussed.

I doubt the developers will want any sort of prison system. They want this game to grow and retain players, and to do that they need people to remain engaged. If you have a player getting locked up then they are going to log out, and that is the last thing the devs want people doing. Even if they could come up with a way to prevent any "abuse" of the imprisonment system (which they can't, there will always be a way to abuse it), it still adds nothing to the game and only detracts from it. 

There may be some ways to temporarily trap players, but the developers will very likely make sure there is always a way out. And if somehow someone gets well and truly trapped or imprisoned, you can bet that a GM is going to come running to set them free.

Have a karma system been discussed? As in you have some way of telling whether or not the people you're dealing with have attacked, killed or stolen from people before? 

I'm not advocating this kind of system, but i'm curious to know whether or not is has been discussed.

Yeah. I've hear about Karma so many times here. And I don't like that system. It's like you see someone passing by and you directly know who that is. Tracking down someone should be pure investigating. There will be a bounty system at the very release if we reach the 725k stretch goal on the crowdfunding. The investigator squads would be particularly useless by the way.

There may be some ways to temporarily trap players, but the developers will very likely make sure there is always a way out. And if somehow someone gets well and truly trapped or imprisoned, you can bet that a GM is going to come running to set them free.

I think a prison system with a bounty you can pay (or ask someone to pay it for you), or with an escape possibility (by aid from the exterior), could be reasonable.

GMs will have a role here about abuse, but if the system is good enough, there's not that much need for it. Also there won't be GMs (strictly speaking) before the release, as NQ said to me GMs will be engaged in a long time, like "not right now".

I think a prison system with a bounty you can pay (or ask someone to pay it for you), or with an escape possibility (by aid from the exterior), could be reasonable.

GMs will have a role here about abuse, but if the system is good enough, there's not that much need for it. Also there won't be GMs (strictly speaking) before the release, as NQ said to me GMs will be engaged in a long time, like "not right now".

Those suggestions could be possibilities. A bounty system is definitely something they want to add into the game at some point. Escape would make it interesting, but it would have to be possible without outside help and within a reasonable time frame, or again, people will just log off. 

And my point was that it is basically impossible to create a perfect system which cannot be abused. And since people can't play before release, and therefore can't trap one another, it doesn't really matter that there will be no GMs then. Even in alpha and beta I doubt the devs will ever be far away. 

Adds nothing to the game play and would be open to abuse.

I beg to differ.

Not only would it be useful for roleplaying purposes, but it'd allow players who really don't want to die a means to survive a violent encounter. Get imprisoned for a few minutes, pay the ransom, get let out and you keep all the stuff you had in your inventory. Granted, it won't be a simple as that, but meh. 

I beg to differ.

Not only would it be useful for roleplaying purposes, but it'd allow players who really don't want to die a means to survive a violent encounter. Get imprisoned for a few minutes, pay the ransom, get let out and you keep all the stuff you had in your inventory. Granted, it won't be a simple as that, but meh. 

Difference of opinion accepted.

I can see your point about it being good for roleplaying purposes, and I see nothing wrong with that in that sense. if you want to have a "prison" in your city and punish people by making them wait in there, that's fine. That's a choice: Stay in this box or we will kill you, or kick you out or something else. That's social and emergent and I support it. The problem which I see, and what I have been arguing against, is mechanically imprisoning someone. Where no matter what they do they can't get out, they are well and truly stuck. I can't see a way in which that can be made immune to abuse. You mention imprisoning people for a few minutes, but what if someone keeps someone locked up for hours? Or days? What if they decide to just throw away the key? You may be thinking of this mostly in terms of the "police" or "military" or other "good guys" locking up the "bad guys", but that is not all it would be used for. What if somebody finds someone else and just decides that they are going to ruin their game for no reason other than they can? That's no fun. They would probably just quit DU and never come back.

The point I am getting it is that there is the roleplaying usage and the malicious usage, and both have to be taken into account.

From a role play perhaps but this isn't Minecraft where an admin feels he needs exert a his privileged authority over someone.

Also, why force such roleplay on people that have no interest in roleplay. 

If someone is doing something wrong in your territory then kill them and let them get on with their game. 

Of course what ever you do in your own territory is up to you. If you want to play roleplay and tell your citizens to go to jail and not pass go then power to you but there should never be a forced mechanic in the game. 

As explained in the video by JC, there will be no prison :

- suicide will allow it to escape.
- People pay to play not to be locked up

so you just give them the choice to die and loose or stay face punishment and keep items. too bad. i was hoping to run a penitentiary. 

I think there is a very good Org opportunity here. Have a place where people can drop off someone they capture at gun point and the "Prison Org" could hold them at gun point for a predetermined amount of time. The Org would have to pay for Guards to watch the prisoner, which in turn would be paid by the group/person dropping the prisoner off. Of course, the prisoner could just log off, but if the time was only 15 minutes or something like this, it would be better to just serve the time and go on your way. 

Of course, at any time during the whole process, the prisoner could try to escape with the threat of being vaporized would be there. This also leads to opportunities of breaking someone out of prison, which would also be a fun mission on it's own. Which could lead to some pretty interesting contracts.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think it should be something implemented by the devs for an actual prison system but I believe it to be interesting for organizations to implement on their own. Instead of killing and taking all the items on a character who has broken organization laws, they could sentence them into imprisonment (where they can break out if they want) and this way they can also stay in the organization. It could be made by the organization that imprisonment or kicked from organization for breaking the law. So if the player wants to stay in the organization they can choose imprisonment and stay in their jail cell for the short period of time. I definitely would not encourage putting a person in jail for a long period of time or they will either break out, quit the game, or just choose to leave the organization. But as you can see their are many possibilities that are open in this. All in all, however, it should not be a legit function created by the devs because that would ruin the game for people as it would be abused by players.