Any French language speakers willing to translate JC's talk?

yamamushi

You could always turn on captions and then translate the text... Super rough though. Or play it on a computer and then have the sound go to smart device, there's gotta be a way to translate it straight from the sound of the video, like with Google translate.

English is my only language, so I cant help you another way, sorry.

Someone said me "If they cannot speak english, they will adapt and learn." when I asked for a french version of the forum for the french community..

Should I return this stupid answer?!

Of course no. I'm not an asshole!

But sorry, i'm not bilingual and translating a speech of almost an hour and a half might require to me too much effort and time.

I hope someone will be good enought for that, because this is very interesting !

And, sincerly thank u for sharing this video.

It would be kind of nice if NQ could find someone who speaks both English and French fluently to help them make videos. Even when they are speaking English it can be hard to understand them.

Especially once they get into making video tutorials, it would make things a little easier for those of us in primarily English-speaking countries (U.S., Great Britain, Australia...).

I am not trying to bash the NQ team by any means! I just really want the game to do well and have communication run smoothly.

Part 1

very interesting video, but nothing too fancy about DU. Short topic summary:

- whats a MMO?

- civilization building game, emergent gameplay, build a society  - first of its kind

- problem of mmos - continuity - and different aspects (craftig, history, player interaction, building, cities,..) - DU wants to be more than that, giving players the oppertunity to do whatever they want

- DU consists of defenders, traders and pirates and let them interact - we will see what happens

- Nation, orgs, corps - all possible and wanted

- other games: you have predefined techs, provided by the game. in DU you can invent new things (he meant only blueprints here - so ship designs)

- limits on War (safezone), france is too afraid to attack anyone (hahaha on that one)

- reconciliation has to be emergent if its feasible (doesn't take too long, is fun, ...)

- one standard currency (too complicated trade otherwise) - necessary for emerget gameplay

- further down the road we will have different nations, governments,...

- DU will be a thinktank for new ideas because of emergent gameplay

Demo gameplay

- pre alpha, not finished yet, blah blah blah

- Alioth is the planet, there is a backstory, we can edit everything (minecraft anyone?)

- can modify environment - complicated to do (program wise)

- there will not be 7 billion inhabitants, so planets have to be scaled down

- only he has godmode, noone else. only for showing the demo

- sun is going around planets for now, not yet possible to let planet go round / "real" sunsets, you can watch live

- builds a ship, simple physics in building it but fly mechanics are in place (not as much as in kerbal space program); automated lua scripts or you program yourself

- RCS / gyroscope will be there too

- much more simple than what you do (at nasa)

- 1-5% (estimated by NQ) of players will really get into building grand ships

- not everyone will get really deep into the game, which is fine because of markets

- space station hard to build, lots of resources needed, defense needed, good connections - death star reference

- LOD; difficult with fully editable environment

- shows scale of ship to station and command center; screens for information display

- lags in game now because not optimized, only pre alpha

- corvette for 50 - 100 people, fully editable

- planet biomes: forests, can mine there, build a house (or in the mountains)

- everything is persistent with todays techs

Organizations

- guilds, with a goal; shows community page. 30k views on page, over 900 orgs, TU over 270 members, all kinds of orgs: designers, podcasters, military fabricants,...

- they provide sandbox - we do whatever we want; unbelievably scope of game;

- everything matters - when a station is destroyed you built for months, it matters.

- no death, because players are clients. no good economic strategy to let them die

- territory units: hexagons with pentagons. control that tiles, construct things there; geostrategic/mineral rich tiles will be fought over

Further sheets of presentation

- RDMS, control who can do what

- ships are physically there and stay while offline. markets need to be physically there with containers. no fixed price, you set it - capitalism. markets even on stations.

- they don't want a mad max environment (so the safe zone), because then no markets can evolve. Building defenses like walls needs time, will not be there from the start so you need a safe zone

- RN: crucial to know where those are when someone attacks - will be sent to next one.

- exploration: finding new planets, resources,..

- contracts: jobs for people: i need x

- backstory: it exists but not interesting for audience.

Part 2

Techdemo

- no one did this before. dynamic system

- when distant - not so often updated

- some thousand "people" on that demo

- he skips voxels, seperate video available in english if you want

- KS campaign did well, third highest result - good sign that DU is wanted and well perceived by people

Question time

- how monetized? P2P (10 - 13 € per month) with DAC (talks about it, but all is known to the forum). no sense in doing as some AAA title with 20h on gametime which sells for 60€

- blackmail problem, liberal economy? like eve - free economy but when something always goes against one particular person they intervene. Players drive the economy and safty is ensured by safe zones, territory,  shields with 48h timers. It needs war and conflicts - otherwise it's not interesting. But they want both: big cities and conflict. Everything has to be balanced.What players want will be done

- Consequences of AIs taking over parts of life or make humans no longer needed (automated cars, medical robots, AIs,...) ? Perhaps organize another conference for that. Otherwise it will take too long. RL and VL are both positive or negative for humanity. It's not only about entertainment. In RL you have different parts or groups of your job like works council, bosses and so on - in VL like DU you could have that too. SL is no game to him. It's more.

- Value of the game and his motivation. When everything is possible and you create your universe, what is good and what bad?

JC didn't quite understand that question ;) NQs position: they don't intervene when players squabble, if it's within the laws (no racism for example).

Fairness priciple: what comes around, comes around. No weapon on death star - funny and cool to build but not fair for players on the planet.

If there is a dictator in DU who is aggressive and has pirates around him, he has to be dealt with by players, NQ won't say that he can't be that pirate. Iron sky for example is funny and hilarious but not meant in a neo-nazi way, but ofc you can't know what the director meant. Same in DU: It's always a hard decicion: if, in a player driven sandbox, a dictator who bullies others for his gain is he good or evil?

- Not forcably there has to be capitalsm in the game or even civilazations. But there is capitalism all over DU like markets, supply/demand, contracts, ... so it implies it. Will it be fun for players to be broke all the time?

note from myself: I'm at work atm, didn't understand everything there cause he talks really fast. And sloppy sometimes :P

Missed some parts, but should cover the most interesting parts about DU

Didn't listen to the girl, maybe in the evening

My take is the voxel/LUA/DPU aspect is huge in the game, turning the creation process almost entirely in the players' hands. That's huge.

Another is crewed ships in an MMO. I mean, look at EVE. Those 1,000 ship battles are only possible because a single player flies even the largest ships in the game. Requiring 50-100 players for a corvette brings that down by a factor of 50 at least. How many will be required for a cruiser or battleship?? Will there be a minimum crew setting much like a bridge crew? I'm thinking with LUA scripting and DPU architecture essential crew can be defined by the players as designers, but the numbers may come from the maintenance rather than actual manning. Still, manning a battleship with 10 people to operate effectively is 10 more than 1(analogy being EVE).

Survival in battle may be dependent on how well the crew responds to damage control should weapons not naturally overwhelm defenses. How destructive weaponry is on structures will be important in figuring some of this out. Will space battles be long drawn out affairs to allow for responses to damage and more opportunity to save very expensive property, or will battles conclude in a few minutes' time?

All this will impact the market as well...

Lastly, when a player goes offline the ship remains on the grid. Now if you can put a 48hr shield on it, then you're good as long as you or someone you know can get back online and reset it. Still, persistent structures will be ripe for destruction to anyone who tarries offline for longer than a couple days.

Mind you these are observations and born out of fascination of where this game may be going. Looking forward to it!

My take is the voxel/LUA/DPU aspect is huge in the game, turning the creation process almost entirely in the players' hands. That's huge.

Another is crewed ships in an MMO. I mean, look at EVE. Those 1,000 ship battles are only possible because a single player flies even the largest ships in the game. Requiring 50-100 players for a corvette brings that down by a factor of 50 at least. How many will be required for a cruiser or battleship?? Will there be a minimum crew setting much like a bridge crew? I'm thinking with LUA scripting and DPU architecture essential crew can be defined by the players as designers, but the numbers may come from the maintenance rather than actual manning. Still, manning a battleship with 10 people to operate effectively is 10 more than 1(analogy being EVE).

Survival in battle may be dependent on how well the crew responds to damage control should weapons not naturally overwhelm defenses. How destructive weaponry is on structures will be important in figuring some of this out. Will space battles be long drawn out affairs to allow for responses to damage and more opportunity to save very expensive property, or will battles conclude in a few minutes' time?

Lastly, when a player goes offline the ship remains on the grid. Now if you can put a 48hr shield on it, then you're good as long as you or someone you know can get back online and reset it. Still, persistent structures will be ripe for destruction to anyone who tarries offline for longer than a couple days.

Mind you these are observations and born out of fascination of where this game may be going. Looking forward to it!

I sure as heck hope the 48 hours shield timer is not meant for low powergrid ships, because people won't even bother docking up in ststations. Now, a battleship SHOULD have such a defense on it but it als oshould have a fuel cost.

Now, 48 hours for a safezone (not a protection bubble, AKA, a player-made safezone) would make sense, as a safezone could be the Citadel of a star system, the last fortress so to speak.

I sure as heck hope the 48 hours shield timer is not meant for low powergrid ships, because people won't even bother docking up in ststations. Now, a battleship SHOULD have such a defense on it but it als oshould have a fuel cost.

Now, 48 hours for a safezone (not a protection bubble, AKA, a player-made safezone) would make sense, as a safezone could be the Citadel of a star system, the last fortress so to speak.

Pretty sure the 48 hour shield referenced is the player made "safe zone" for structures.  I don't think any combat ships should have it.  Space stations should though... so your combat ships can dock there while people log off.  But then if we can have spawn points in our ships... that might not be needed as people could log in and take over for those logging off without it mattering where the ship is.