environmental consequences

waynethecool

I could see weather effects being added, but that would definitely be later on down the road. I like the idea of having some planets (not all, just maybe one or two per system) that are really savage and hard to live on, but have much better resources.

I want to say that this concept was already mentioned in another thread, and the concensus was that adding real weather effects would be a tremendous strain on servers.

Don't quote me on that though. :)

I think I remember the thread. If I recall, people were of the opinion that it depended on the type of weather. For example something like acid rain (that kills people in it without protection but doesn't really change the terrain) or lightning strikes would be fairly easy to implement as opposed to something like tornadoes or tsunamis. 

Ooops I quoted you  ;) Sorry

I think I remember the thread. If I recall, people were of the opinion that it depended on the type of weather. For example something like acid rain (that kills people in it without protection but doesn't really change the terrain) or lightning strikes would be fairly easy to implement as opposed to something like tornadoes or tsunamis. 

Ooops I quoted you  ;) Sorry

I think it was localised weather effects that was a strain on the servers, not simple weather effects (since they mostly just rendered/resolved client side)

I could see weather effects being added, but that would definitely be later on down the road. I like the idea of having some planets (not all, just maybe one or two per system) that are really savage and hard to live on, but have much better resources.

Without having seen the other thread, I like the idea of this. Being able to affect the weather or having "realistic" weather, is a bit far fetched in my opinion, but having different weather settings for different planets and the risk/reward thing should be perfectly doable without to much strain on the servers.

I am glad someone remembers more about that thread than I do!

It is good to know that it is still a possibility, and I would love to see it happen. It could even add to more than just immersion for immersion's sake. Stealthy pirates / operatives could use poor weather conditions as cover to reach an objective, or a way to hit enemies while their in-atmosphere craft are grounded.

Storms and such like rain may, as has been said, be taxing if done on a large scale across the galaxy. However I think worlds like the real-world Titan, Saturn's moon, would be fantastically awesome to have in game. You could compromise with regards to having localized storms visible from space; a world could be completely shrouded in a fog all the time. The fog wouldn't move or dispate, but it would make scanning and seeing much more difficult; the atmosphere would simply be transluscent (slightly see through). If it's essentially just an effect like that, that doesn't move or change or really interact with anything, then I feel as though it would be less of a challenge than conventional weather. Though, I'm not a game programmer, so tell me if I'm wrong.

As for the original post, I think environmental consequences resulting in pollution may be quite complicated and unnecessary as a feature in the game. But, let's start with just normal, natural weather, and go from there.