Novawrimo Contest 2016: Rules to participate

NQ-Nyzaltar

I wrote two stories (Rebirth & Yellow Submarine) but only one of them is listed here (Yellow Submarine)

If only 1 entry is allowed then I want it to be Yellow Submarine, however, the rules did not specify only 1 entry per person.

Thanks

"

Indeed. However, if the Community Award is decided before the announcements take place, won't that cause some confusion? 

NQ-Nyzaltar did say in a previous post that the Community Award stands separate from the 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize that will be decided by the Novaquark team. 

In other words, you can't win a prize and the Community Award.

What happens if a contest submission is voted for the Community Award, just for the same submission to be announced the winner for the 1st, 2nd  or 3rd prize? 

Should that happen, would that mean the Novaquark team would eliminate the Community Award Fan Fiction from their list of candidates for the prizes?

"

"

Indeed. However, if the Community Award is decided before the announcements take place, won't that cause some confusion?

NQ-Nyzaltar did say in a previous post that the Community Award stands separate from the 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize that will be decided by the Novaquark team.

In other words, you can't win a prize and the Community Award.

What happens if a contest submission is voted for the Community Award, just for the same submission to be announced the winner for the 1st, 2nd or 3rd prize?

Should that happen, would that mean the Novaquark team would eliminate the Community Award Fan Fiction from their list of candidates for the prizes?

"

I think it's more like:

Community votes the award and that vote is for itself. So it doesn't necessarily mean that this story also wins the first prize, but it can happen. Only my interpretation though

"

NQ-Nyzaltar did say in a previous post that the Community Award stands separate from the 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize that will be decided by the Novaquark team. 

In other words, you can't win a prize and the Community Award.

What happens if a contest submission is voted for the Community Award, just for the same submission to be announced the winner for the 1st, 2nd  or 3rd prize? 

"

I think what they were trying to say was that the 'Famous Writer' title would stand separate for the community award; not that the person couldn't win both a prize and the community award.

@Anonymous:
While you won't be eligible for the Novaquark and the community prizes, you will still be considered as a participant if you post your fan fiction before next Monday. See below the rule clarifications for more details.

@Temerian:
The first fanfiction you wrote has been added to the list. See below the rule clarifications for submitting several fan fictions for the contest.

@Aetherios, Lethys and Devious_T:
A participant may win a Novaquark prize and the community prize. See below the rule clarifications for more details.

Rule clarifications:
- If a participant wants to provide several fan fictions for the contest, he totally can. However, he will be able to win only one Novaquark prize.
- As Novaquark prizes and the community prize are totally independent, it may happens that an author wins a Novaquark prize as well as the community prize because the jury is completely different.
- If a fan fiction made for the Novawrimo contest doesn't meet all the necessary criteria to be eligible (not reaching the minimum word limit, missing the deadline by a few days, etc), the author won't considered as eligible for the Novaquark and the community Prizes. However it may still be considered as a participant to the contest. It will be up to the Novaquark team to decide on a case by case basis. 
- In the case of having missed the deadline for the current Novawrimo contest (November-December 2016), if those in this situation post their fan fiction before next Monday, they will still be considered as participants (but won't be eligible for the Novaquark and the community prizes)
- All the participants to the current Novawrimo Contest will have a small reward (independently from having won a prize or not), to thank them for their participation and their hard work. The reward will be announced next Monday, at the same time as the final list eligible for the Novaquark and the community prizes.

Best regards,
Nyzaltar.

@Temerian:
The first fanfiction you wrote has been added to the list. See below the rule clarifications for submitting several fan fictions for the contest.

Nyzaltar,

I'm going to assume you mean the official list (since I still don't see it in the list above from your original post), Thank you for that.

The clarification for multiple entries is much appreciated and of course, not being able to win twice (aside from Community) is understood.

Also, a minor thing (but my OCD is kicking in) Yellow is spelled wrong in the list above.

Thanks!

- All the participants to the current Novawrimo Contest will have a small reward (independently from having won a prize or not), to thank them for their participation and their hard work.

Ooooh, that's very nice! I'm even happier now that I managed to write all those words (it was loooong). Will we have a little "participation prize" every time? That might be a cool incentive to participate.

Another question: is there a chance for non-winning entries to still somehow be included in the game's lore, at least for little elements of the stories? That would be, in my opinion, an even greater reward than any prize. I was mainly trying to aim at that, actually!

Hi everyone!

So it seems we will have no last minute participants in the end (sadly Anonymous didn't make it in time but kudos to him nonetheless, to have finished his lengthy fan fiction!).  "The Last Arkship" will be considered as a participation but won't be eligible for any prize, as the text didn't reach the required 5000 words.

@Temerian:
First text added (it wasn't displayed in the first time, it was already taken into account) and typo fixed for the title of the second text.

So here is the final list of eligible fan fictions for a prize (a total of 14, made by 13 authors):

Participation Prize: all participants will get a DAC for their participation (independently of having won a prize or not).

Will we have a little "participation prize" every time? That might be a cool incentive to participate.

Not necessarily. It will be decided on a case by case basis by the Novaquark team, depending also strongly about the amount of work a participant will have to provide to a contest. We don't want it to become an incentive to participate with no real motivation and minimal effort, just in order to get the participation reward.

Is there a chance for non-winning entries to still somehow be included in the game's lore, at least for little elements of the stories? That would be, in my opinion, an even greater reward than any prize.

Yes, it may be possible. Including a fan fiction in the official lore is something completely independant from the Novawrimo Contest. For more information, read this topic.

Best regards,
Nyzaltar.

Not necessarily. It will be decided on a case by case basis by the Novaquark team, depending also strongly about the amount of work a participant will have to provide to a contest. We don't want it to become an incentive to participate with no real motivation and minimal effort, just in order to get the participation reward.

Yes, it may be possible. Including a fan fiction in the official lore is something completely independant from the Novawrimo Contest. For more information, read this topic.

Oh, I had somehow missed this topic. Thanks!

And it makes sense for the participation prize, thanks for your answer. I had assumed that all contests would require the same amount of work, but if there are "smaller" contests there is no sufficient hard work to reward, indeed!

Thanks for answering my questions :)

@Anonymous:
While you won't be eligible for the Novaquark and the community prizes, you will still be considered as a participant if you post your fan fiction before next Monday. See below the rule clarifications for more details.

I missed your reply! Thank you anyway. No harm, no foul, and I can live without a DAC :) - Next time - plenty of DU stories still inside my head :)

• 4 weeks later...

Kurock walks up onto the stage in his slightly scruffy yet passable suit and bow tie. He looks a bit nervous as he shuffles to stands behind the podium. He taps the mic.

"Is this thing on? Hello?"

A squeak erupts from the mic followed by a few laughs from the audience.

"I'm glad you could make it. I thought in honor of winning this writing award I would write a small thank you."

"First, I would like to thank the contestants and readers. To those that took the time to write their marvelous works: I hope you had as much fun as I did in its creation. And to those that read the creations: I hope you had as much fun as I did reading them. Without you, readers, I would not be here today. So double thanks for that."

"Second, I would like to thank Lethys for making me sweat as the vote counts remained neck in neck for most of the duration of the competition. And for being a great sport throughout."

"Lastly, and definitely not least, I would like to thank Novaquark for making all this possible. A special thanks to Yama for helping organize the contest. Thank you, Nyzaltar and Nomad for putting up with the sometimes quite loony ravings on the forums. And thank you JC for putting up with us in general."

"In closing, I hope to see everyone on the forums, on the discord servers and most of all in the game."

Kurock makes a short bow and leaves the stage

Hi everyone!

Even if it has already been said on the Social Media:

@Kurock: Congratulations for winning the Community vote!
@Lethys: Kudo for displaying such sporting spirit!

We will announce the winners of the Novawrimo Contest for the Novaquark prizes on Tuesday, 31st January!

(only 1 week remaining! :))

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

Hi everyone!

It's now time to announce the winners of the Novawrimo Contest!

First we have to say: this was really a very tough choice.

We discussed again and again before agreeing on the winners.

So here is the list:

• 1st Prize: Aetherios, for his short story "That Bright Dawn".
  • 2nd Prize: Temerian, for his short story "Rebirth".

• 3rd Prize: Devious_T, for his short story "Left Behind".

Just behind were the short stories "The Sleeper" (from Peregrin) and "Memories of a Pirate" (from Lethys), respectively at 4th and 5th places.

We are aware this writing contest was far from being easy, with a lot of narrative constraints.

Moreover, the participation to this contest represented a signicant time investment, showing clearly the motivation you all have for the game.

So in addition to the DAC given to all the participants, those who weren't yet a part of the Alpha Team will be announced officially as Alpha members during the third wave (which is coming soon! :))

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

Wow, an honour to be a winner! Thank you, really; this is the first time my writing has done anything for me  :P .

Congratulations to the well-deserving Aetherios and Temerian, and to all who submitted a piece; I enjoyed reading every one.

Also I think I can speak for everyone in saying that this was a fantastic contest, and that it shows the whole dev-team's commitment to us and this game. So thank you Novaquark, you show the rest of them how its done.

To many more wonderful stories in the future!

DT

Thank you! What an unexpected surprise! I am truly honored to be chosen 2nd out of all of the other excellent entries! Congrats to the other winners, Aetherios & Devious_T and to everyone else who submitted a story, you all really did great work and should be very proud.

Truthfully, I didn't think I had a chance.

Thanks again!

"

I simply stared at my screen for half a minute, before I remembered to breathe! Thanks a lot to Kurock, or I wouldn't have found out about the great news till tomorrow! 

It's been a wonderful, thrilling experience, and much like Devious_T, this is the first time my writing has won anything at all, but it would be utterly selfish for me to claim all the credit!

So, many thanks to Novaquark for providing something to write about - more importantly something interesting and bold to write about. The guidelines may have been a constraint, but, they helped to narrow down my thoughts to a very large extent! Thanks for providing something to put a lot of effort into! 

Secondly, thanks to my faithful friends in The Aether who shared enough about themselves, directly and indirectly to provide a solid character plot! The encouragement did much more than you would ever know, my friends, and thanks a lot for all the meaningful discussions we held! Thanks to Arkanos and Anon, who remained in wonderful spirits and joyous air throughout and even after the contest. I'll be rooting for you guys the next time!

Thirdly, an exclusive thank you to Almanac for his tutorship and help with my submission. He added a lot of depth, picked out more typos and corrected even more things that would certainly have made the masterpiece a mere artwork. Thanks, Almanac - I owe you!

A huge thank you to WilksChekov, Lethys, yamamushi, Twerk and Kurock for their groundbreaking help and sportsmanship. It's wonderful to compete when you have friendly rivals like Lethys and Kurock: they are the most gentlemanly rivals I could ever find outside of The Aether and I look forward to many more of your works, both in literature and in the game. 

Lastly, it would be depravity not to thank the entire Dual Universe Community. Some of you have read my works, but I have interacted with a lot more of you. It's rock solid safe to say that this Community has provided me with more friends and acquaintances than I ever would have imagined. Some of your character traits found their place within That Bright Dawn and I sincerely look forward to much more interaction in the future. 

It feels great to win something, but even greater to acknowledge all the help I received in winning it. So, thank you to Novaquark, everyone in The Aether, the folks back at Discord and everyone on the Forums. I look forward to much more pleasurable memories. 

Cheers. 

"

Hi everyone!

It's now time to announce the winners of the Novawrimo Contest!

First we have to say: this was really a very tough choice.

We discussed again and again before agreeing on the winners.

So here is the list:

• 1st Prize: Aetherios, for his short story "That Bright Dawn".
  • 2nd Prize: Temerian, for his short story "Rebirth".
  • 3rd Prize: Devious_T, for his short story "Left Behind".

Just behind were the short stories "The Sleeper" (from Peregrin) and "Memories of a Pirate" (from Lethys), respectively at 4th and 5th places.

We are aware this writing contest was far from being easy, with a lot of narrative constraints.

Moreover, the participation to this contest represented a signicant time investment, showing clearly the motivation you all have for the game.

So in addition to the DAC given to all the participants, those who weren't yet a part of the Alpha Team will be announced officially as Alpha members during the third wave (which is coming soon! :))

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

Does that mean (I am a silver founder) that if being part of the alpha team gives us access to the alpha? Also what is the third wave?