Official Dual Universe Lore Bible

NQ-Nyzaltar

On 12/21/2018 at 9:14 AM, geronimo553 said:

I would like to know the answer to this question as well. Right now we only have a small bit of universe lore to go off of. 

i feel like any "organisational lore" may be written now but it cannot be implemented bc at this stage we are all awakening from chryogenic sleep as the alpha team so there "shouldnt" be time for organizations to be formed outside of the alpha team.

however, once the rest of the passengers wake up then we will be outside of the alpha simulation and physically on Alioth so there will be live politics between groups that form After Arrival in the year 0(AA). So if we are to write our organisational lores it should realistically begin in year 0.... which we havent reached yet as we are technically still on approach to Alioth as either Alpha Team or still in cryogenic sleep.  

On 4/8/2020 at 11:22 AM, Jondejip said:

What happened between 2027 and 2200 why 3 billions what happened to the other half of population 

what i took away from it was that through the "no hope" movement, people of earth became either depressed or accepted their most likely fate and chose not to reproduce, or committed suicide through the mass euthanasia programs introduced by the UEF at the time to escape the despair of an agonizing death. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/25/2022 at 10:32 AM, EdmundBlack said:

Is There any official Lore Keeper in NQ?

Alas, little effort has been made by NQ since Nyzaltar's rendering of the Bible and Alain Damasio's novel as far as "lore keeping" is concerned; Streamer Shamsie, aka NQ-Ripley, has been tasked with "writing things", so we can only hope he'll be put in charge of updating the lore soon.

However, may I interest you into the works of the Dual Universe Historical Society and the Lexikon Library ? Both player initiatives are turned towards lore and game history...

Lore is a bit pointless when the world is so inconsistently grounded in the first place.

We can turn a (smallish) ship into data and reconstitute it into solid matter using power sources in our suits!!! Why the flying frack are we grubbing around in the dirt for poxy ores?

We can teleport people  between the markets on Alioth, but it's impossible to link containers/transfer units in two different Cores that are touching. Can't even make a mechanical arrangement.

Maximum speed of a ship in vacuum is dictated by its mass.

When Space Magic behaves so inconsistently, it really doesn't matter what trite nonsense is written about where the "Noveans" came from. Just take it for what it is.

NQ's gameplay decisions, notoriously brutal, were made on the go for gameplay's sake, the lore's consistency long forgotten in the face of the game's very survival against its own growing pains.

However, now that the game is "released", maybe we can start to mend things. If NQ is really willing to pump life into lore again, I believe Shamsie and some of the community's writers can do some good.

On 10/29/2022 at 11:19 PM, Peregrin said:

Alas, little effort has been made by NQ since Nyzaltar's rendering of the Bible and Alain Damasio's novel as far as "lore keeping" is concerned; Streamer Shamsie, aka NQ-Ripley, has been tasked with "writing things", so we can only hope he'll be put in charge of updating the lore soon.

However, may I interest you into the works of the Dual Universe Historical Society and the Lexikon Library ? Both player initiatives are turned towards lore and game history...

Yes, yes you may

On 10/30/2022 at 1:21 PM, Peregrin said:

NQ's gameplay decisions, notoriously brutal, were made on the go for gameplay's sake, the lore's consistency long forgotten in the face of the game's very survival against its own growing pains.

However, now that the game is "released", maybe we can start to mend things. If NQ is really willing to pump life into lore again, I believe Shamsie and some of the community's writers can do some good.

I am asking because I am just wondering if I should invest my time it writing and playing "lore" driven content, or not? a LOT of players I know are willing to create content revolving around any sort of Lore, as long as NQ would not throw all that in the bin later...

I believe that Lore and players creating lore in real time in game, might be one of the few things that can save this game (although admittedly we might need TW for that to work out properly, but we can still do with SW for now) 

5 minutes ago, EdmundBlack said:

I am asking because I am just wondering if I should invest my time it writing and playing "lore" driven content, or not? a LOT of players I know are willing to create content revolving around any sort of Lore, as long as NQ would not throw all that in the bin later...

I believe that Lore and players creating lore in real time in game, might be one of the few things that can save this game (although admittedly we might need TW for that to work out properly, but we can still do with SW for now) 

Personlly, I'd say a resounding "No." The basis of the world simply isn't there. "Every second thing" would require some tortuous gymnastics to explain why it fits the world. Unless your premise is "Aphelia is insane."

Aphelia being insane is actually a valid lore angle.

I understand mending lore will not be easy, NQ painted themselves in the corner on this one, but I feel we may just save something here...

DUHS has a discord server that saves news into archives; general discussion there may attract lore-minded noveans: https://discord.gg/ecErPae

Lexikon is a library ship, visitable ingame (VR Pod "Lexikon"); it offers texts and expos to read and see; still work in progress, currently rebuilding after the Beta Wipe

Nah, sorry. When copper is harder to isolate from its ore than aluminium, your game's physical reality is too borked to be credible.

When, even though you can precipitate matter from energy to create a real object out of a data item, with a personally portable equipment, why in Ifni's broad expanse would you ever have to dig up ore and refine it? With matter precipitation, you no longer live in an age of scarcity. Anyone can have pretty much anything they want. But oh no, that's not how DU's 'verse works.

The game's setting's systems are an incoherent and irreconcilable mess of pseudo-realities. Anything based on this will have holes in it so big you can drive the Arkship through them.

Even if Aphelia is an insane AI and is lying/deluded about things, these are only two examples of "in-game empirical truth" that make the world-as-built unstable and impossible to base anything serious on. However worthy and noble the effort put in. It's doomed to fall to the "But why not just...?"

I understand what you mean and I agree. I'm just willing to roll with it, just to see where this will lead us to. Maybe a bang, maybe a flop, maybe a refreshing morning breeze over frost covered fields...

Maybe they'll pull the ol' "This is still a simulation, multilayered and imposed on millions of sleepers because *insert reason here*"; I believe the game is called "Dual Universe" for a reason.

Let's suspend our disbelief on the same nail we hung our hopes for a brilliant game to dry on for now and brush some dust off the tomes.

Aliens ? Beta actually started to paint an interesting portrait about "aliens": the Wrecks, the Artifact Puzzle, the Gold Star lost fleet, the Alien Cores...

That was back in a time where we knew - or thought we knew - that things were "for real", the "real deal"... Wipe put a silver bullet into this poor beast's skull.

However, wipe could also be the chance for a great renewal of lore, a chance to forget tricky questions ("If Alpha was simulation and Beta was reality, how come Aphelia knew about the existence of the Artifacts and their meaning ?") and smooth up l'histoire du jeu.

True, the game's science is a narrative landmine and I suspect NQ's management has zero.dot.zero interest in this but with NQ-Ripley at the quill, lore may become a game pillar again.

I have a big group that would love to add more lore.  how can I get ahold of the NQ devs or story writers to look at and approve lore's that the community makes so that we don't mess up the lore that is, or will be implmented

6 hours ago, Shampizle said:

I have a big group that would love to add more lore.  how can I get ahold of the NQ devs or story writers to look at and approve lore's that the community makes so that we don't mess up the lore that is, or will be implmented

Just DU it. Aphelia's Lore is pretty much lies/nonsense/delusion anyway. What you make won't be any less valid.

On 11/8/2022 at 2:46 PM, Shampizle said:

I would suggest you first post your texts in this very forum and share with the community.

Then wait for NQ Ripley to actually set things in place, as no-one for now will officially approve anything.

On a sidenote, the Lexikon library is always on the lookout for texts about DU, be they fictions, tales or essays of any kind.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah i should still sent you mine, those are linked and adapted to DU lore, i even have added a link to how Aphelia may have become "living" and indeed possible insane. bad thing is that the edited version was lost and only the rough version i still have that was written almost overnight without spell check :D