Logging out

UniversalG

When logging out on a long multi crewed voyage, id hate too log back on and be in the middle of space. Or have to wait for everyone to be on at the same time to continue the journey, so i propose adding "beds" as a element that you will respawn on when you log back on. But they would not respawn you if you died.

For once, space engineers did something right here and has tackled this issue with their Cryopod system. Basically you get into it when you log off, and when you log back in you are still in the cryopod and can resume whatever you were doing. If someone were to drop connection though, im not so sure. I guess to solve that issue you just drop the cryopod kind of system and when you are within a ship you're position relative to the ship is saved and loaded on reconnect.

As far as i have understand the technical side of this that shouldn't be a problem, because on a ship your position is relativ to the ship grid and not the general coordinate system.

So the ship is moving on the general grid and your character is moving on the ship grid.

I think they will not be removing constructs from the game when you log off, that extends to any ships you might be on at the time, so it is up to you to make sure you are ready to log off. This can be trivialized in space with the use of a cloaking module to make your ship safe**, however for any stationary or otherwise un-cloakable constructs, it will come down to players making them safe while unattended. Whether be it strong automated defences, or hiding them from detection in the first place. I believe this hassle makes the territory claim system and it's protection a big selling point.

E: When it comes to your character, it only makes sense that it's logout position is left attached to the smallest frame of reference it was on during logout. And when constructs are destroyed, they would do one of two things: 1. Drop all logged out players with their location to the next parent reference frame that the construct was on - bigger ship, station, asteroid, moon, planet, star system, galaxy, etc. Or 2. Kill all logged off players on it, leaving it up to the standard death mechanics upon log-in.

What if that ship gets destroyed while you're offline and your character dies? I wouldn't mind that, but people will complain about it, you know that.

Well, what happens with a person if the ship he's on is destroyed? He's dead obviously. So login back to respawn is the obvious answer.

Well, what happens with a person if the ship he's on is destroyed? He's dead obviously. So login back to respawn is the obvious answer.

Is the game full loot? because in that case people will complain about dieying while offline. I'm ok with that, but many wouldn't.

This cryopod style logoff mechanism is quite interesting, but what if they also functioned as escape pods? So if they (the player) logs off and the ship is destroyed, the escape pod ejects and has the possibility to get away.

Something else I thought of that adds on to the escape pod idea is that when the player logs back in, he gets a menu or something that says who destroyed the ship (possibly even show a replay like CS:GO). A way for smaller ships to have an eject feature could be the cockpit detaching.

This might be a bit too OP though considering that an auto eject feature might keep you from ever dying and taking away a sense of mortalilty (and some people might take advantage and create escape pod capturing ships that actively capture people while they are offline).

Just my thoughts though.

Yes, this would be amazing. BUT, there should be a way to tell if someone is sleeping on a bed in your sihp, so a guy can't simply "go to sleep", the ship's owner to go offline and the "sleeper" to log back in and grand theft auto a ship. Not that GTA a ship would be possible on MY ship, but hey, not all of you got a degree in Computer Studies, so... yeah, add a way to boot a guy off a bed if a person wants to run a taxi or transport business for other players. Nobody likes hijackers. Just saying.

Good point, but what I was thinking is that there could be a privilege system to make sure nobody steals your motor while you are planetside (fairly sure the devs are already working on something like that).

Good point, but what I was thinking is that there could be a privilege system to make sure nobody steals your motor while you are planetside (fairly sure the devs are already working on something like that).

Yee, it's called a keypress command in LUA. You can make a ship's cockpit require a keystroke password.