Dark's Snippets -- Random DU related stories!

DarkTemplar

Welcome to my writing room! Here I'll be posting random snippets of DU related fan fiction. Some will be pre Novark, some will be in ideas in my head of possible future events. These will most likely be written late at night and I will miss some mistakes as I try to fix them in the morning. Some of these stories will be continued (and I will leave a google doc link at the end of the snippet as well as in this main post) and others will remain as snippets.

If you see a snippet and you'd like to continue from it, just pm me and I ask, I should be completly fine with it as long as I'm not continuing it and I get some credit.

Have fun reading!

List of Current Snippets

Battle of Emberstone -- Continued

The Fate of a Titan -- Not Continued

Calamity -- Not Continued

Battle of Emberstone

“Troopers!” A voice roared over the din. The men and women swarming throughout the drop bay halted, looking towards the source of the voice.”

“Two years ago we woke aboard the Novark on Alioth. Our home left far behind as we stepped out into the unknown. Afraid, confused and homesick we banded together. Forging a new civilization, a new way of surviving, and a new home.”

Alexander paused, surveying the gathered crew. He caught glimpses of pride flashing over the faces of his comrades.

“At first we believed we wouldn’t follow the ways of Earth, that peace, would come naturally. But alas that is not the case. As of today, we are at war. As many of you would've heard, 37 hours ago the city of Emberstone fell under siege. Although the JSDF replied in force, it was not enough. As of 0400 hours this morning, Emberstone has fallen.”

Silence fell over the drop bay, the hum of the warp drives could be heard as the men and women aboard the Invictus took in the news. Expressions of pride and joy were quickly replaced by concern, sadness and anger.

“Do not weep, the time for mourning is not here yet. For today is the day, today is the day we fight. Not for ourselves, but for our brothers and sisters, for those who have fallen! We fight for the Union, and the Syndicate!”

HOO-RAH!

“As of right now, the Terran Union is assembling the might of its military force to take back Emberstone. Silverlight Industries, Diverse Unified Alliance,the Aether, Objective Driveyards, Chuckling Casket, Chromion Industrial, and the Solar Empire are all sending everything they can spare.”

The Invictus lurched as it dropped out of the warp gate, arriving at the Alioth system. The engines roared into life and the cruiser slipped forward.

“Glasrevin has tasked us to drop into Emberstone, our lz is the square. From there we are to set up an FOB and split into squads, each squad taking a cardinal direction. You are to clear surrounding anti-air batteries to give the ground forces a safer corridor to land the rest of the army. So, I ask, what are we going to do?!”

PAVE THE WAY!”

Throughout  the fringes of the system, vast fleets of ships dropped into view. The Invictus plowed forward, heading towards Alioth. More ships flowed through the jump gates, all heading for redemption.

“We do not know what our chances of survival are, so we fight as if they were zero. Our brothers might lose us and the world might never know we existed, but the Enemy - the Enemy will know. The Enemy will remember. We will hurt it so badly that it will never forget us until the stars burn out. When they are dying, their last thought will be of us. That is our memorial - carved into the heart of our foes. We cannot lose, my friends. For we have already won”

Cheers rang out over the open area

as the TUSC roused into action. Final preparations were completed as troopers strapped in pieces of equipment. Alexander dropped down from the boxes he was perched on and adorned his own helmet. The HUD flaring to life and picking up the friendly tags. He did a once over of his pod, making sure the radio beacons and other equipment was securely strapped down. An amber light flicked on and troopers started clambering into their drop pods, strapping themselves in before the drop crew closed the hatch.

Above Alioth the fleets of the Cinderfall Syndicate were engaging the captured defence stations and the amassed fleet of the invading force. Flanked by three titan-class ships and the rest of the Terran Union fleet, the Invictus moved into orbit above Emberstone as the rest of the fleet engaged.

Alexander smiled as the buzz of the radio opened up and a voice carried across the TUSC’s channels. Doc better have a good speech, he mused.

“For a wounded man will shall say to his assailant, ‘If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven’. Such is the rule of honor, broken the paradigm, an example must be set. Invoke the siren's song and sign the death warrant. Better to die quick, fighting on your feet. Then to live forever begging on your knees! So rise up, and answer; Can we still be saved?”

Hell no!”

“Will we rise from the dead?”

“Hell no!”

“Is there still hope for us?

Hell no!”

“Were we ever even alive?”

HELL NO!”

“Free speech for the living, dead men tell no tales. Their laughing finger will never point again. Six feet under with no marker, Keep our names from your mouth forever. So I ask you; Do we bow for the weak?

Hell no!”

“Do we pity our contenders?”

“Hell no!”

“Are we more than a cog in the system?”

“Hell no!”

“Will our war machine be stopped?”

HELL NO!

“This is their one and only decimation. The only one they’ll ever receive. Can't deny or ignore it. We are Leviathan: The Beast.”

Alexander stayed quiet during the exchange, studying the city below on a digital panel. They’d be performing a high orbit drop, although this exposed the drop pods to longer durations of any anti-air, it allowed them to better position themselves as they plummeted through the atmosphere. If they’d gone for a low orbit drop there was also the potential of being intercepted while not in the safety of the fleet. The light in the bay flipped from amber to red.

DROP DROP DROP

Barked a voice over the radio. He quickly inputted code and slammed his hand into the button above his head. The pod shuddered as the clamps released and it was jettisoned out into space. 84 other pods quickly followed, decoy pods would fall ahead, soaking up as much anti air fire as they could, enabling the troops and supply pods to land.

A song started blasting over the intercom and on the speakers mounted outside of a few modified pods. Streaks of light flashed past the soldiers as captured Anti-Air batteries opened up on the pods, drowning out the song with thunderous cracks. Explosions filled the air as missiles and shells screamed upwards into the sky. Far above the Invictus roared back into life, returning to participate in the battle.

The city rushed closer and their destination came into view, the massive city square was littered with craters and bodies as the pods careened downwards. He bowed his head as a pod exploded into a ball of fire, the shockwave shunting his own pod spiraling. He wrestled to get the craft back on target, using up the precious fuel. Notifications slowly crawled up a digi pad as pods were struck down.

Charlie 3-2 Viridian 12 -- KIA

Bravo 2-1 Azure 4 -- KIA

Supply 0012 Destroyed

Delta 4-2 Goldenrod 6-- Off target

Delta 4-2 Goldenrod 10-- Off target

Brothers and sisters!

Delta 4-2 Goldenrod 9 -- KIA

Delta 4-2 Goldenrod 8 --Off target

Delta 4-2 Goldenrod 7 -- KIA

The digi pad flickered then died as another shell rolled over the pod. Fighters weaved through the falling pods, cutting down the plummeting troopers. Goldenrod we the last to drop, he thought, a grim expression on his face, feet first into hell...

“Remember this day my friends, remember this moment. Remember this as the day we FIGHT.”  

“HOO-RAH!”

Alexander was thrown into his harness as the landing thrusters kicked in. A shell exploded directly below him, sending smoke rushing over his pod. Another jolt and he slammed into the ground. The hatch blasted open, flying into an enemy soldier ready to fire. Alexander sprung out of his pod, firing at the distracted soldiers as they watched the pods rain down around then. The Battle of Emberstone had begun

--------85km from Emberstone-----

Two children burst out of their house and spun around in the backyard as their mother watched on, unaffected by the ravaged city. The twirling pair stopped as they looked up into blue sky.

“Mama! Look!”

Said the younger child, pointing a hand towards the sky. The mother stepped out from the doorway and looked upwards.

“Children, get back inside now.”

The mother looked on as the children chased each other into the farmhouse. Streaks of white flared over the city, like molten rain falling through the sky. In the background flashes of the space battle could be seen. She wore a grim expression as she saw the pods falling through the sky. While the invasion had been quick and deadly, the battle for Emberstone would be brutal. So it begins.

The continuation of the story can be found here. Please do not edit the file in anyway aside from commenting.

The Fate of a Titan

She woke to blaring red lights and a screaming siren, a rumble coursed its way through the ship, rocking her to her feet. She stumbled over to a panel on the far wall and fumbled for a button, unable to see amidst the darkness and flash of red.

“Bridge, what’s the pro--”

A voice abruptly cut her off as static blared throughout the ship’s speakers.

“Attention all crew, please report to combat stations.”

She spun around in her room, grabbing random pieces of clothing and throwing them on, slipping on a necklace holding a small metallic device, she stumbled out of her room. Barely making it past marines dressed in full combat gear. She managed to keep her footing as another explosion rocked the ship. ‘What the fuck is hitting us?’ Pushing through a group of engineers, she scurried past a window, only taking a glance before hurrying on. Outside, fighters swarmed over the backdrop of empty space, explosions filling the blackness with bursts of colour.

The titanic ship responded with a salvo of rounds as the woman scrambled through the ship. The rounds slammed themselves home into the arrayed assault force as point defence carved through space, ripping lighter craft apart. A hum resounded throughout the ship as arcs of light bored their way into a destroyer.

Around her support crew hurried from room to room, she’d heard from someone that the warp drive had been knocked out while another shouted that the port thrusters were destroyed. She ignored the orders and information, for the most part, and continued on her journey up through the ship. The explosions knocking her off balance slowly stopped, the guns on the giant beast dying down.

A new sound echoed throughout ship, a crunch of metal could be heard over the piercing alarms. New explosions rocked through the hull, metal exploded in the corridor ahead of her, ripping through those standing in the way. She held her breath, waiting for the inevitable depressurisation that was to come. Her eyes widened in horror as she realised what was sealing the holes.

“Alert all crew, prepare your boarding stations. All non-essential crew, please report to the aft and starboard escape pods.”

She scrambled backwards down the way she came, clutching the item around her neck. The warning came too late, they’re already onboard. Behind her something slammed into the metallic floor and armoured footsteps followed her down the corridor. Shots cracked through the sterile air, sending clangs and thuds down the hall. A searing pain lanced through her leg and she collapsed into a heap. A sob racked her body as she tried crawling into a nearby room but the footsteps and shots followed her.

“Unlucky, she must of been hit by a ricochet.

The voice carried out from above her, she tried to move further into the room but a coloured boot stood on her hand. She cried out in anguish pulled uselessly at her hand.

“Fucking. Union.” She spat, the boot on her hand lifted and was replaced by a firm grip on the back of her head.

“Enough.” The pressure on her head lifted and she could move her head to see another soldier approach.

“We were lucky to find the Ismarilda, and lucky enough to cripple this Titan. But I won't have you harm civilians, and that goes to the rest of you. No one kills civilians or Revin will have our heads.”

The commanding officer turned to look at her, his eyes flicking over the name tag on her breast.

“Doctor Kaitlyn Meinhardt... count yourself lucky compared to others aboard this vessal.”

Kaitlyn spat at him as he turned away, his squad following him out of sight. She swore and pulled herself into the room and hauled herself partway up a wall to reach the medical pack stationed in each room. She fell back heavily to the ground, the shot in her leg slowly leaking. Pulling a small cylindrical tube out of the pack, Kaitlyn placed it on her leg and lent against a wall. She pressed a button and a series of needles stabbed into her, administering medical nanites which coursed through her body. Slowly the bullet in her leg was forcibly pushed out as the muscles, tendons and everything else started to knit itself back together.

While her wound was fixing itself, Kaitlyn hauled over a chair and sat down heavily beside the room’s com-link.

The com-link crackled into life and a voice roared over the net.

“How do you have access to this code!?”

“This is Kaitlyn Meinhardt, Union soldiers are. God damn this hurts. Are heading towards the bridge, advise procedure F4W8S.”

“Yes, we understand, 10 minutes... You know, Kaitlyn, I always wondered how you outranked me.”

“I’m sorry Admiral...”

Kaitlyn slid her finger off the com-link. One last effort to fight back. One last stand against the Syndicate and the Union. Some saw them as good, some saw them as bad. Didn't matter any more, there was too much riding on the Ismarilda to make it through but it wouldn't happen.

Deep orange lights flashed overhead, signalling the start of the procedure. Kaitlyn hauled herself heavily onto her feet, and pulled herself in the direction of the escape pods. The device once again clutched in her hand.

Freedom awaits.

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings All! I'm sorry I haven't given you guys any new snippets recently, irl calls. But I have added a new bit to the Battle of Emberstone, with another larger part planned. Also I finished (for now) the previously unnamed snippet, so enjoy the read!

• 3 months later...

Calamity

The rain lashed down around him, beating into his shoulders. Lightening flashed, scattering grim shadows over the sidewalk. The roar of the midnight city was drowned by the storm. Beaten down and suppressed. He quickly slipped an earpiece on, water seeping down his forearm. Music started to flow through the device as he continued his trek. Cars blurred past him, sending sprays of water into the air.

Burnt out husks of buildings were homes once stood scattered the street. The riots had started 34 years ago, the images of the neutron star, their executioner, as some put it, were shown to the public. The announcement of the lottery system did more harm than good. People fought and killed each other over a chance to get aboard the ark ships.

Mass hysteria and riots swept through the surviving population. Anything broken or burnt was typically left the way it was. The euthanasia programs swiftly followed. People who gave up on their chances to survive decided to die rather than face the end of the world.Those that weren't euthanised decide to live life while they still could. With governmental powers around the world collapsing, and only the UMF able to hold a stable grasp on their cities. Warlords and marauders appeared, raping, pillaging and burning anything because, people no longer cared for wealth, or political power anymore. You either had the strength and will to fight, or you died.

He sighed, he was born on the day those photos had been released and the lottery system announced. Some called it fate, that he’d been selected by the lottery, some didn't give a damn. Like everyone else, he fought to stay alive,the majority of the Earth’s resources were being directed towards the rebirth programme. He looked down at his watch, 23:07 14/08/2534, it was predicted to be another four years before the star swept through the system and killed humanity.

He stared ahead, the prize looming ahead, it stretched 8 kilometers high, piercing the storm, a testament to mankind's resolve to endure and survive. The arkships were humanities solution to the problem, massive constructs capable of carrying millions of people through the stars. And there were only two ways you could get aboard, by being extremely useful, or by being even luckier.

Hey all! Suprise post out of no where. Apparently this is a piece of writing I started/did I don't know when, I think during the early days before the lore was s lot more fleshed out. And which is why some of the lore doesn't quite check out. Anyway, enjoy! Feedback is always welcome, and so are ideas for more stories.