Text-to-Speech Integration

Mazillus

Something I would like to see that I haven't heard or read about yet is some text to speech integration for use in giving out information and used in LUA scripting.

The voice could be changed to your liking with a male or female voice. You could even hook into windows built in TTS engine which you can download different voices for.

Would make for some interesting AI response scripts.

You could change all the dialog of response system to your liking this way. 

That's good... I'd also like the reverse.

If we don't just get straight ingame voice... with appropriate modulation... filters... voice replacement...

I'd love to be able to speak to text chat instead of having to stop controlling my character to enter text...  I don't have a team speak server with with everyone I might meet in the game in it.

NASA released a game on steam called Moonbase Alpha. It has text to speak and I and many others got the game only for that. True, it's free, but I have about 4.5 hours in the game and still have no idea how to even begin playing it. All I ever used it for is hilarious text to speech, whether to people in the same room as me, or for multiplayer trolling. John Madden and Satan are popular memes in that game. Just go read the reviews.

I feel text to speech in any game takes away seriousness and trades it for silliness. You'll get people just standing around doing nothing except having a computer say ridulous, silly, and inappropriate things. It's just internet nature. I personally don't feel like text to speech is in Dual Universe's best interests.

I can see the appeal, but like ATMLVE, I think it would lend itself to abuse by idiots too easily. I will admit that speech-to-text is a cool idea though, except that it would probably have limited success at actually interpreting what you say into words accurately.

I can see the appeal, but like ATMLVE, I think it would lend itself to abuse by idiots too easily. I will admit that speech-to-text is a cool idea though, except that it would probably have limited success at actually interpreting what you say into words accurately.

The world of voice interactive things is rapidly developing.  Things like Siri... Google voice... Alexa... they're all taking your speech and converting it to text to analyze it.  None are quite as good as one might like... but they are getting better rapidly.  My hope is that in about a year the devs could take such a system "off the self" and it would be passable.  Pretty sure every company other than Apple... sells their voice system and some even offer it for free because more people using it helps train the system to work better. 

It is a difficult thing that huge teams people are working on... so I don't expect the devs to actually make it themselves... but It's a feature I want and hope can be added to the game at some point.

I think tts ship integration would be cool. Like the computer in Star Trek. I don't believe players should have the ability to use tts individually, though. If it is included, it needs to be a module you install into your ship/station.

Yeah I agree that players shouldn't be able to use TTS individually.

You could however have it disabled by default if players were able to have written chat dictated to them.

You are right though my original idea was like the computer in Star Trek. 

Also see this video:

Everything in that video should be possible since LUA is going to be all done on the local machine. 

Even if this idea doesn't take off the above it is still possible though the Voiceattack program but it would be nice to have this idea completely integrated so that you could receive real ingame updates about systems. What I mean with real updates is that anyone experienced with voiceattack knows that the program doesn't communicate with the program it is sending commands to so it does not get feedback.

This would also make a great commodity on the market with players selling their own AI scripts.

NASA released a game on steam called Moonbase Alpha. It has text to speak and I and many others got the game only for that. True, it's free, but I have about 4.5 hours in the game and still have no idea how to even begin playing it. All I ever used it for is hilarious text to speech, whether to people in the same room as me, or for multiplayer trolling. John Madden and Satan are popular memes in that game. Just go read the reviews.

I feel text to speech in any game takes away seriousness and trades it for silliness. You'll get people just standing around doing nothing except having a computer say ridulous, silly, and inappropriate things. It's just internet nature. I personally don't feel like text to speech is in Dual Universe's best interests.

Sorry but you might have misunderstood my idea for TTS. 

Wow! I hadn't even thought of a voice-interactive personal AI computer system as a possibility, that would be cool!

Yeah I agree that players shouldn't be able to use TTS individually.

You could however have it disabled by default if players were able to have written chat dictated to them.

You are right though my original idea was like the computer in Star Trek.

Sooo...are you saying that you don't think it should be a standard chat function, but rather something that you would have to script in-game?
I'm not saying that is a bad idea, just want to be sure I am on the same page!

I totally agree on the voice-interactive computer idea, it would be amazing to see someone create an AI with access to some kind of super-database, so it would actually feel like an extremely intelligent program. I can already see someone making one that responds like Jarvis from Iron Man! If voice-recognition gets accurate enough to pull off something like that, I would be all over it!

Wow! I hadn't even thought of a voice-interactive personal AI computer system as a possibility, that would be cool!

Sooo...are you saying that you don't think it should be a standard chat function, but rather somthing that you would have to script in-game?

I'm not saying that is a bad idea, just want to be sure I am on the same page!

I totally agree on the voice-interactive computer idea, it would be amazing to see someone create an AI with access to some kind of super-database, so it would actually feel like an extremely intelligent program. I can already see someone making one that responds like Jarvis from Iron Man! If voice-recognition gets accurate enough to pull off something like that, I would be all over it!

You are right it would be something you script in-game. 

Voice recognition is already accurate enough and has been for some time. If you've watched the video you'll see just how accurate it can be.

I use VoiceAttack a lot in my games and I use a custom text to speech voice from Ivona to give feedback on a spoken command like "engine on" saying engine on sends a keypress to my game and then uses text to speech to give me a spoken feedback that the command was sent like "engines are activated sir". The limits with this software is that it doesn't get feedback from the game its sending the commands to. For example if I wanted to know the status of my ship (spoken command "status report" the program wouldn't be able to tell me if the engines are damaged. 

Not only the 13-year olds. :D

I come from a G-rated family, so anyone chatting with me will hear me request a little more polite consideration in language if they use the "wrong" words. (It is called vulgarity for a reason, after all.)

If you want to use  it, fine, no problem, as long as you are aware that it is at times offensive to people, and try to be considerate if somebody mentions it. ;)

I guess that's the beauty of an online game, you can just mute them if they insist on offending you. B)

But I digress, in essence, I am agreeing with your concept of banned words, at least a filter that would allow those words to be skipped in the sequence of translating them into speech / text. This could be turned on or off depending on the player's preference. That way those who are fine with / use language that might be offensive to others can still do so, and the rest can hear / read the conversation sans offense. Everybody wins. :)