Ore density

borzol

I have a suggestion how to make mining little more interesting. I dont know if its possible to implement or if its planed.Here is the idea. When you will be scaning for ore beside usual things it will show you average density of ore your scanner found. More dense ore  is faster your mining is. It would motivate to search actively during mining and not just grab what you can.

I have a suggestion how to make mining little more interesting. I dont know if its possible to implement or if its planed.Here is the idea. When you will be scaning for ore beside usual things it will show you average density of ore your scanner found. More dense ore  is faster your mining is. It would motivate to search actively during mining and not just grab what you can.

I think they did say the rarer ore will be denser per cubic meer (similar to EVE's quality per cubic meter). It will also take more time. I might be mistaken on this, but you could check the Scanning & Mining Devblog in these forums for more info.

And also, the only way in EVE to speed up mining is by icreasing yield per mining cycle or having more than one mining lasers / strip miners. The time to fully fill your banks with ore won't increase with how dense a mienral is, as density is not volume.

I like that idea. This could go along with some earlier discussion on these forums, regarding how ore refinement could be a skill (and the idea of ore density was probably discussed there too). So you could get that 50% ore like you're talking about, and maybe extract some of it and smelt it down, but (lets say it was iron) in the end you only get like 80% pure iron (it's a game, so that's okay). You can use that, or sell it, but it's not worth very much as either a commodity or building material. If you want to make your ores more pure, then you either have to find a denser vein (regarding densities like you're saying), or improve your ability to smelt.

Your suggestion could add a lot of interest to mining. You might find a planet with tons of a material, but it's so mixed in with other crap that it's not even worth it to you. But, it might be to someone else later on. 

by density i mean that in 1 cubic meter with 50% density will have 50% ore and 50% rock or soli or other crap

Ah, yeah, you mean mineral concentration then. That's what it's called :P . And yeah, that should be high-level scanning skill bonus in my opinion, so prospectors can sell a planet's location with precise readouts.

Ah, yeah, you mean mineral concentration then. That's what it's called :P . And yeah, that should be high-level scanning skill bonus in my opinion, so DaSchiz can find a planet's rich minerals with precise readouts.

Fixed your post ;)

Fixed your post ;)

No, my post was precise. Location of a planet and the location of a planet with analytical readouts of how many minerals of a kind exist in the crust is a totally different range of statements. One is a gamble and it goes for a low price, the other warrantees a high price. Just because you can scan, it doesn't mean you'll be a miner as well.

No, my post was precise. Location of a planet and the location of a planet with analytical readouts of how many minerals of a kind exist in the crust is a totally different range of statements. One is a gamble and it goes for a low price, the other warrantees a high price. Just because you can scan, it doesn't mean you'll be a miner as well.

Let a bad joke just be a bad joke mmmkay?  ;)

Going back to ore density stuff... How many new elements or materials might be added in game?

Well, I do hope for both periodic table stuff, but with the twist of meta-materials in the mix.

For example, mixing two elements provides X quality material, in the Y family of materials.

Like, Carbon and Iron making Steel which is an alloy, while Nickel and Rhenium creating a different, stronger, version of an alloy, that is more durable to heat that steel.

Likewise minerals could be used to create polymers for different use. You dont need kevlar for walkways for example, but you sure do need it for insolation. 

i dont expect that there will be more than 20 ores to mine

Well, it's irrelevant, the combination of said ores is that makes the difference and / or how much of them thre can be combined.

20 ores can mean 400 different alloys in a one to one combo. If it's three then it gets to 8000 alloys (like spring steel and ceramic steel). Then it can get even crazier if more are added, like creating carbide compounds.

And since materisls are actually the armor you shoot at in-game, it's only logical for them to have a smelting system like that, in which you put a certain type of materials in the same smelteing unit to procure certain alloys out of it. 

Well, it's irrelevant, the combination of said ores is that makes the difference and / or how much of them thre can be combined.

20 ores can mean 400 different alloys in a one to one combo. If it's three then it gets to 8000 alloys (like spring steel and ceramic steel). Then it can get even crazier if more are added, like creating carbide compounds.

And since materisls are actually the armor you shoot at in-game, it's only logical for them to have a smelting system like that, in which you put a certain type of materials in the same smelteing unit to procure certain alloys out of it. 

I think the mining system will probably be much more simplistic than that, especially at first. There will probably be 10-20 "basic" materials which ore is broken down into, and then those bits made into ever more complicated parts and materials. The more parts there are the harder it will be for the devs to balance everything, so they will probably keep it limited at first, at least in the testing phases.

i dont see how rubies could be incorporated into tech same with saphire or emerald :/

Alternate/premium currency to be used alongside DU bucks? Make your ship look pretty? Decorate your orgs HQ?

Perhaps crystals could be used in certain parts like gold that's used in cpu pins? I'm no expert on that sort of thing but hey, you said 'tech' and I sprung an idea!

Im not saying it isnt possible i was just currious cuz ive never heard of saphires being used on micro chips or anything lol you did bring some good ideas though like decorative things. maybe they could also be used to make "premium" dyes?