LUA and Programming Actuators/Doors/Turrets

Zralster

So what i'm hoping for is the possibility to control things like doors and turrets using scripts. It would be awesome to be able to set certain access rights to specific members for doors, for example. This would help create personal chambers for characters as well as allow only authorized personnel into specific research labs and such. They could be controlled from a placeable terminal inside the room/facility that allows the creator to modify the users that the door will open for. I would suggest the same for turrets, so that if someone unauthorized enters the area, even if it is someone from your own corp, the turret will fire at them. This would also make for more interesting ship boarding scenarios as boarders may have to blast their way through a few doors to get to the control room. Perhaps there are also other actuators that could be controlled through a similar method? Like, floodgates to allow water to flow, or even just lights. Thoughts?

That's the plan with lua. No flowing water in release though (cause of server issues). If you break a damm the water will just stay where it is.

Automate your city/ship/base with flags for different people - automation comes at a cost though. A turret won't be as good as player controled

RDMS will be able to set rights.  I certainly hope this extends to doors by tagging the rights to "use" the door. And a LUA script to close it again after a few seconds and when the doorway is empty.

Automated turrets are still undecided.  They will hopefully be in, but how exactly they will work is still anyone's guess.

I honestly don't think there will be fluid mechanics anytime soon if ever. But I can hope we will get some rudimentary fountains.

I do expect lights to be LUA scriptable, but again, we will have to see.

RDMS will be able to set rights.  I certainly hope this extends to doors by tagging the rights to "use" the door. And a LUA script to close it again after a few seconds and when the doorway is empty.

Automated turrets are still undecided.  They will hopefully be in, but how exactly they will work is still anyone's guess.

I honestly don't think there will be fluid mechanics anytime soon if ever. But I can hope we will get some rudimentary fountains.

I do expect lights to be LUA scriptable, but again, we will have to see.

Can always do a airlock Kurock to prevent access manually.

Just thought of another thing that might be interesting with scripting as well. The ability to install cameras and link them to those big data monitors they showcased in the videos. It would allow the creation of remote security monitoring. 

would be nice for the hovercraft races also :)

I think that they will allow automated turrets in the end as everyone wants it. It just needs to be well balanced so it's always better to control it manually. And that can be done by penalizing the turret performance when used by AI. Making turrets operate at 20-40% of performance compared to player-driven would be quite ok.

Some of you can oppose that players could create solo-crew ships with many automated turrets, the quantity would beat quality. Well, yes and no. You could mount many turrets, but those have weight and energy. You can only mount limited amount of those depending on your ship size and power capacity. And if you really want to do that and encounter ship of similar size, you are going to be fish food. Not even slight chance to beat similar-size ship, it's simple math: 20-40% vs 100% firepower.

In other words, simply penalizing automated turrets performance would be perfect balance between those who want to have full combat capability with full crew and those who still want to build and enjoy bigger ships but have incomplete crew.

• 3 weeks later...

Plus, at 20% - 40% operational efficiency, a much smaller ship could even take you out. Part of the decrease in effectiveness (most of it, actually,) would come from less accurate targeting. So a small ship with a full crew (even if that is just the pilot,) should be able to dodge most of the "autoship" shots, especially if they fly really close to it, like the X-wing pilots in Star Wars did in order to destroy the Death Star.

• 1 month later...

We must not forget that the game is not a reserved for programmers. 
Using scripts should not penalize other players who do not have such knowledge.

What is really fair, and what is really the penalty here? I suppose what isn't fair is the fact that we, as humans, are all different from one another, and that the penalty is that one will not find solutions to ones problems if one does not so much as attempt to be creative and solve ones problems in the first place. I mean, can they not befriend someone who can script? Or, can they not take part of the economy, and purchase the services of someone who can script? Is it not realistic that factions will have different people, with different set of skills, and that this could, and most likely would result in secrecy, spying, and feuds between factions; in short, politics, which Dual Universe has advertised for a long time?

What is really fair, and what is really the penalty here? I suppose what isn't fair is the fact that we, as humans, are all different from one another, and that the penalty is that one will not find solutions to ones problems if one does not so much as attempt to be creative and solve ones problems in the first place. I mean, can they not befriend someone who can script? Or, can they not take part of the economy, and purchase the services of someone who can script? Is it not realistic that factions will have different people, with different set of skills, and that this could, and most likely would result in secrecy, spying, and feuds between factions; in short, politics, which Dual Universe has advertised for a long time?

That is an excellent point.

• 4 weeks later...

Indeed the idea behind factions is to group together people of different skills or maybe even if your faction is concentrated on one or two skills then they can hire others who do have the skill-set needed for executing the task.

As far as automated elements goes, it is already said that they will be there and it has also been mentioned that they will not be as good as humans and I agree with Danger's idea of the following articles not running at full efficiency and maybe only 20-40%.

Just thought of another thing that might be interesting with scripting as well. The ability to install cameras and link them to those big data monitors they showcased in the videos. It would allow the creation of remote security monitoring. 

That would be awesome and would bring a whole new dimension to the game, anywhere from live reporting(in-game), Maintaining watch or any 'n' number of uses, while I do not think it will be available anytime near the release date but we can always hope that they will indeed introduce such features. :D

• 1 month later...

We must not forget that the game is not a reserved for programmers. 

Using scripts should not penalize other players who do not have such knowledge.

It seems like this game will be *dependant* on programmers. Without programmers, all ships and constructs will have only the most basic functionality.

I don't think it will take long for scripts and pre-programmed modules to show up after launch in the trading market. I think the game will thrive on this dependency.

Content will be created by the players.  So, naturally a good construct, be it a ship or automated defense, will be more desirable than a crappy one.  Think of it as a "Vorpal blade of snicker-snack" is more expensive than your rusty dagger.

If the market is setup properly, the value of player made constructs will be based upon player demand.

Rest assured, a LUA scripter will most likely make more money selling their constructs, than piracy.  But, you're right!  There may be the occasional scripter who keeps that stuff to themselves, and be able to mop the floor with you.  But my guess is the Market will come up with alternative constructs that will be able to counter that one off guy.

Whether you can afford that 'vorpal blade' is the real question.  You won't be able to afford it starting out.  You'll need to save up some quanta.  Just like any other MMO.  And in ANY MMO, one player with better gear will usually be victorious over a player with the same skills but is poorly equiped.   The equipment you own will be one of the major differentiators between a newbie, and someone who has played DU for years.

That's the plan with lua. No flowing water in release though (cause of server issues). If you break a damm the water will just stay where it is.

Automate your city/ship/base with flags for different people - automation comes at a cost though. A turret won't be as good as player controled

where did you get that info about water? The last time i heard them talking about water they said will be similar to minecraft, wih voxels, not completely fluid but not static either. Did they change their mind or you didn't know about that?

https://mobile.twitter.com/dualuniverse/status/750007457833947136

where did you get that info about water? The last time i heard them talking about water they said will be similar to minecraft, wih voxels, not completely fluid but not static either. Did they change their mind or you didn't know about that?https://mobile.twitter.com/dualuniverse/status/750007457833947136

Did this link just go to an external website which then links back to these forums? O_o

Direct link here:

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/841-ask-us-anything-event/#entry7728