Hydraulic mechanisms

Mawbotch

Perhaps I missed it being a new member but so far I haven't heard anything about the possibility of using fluids either for construct moving, (canals, aqueducts, water mills) for creating art/ambiance (fountains, waterfalls), or for cooling/warming environments (coolant systems for power generators or heating to create hospitable environments to grow). I would love to be able to build an aqueduct and create the beautiful arches like the Pont du Gard in France. Or create a flow of water from one settlement to another for quick automated transfers of materials/goods.

What do you think?

From my knowledge liquid water will exist in the game in the forms of oceans and lakes, as for the dynamics of it and how we can use it exactly, probably should plan for a future expansion.

These are some good ideas! We'll have to wait and see how fluid mechanics work in the game. For construction purposes, I feel like water could be a harvestable "item" as in it acts like any other item would inside of your inventory. Water does seem like something that would be around on release, since habitable planets usually have lots of water. I remember someone saying something about water mechanics in DU kind of being like those in minecraft, but I don't know how much truth that holds.

For water to behave like in real life it takes a heavy load of calculating and development. With the team's main goals in mind I don't think we will see any intricate system for water/fluids any time soon, or at all.

Keep in mind that the server performance will be heavily burdened calculating players and objects/constructs in this open world of theirs.

I hope the water ends up having more dynamic action than minecraft water. I feel that if it is the same there may/will be ways to exploit water to move goods around in less secure but essentially energy free. That said perhaps those issues will resolve themselves when we do hear how fluids will interact.

In either case I can't wait to see what people are able to do with fluids.

I hope the water ends up having more dynamic action than minecraft water. I feel that if it is the same there may/will be ways to exploit water to move goods around in less secure but essentially energy free. That said perhaps those issues will resolve themselves when we do hear how fluids will interact.

In either case I can't wait to see what people are able to do with fluids.

Water will likely behave less dynamically than minecraft water, at the very beginning. 

I know some are wishing for impressive fountains. I don't expect there to be any soon but I certainly hope they will come eventually.

They could create a fountain element and just have an effect on it, rather than actual water. But I think that'll come a bit later on, with a whole plethora of decorative elements