Community Laws

Gerald_Deemer

Do we need community created laws?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Should we create community laws - some kind of unwritten space laws that define good and evil in the world of DU? For example - destroying an unsecured construct is not legal.

• Yes, definetly! Write down the space laws so everyone can read them!
    • Maybe 10 "rules" that will define good and bad behaviour of the players.
    • I don´t care.
    • Hell no! I´m gonna play as a space outlaw!
    • No need - even an idiot can distinguish good and evil behaviour!
    • Could be useful for corporations as long as it stays community driven
    • This poll is so unnecessary!

I think corporations and such will have their own rules, and the members of those organizations will follow those rules. If some of those organizations ally together, they might share their laws and create areas where those laws are followed. But I think that'll be the extent of it.

You can try to get the organisations to come together and make Space UN laws, I suppose, but you will never be able to enforce it upon communities of pirates or neutral parties. How do you create civilised society in the entire game universe when there is a constantly expanding frontier?

The only rules that must be abided by will be the ToS set by NQ. Nothing else will have gamewide ramifications.

How do you define right and wrong when there is no law and no rules?

It´s interesting that only a few people understood the poll. I don´t want you to follow a community created law I just wanted to point out a difference between outlaws and "good" players.

It also was a test of the community. At the moment we can except some kind of space GTA where war and PKers rule the world.

I mean everyone who wants to trade should have something relieable. Also if companies are interacting with each other. This can´t work without some kiind of business behavior.

Maybe this poll was way too early.

I will reactivate this thread when the first companies fall, the first big constructs got destroyed or hacked. When traders lost all thier goods because of a space bully. When some players start crying about the injuistice of some outlaw actions. Looking forward to that moment... ;)

Thanks for participating the poll.

No, organisations and alliances should set out there own rules and enforce them as they see fit.

The way I see this working is that it will be like the naval wars of the 18th century, you might be privateer in good standing to the British but the Spanish would consider you a pirate and an outlaw.

Some sort of agreement not to shoot people leaving the safe zone and "rules of war" might be welcome but that's up to organizations to decide for there members but thats more to prevent unwanted escalations. 

Make your own. Everyone has their own sets of morals independent of their own country's rules.

It´s interesting that only a few people understood the poll. I don´t want you to follow a community created law I just wanted to point out a difference between outlaws and "good" players.

A cursory glance at the poll's question makes it very much sound like you want people to follow a set of laws. But since you think people have misunderstood (maybe you should have elaborated in your opening post) let's overanalyse your question.

"Should we create community laws - some kind of unwritten space laws that define good and evil in the world of DU? For example - destroying an unsecured construct is not legal."

"Law" and "not legal" make it sound like these will be enforceable rules. Like the Geneva Convention. But then you mention "unwritten" - is this like the British constitution, in which it's more a set of rights defined over dozens of documents and hundreds of years, or do you mean literally unwritten, and thus not legally enforceable in any way and completely unrelated to the first part of the question? Then you mention "good and evil" - moral concepts. Are you talking about defining community morals? By unwritten rules? So what, don't be a dick to people?

I do understand that English may not be your first language (although with a name like Gerald and going over your previous posts, it certainly doesn't seem like it) but I don't see how you could think people would interpret your question in any way other than "Gerald_Deemer wants DU to have game encompassing laws that will affect everyone". If you wanted to talk about morals, or something other than the rule of law, make it more clear.

It also was a test of the community. At the moment we can except some kind of space GTA where war and PKers rule the world.

I mean everyone who wants to trade should have something relieable. Also if companies are interacting with each other. This can´t work without some kiind of business behavior.

Can't rule if the police will kick your pirating ass out of the city. If you wander outside of the safe zones, and aren't armed, expect to be robbed. If you're in a city of pirates, don't be surprised when one of them scams you.

The frontier will always resemble the 16th century - mostly lawless, fairly difficult living. Want to make it rich and live an easy lifestyle? Live in the inner rim of systems, which will resemble the 20th century's politics more, of mostly stable nations occasionally warring. This stable lifestyle will need to be defended with the lives of many and trillions worth of ships and weaponry, but the alternative is a wild west lifestyle of shoot first, ask questions later. Stable business will arise in cities (and will be one of the reasons cities will grow, their relative safety), traders will find inner worlds a safer area to trade in - but more populated, so they're potentially going to make less money competing with many other traders.

right and wrong isn't some black and white concept that all will follow its ambiguous and will be different for different people or groups. We fully understand the poll but we just don't like the idea.  We don't want is someone stepping in and deciding for all of us what those standards and rules should be, if that was something people universally wanted, every country in the world would have the same laws, and there would only be 1 or 0 religions and everyone would follow that. 

Maybe this poll was way too early.

I will reactivate this thread when the first companies fall, the first big constructs got destroyed or hacked. When traders lost all thier goods because of a space bully. When some players start crying about the injuistice of some outlaw actions. Looking forward to that moment... ;)

Thanks for participating the poll.

Obviously Orgs will follow some kind of behaviors to facilitate trade and commerce and cooperation. But again no there doesn't need to be some kind of set in stone rules or anything. It'll be a sort of self policing type thing.

You say that as if any of those things are bad things. Excessive antagonism will be handled by NQ under the ToS, anything else is just content.

Or you know, you could read what Cinderfall is about.

And learn that were more than an org, more than your standard old organisation led by a cult of personality.

If you want the game to be more than the lowest common denominator, check us out, come talk with us.

We are effectively establishing a method for all the orderly nations which sign on to this type of playstyle, to decide what the "normal" rules of engagement are. Some things require laws some don't.

Well I'll be more than happy to talk with you about it further if you would like.

I just wanted to point out a difference between outlaws and "good" players.

See this is where you totally lost me.  The idea that the two sides of the coin are so called "good players" and "outlaws".  

What if i disagree with your laws and for me breaking them means doing the right thing?

See this is where you totally lost me.  The idea that the two sides of the coin are so called "good players" and "outlaws".  

What if i disagree with your laws and for me breaking them means doing the right thing?

There is no coin. Only cash. And cash doesn't lie.

• 3 months later...

It is extremely unlikely that they would actually be followed. Every organization will most likely have its own rules of engagement that will be followed completely ignoring and community rules. The only way to actually enforce it would be to have a large enough organization who wants to act as a police force and even then they would most likely see heavy resistance from other organizations.