Small Fighter weapons?

EmperorToch

From what I have heard, the developers are still working out the details of Construct vs. Construct (ship / building vs. ship / building,) and Construct vs. Avatar combat, including what kind of weapons will be available for it.

If I had to hazard a guess, I would say; Yes, we will have small weapons available for ships. We will already have portable weapons for our avatars, so it would be silly for them to only make weapons that could be operated on a large ship.

Well basically all the videos show small fighter type craft flying around... And there are some cannon type weapons models shown on the larger ships so...

But the exact mechanics of combat between ships is up in the air since it will not be part of the game at launch.

Which means we're free to describe what we want and hope they take on board some of our ideas. 

So with that in mind... I certainly expect small, medium, and large weapon categories.  But I also hope for some more complex mechanics...  Like sensor arrays that a ship could have that enable it to relay targeting info to ships much further away so effective weapon range could be extended.

There's numerous ways that could be employed and countered.  from launching small expendable probes to having stealth ships infiltrate...

• 4 weeks later...

If small ship turrets and whatnot arent allowed i think it would kind of ruin construct vs construct as it would only be between large ships and fighters would only be able to be used as kamikazes and i dont think thats novaquarks vision for space fighting

• 2 months later...

If small ship turrets and whatnot arent allowed i think it would kind of ruin construct vs construct as it would only be between large ships and fighters would only be able to be used as kamikazes and i dont think thats novaquarks vision for space fighting

Although none have been seen yet (as far as i am aware), this will likely change soon as the crowdfunding is coming up to the stretch goal of having construct vs construct at launch, with this adding shields, more turrets, etc.. If this goal is reached, which it is looking very likely that it will be reached, I think we would see some concept art or small ship weapons in game play trailers soon after

Just to be clear, NQ has stated that combat will be based upon the "tabbed targeting" model.  It is not an FPS / Sim.

Target selection in your regular MMORPG is pretty basic, select the target and hot-key until it dies.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but in DU target selection for fighters would be based upon what's currently in your reticle.  This gives the illusion of an FPS, without the overhead.

Larger ships with turrets would operate much like your average RPG.  Select the target and tell your turrets to fire upon it.

NovaQuark has said that construct-vs-construct combat may not be in the initial release.  And everything is still up in the air, except for "tabbed targeting", and this is due to the way they are implementing their network infrasturcture.

Just to be clear, NQ has stated that combat will be based upon the "tabbed targeting" model.  It is not an FPS / Sim.

Target selection in your regular MMORPG is pretty basic, select the target and hot-key until it dies.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but in DU target selection for fighters would be based upon what's currently in your reticle.  This gives the illusion of an FPS, without the overhead.

Larger ships with turrets would operate much like your average RPG.  Select the target and tell your turrets to fire upon it.

NovaQuark has said that construct-vs-construct combat may not be in the initial release.  And everything is still up in the air, except for "tabbed targeting", and this is due to the way they are implementing their network infrasturcture.

Exactly. The targeting system should be fairly transparent so that the average player shouldn't notice it in most situations but it has it's limits. 

Going back the original question, I would imagine there will be a variety of different weapon types that have different sizes, range, power cost and damage output to accommodate all sorts of ships. 

Although none have been seen yet (as far as i am aware), this will likely change soon as the crowdfunding is coming up to the stretch goal of having construct vs construct at launch, with this adding shields, more turrets, etc.. If this goal is reached, which it is looking very likely that it will be reached, I think we would see some concept art or small ship weapons in game play trailers soon after

lol youre a little late fro the answer porcupine, look at the time that was posted :P