What kind of Community is this?

Xplosiv

Peaceful or not  

123 members have voted

1. 1. In Dual Universe, do you want to be peaceful or be a warmonger

Voldemort is a newb.

On topic though, I truly think most conflict will be over territory and profit.

Resources will probably be one of the biggest too as they are supposed to be finite.

Resources will probably be one of the biggest too as they are supposed to be finite.

Agreed, I don't think there will be too much griefing going on.  

Obviously, you can't completely get rid of it... but the fact that you can spread out so much, basically... if you want to avoid griefers it won't be too difficult.  In my opinion anywho.

Agreed, I don't think there will be too much griefing going on.  

Obviously, you can't completely get rid of it... but the fact that you can spread out so much, basically... if you want to avoid griefers it won't be too difficult.  In my opinion anywho.

Wasn't talking about griefing,  I was talking about warfare.  Fighting over resources will not make the participants griefers by default.  Most of our wars in the past have been won or  lost due to economic issues like not having enough resources.  It's going to be one of the most valid reasons to go to war in the game.

Wasn't talking about griefing,  I was talking about warfare.  Fighting over resources will not make the participants griefers by default.  Most of our wars in the past have been won or  lost due to economic issues like not having enough resources.  It's going to be one of the most valid reasons to go to war in the game.

Thing is, when you can expand endlessly, resource attrition is not an actual phenomenon. The only people who may fight over resources, are the people who come later on in the game and have to live off of the asteroids in a system (who could be riggered to respawn around a system's belt). Everyone else can simply expand into new system and gathe resources. 

The only actual warfare going on would end up taking place over strategic locations. If a star system has enough reach to many other sstems for a stargate to have multiple jump points, it's by definition of value to said faction, since Stargates could probably rigged via jump-bridging to act like interstella highways.

I mean, fighting over a choke-point is not an outlandish concept, but fighting over resources in space is sorta outlandish :P

Unless the devs make systems spawn with certain quantities of minerals. I guess a plutonium filled star system will do incite war between factions, as, you know, plutonium be expensive and stuff :P

I guess I was thinking that "this planet" would be rich in iron, "that one" would be rich in copper, and so on.  But if every single planet is abundant with every single resource, then you could be right.

And yes, if you want to try to survive out in the boondocks all by yourself, then maybe you can have all the iron you want.  But there will be plenty of people who don't want to live out there by themselves and will be fighting over those resources that are near civilization and commerce and taking them from those who transport them in from afar.  So I don't think it's ridiculous at all.  Unless of course we DO end up with star gates all over everywhere and have yet another game that nerfs this kind of game-play with fast travel.  If so, then my org is out of business before the game even begins.  But the devs are talking like it could take weeks to get from one system to another for the majority of us, so I believe that a lot of folks will be looking for an easier way to get resources than moving weeks away from everyone else.

I guess I was thinking that "this planet" would be rich in iron, "that one" would be rich in copper, and so on.  But if every single planet is abundant with every single resource, then you could be right.

And yes, if you want to try to survive out in the boondocks all by yourself, then maybe you can have all the iron you want.  But there will be plenty of people who don't want to live out there by themselves and will be fighting over those resources that are near civilization and commerce and taking them from those who transport them in from afar.  So I don't think it's ridiculous at all.  Unless of course we DO end up with star gates all over everywhere and have yet another game that nerfs this kind of game-play with fast travel.  If so, then my org is out of business before the game even begins.  But the devs are talking like it could take weeks to get from one system to another for the majority of us, so I believe that a lot of folks will be looking for an easier way to get resources than moving weeks away from everyone else.

Hermit McTwerk's Ironworks

And I believe, the fact miners will make mad banks, is because they are them crazy folk going into the fringes of the known in-game world to mine rare resources out of star systems. Explorers will probably have it worse, since they will be mostly solo players, so, good luck dealing with them crazy people out there :P

Also, your kind of org can be used to smuggle in materials for build or even deployign yourself, a probe fleet that a fleet can use to jump into a system they don't have access through. Smuggling works in more ways than one.

In EVE, "covert mining vessels", are used to deploy Cyno-fields, which act like DU's jump probe concept, where ships can jump onto those fields and bridge a fleet of ships (or carriers simply carrying a heck-tonne of bombers).

Smugglers, especially the good ones, will be sought after for their ability to "move around".  A smuggler doesn't only have to smuggle drugs to be a legit smuggler. :P

Hehe, yes, I believe there will be quite a market for smugglers and the like.   But I doubt it will be easy to be successful at it.  At least that's what I'm counting on.  And that brings me back to my main point, resources will be fought over - be it to own the areas surrounding them or by taking them from people who transport them, or by taking over stargates, etc.   I think many players will opt for warfare (or pirating) before they will choose the hermit life.

At least I hope so :D   Won't need space truckers, smugglers,or even pirates otherwise.

Hehe, yes, I believe there will be quite a market for smugglers and the like.   But I doubt it will be easy to be successful at it.  At least that's what I'm counting on.  And that brings me back to my main point, resources will be fought over - be it to own the areas surrounding them or by taking them from people who transport them, or by taking over stargates, etc.   I think many players will opt for warfare (or pirating) before they will choose the hermit life.

At least I hope so :D   Won't need space truckers, smugglers,or even pirates otherwise.

I hope smugglers won't be easy to catch, otherwise I won't be able to mail my Death Squads to people :P

But yeah, given the way NovaQuark is developing the game, they seem to favor modularity for resources, from constructs having both 3D mesh and voxels to how organisations are created (from JC's interviews, the way he explaisn it at least)., so I can see a possibility of NQ doing the whole trick of : 

"you CAN have a jump drive on your ship and try to jump to another system without a probe or a stargate to guide you, HOWVER, without a probe or a star-gate to guide you, do NOT blame NovaQuark if you accidentally end up inside a star". 

Which, evidentally, could be hilarious and would demand some real skillpoints training investment and some actuall experience on "sailing the high seas" as of when to jump to another system, or heck, even the aforementioned EVE thing of Cloaked Scouts that go ahead of you to see if it's safe to jump on them.

I mean, you guys got the right idea that smuggling is not a "one man show", no matter what the name "Han Solo" may imply. If I were you, I would bank on having "associates" in each system to set up "jump points" for you to jump to, of course, for a price. That's how in fact, actual smugglers work, wwith connections to the boards' authorities :P

Emergent Gameplay I guess :P

Not gonna tell you our plans, but lets just say that you're not the only person who's thought about all of the implications and requirements to be successful in such an industry. ;)

But to do that you would need an elite, hand picked team to create some sort of crew or outfit... oh.

Personally I'm probably going to stick primarily to industry, though I think helping the supply chain to feed warmongers might be a bit fun - that and I know for a fact I'll be constantly earning money in that route! On the other hand...setting up the foundations for a colony would also be pretty fun too...maybe even exploration could be nice.

I've just had enough of constant war, I've been dealing with that pretty exclusively for the past 6 years and I think it's time for me to be a carebear.