What kind of Community is this?

Xplosiv

Peaceful or not  

123 members have voted

1. 1. In Dual Universe, do you want to be peaceful or be a warmonger

Just trying to see what kind of community this will be. Are the majority of players wanting to live a live of peace, or do they have a lust for blood?

The game is built for both. Neither is more valid than the other. The warmongers will need ships and weapons to war with. The ships they have will need repairs or replacing. The arms race will ensure that the best ships will be in demand.  Sure, warmongers can have their own ship yards but they won't be quite as good as those provided by organisations concentrating solely on ship building. 

Hate to say it - but the majority are here to break from their peaceful, monotonous real life, just to cause hell... and feel good about themselves while doing it. 

Civilization will allow for more civilized and constructive outlets for raising hell, such as the glory of arena battles, hovercraft races or treasure hunts.  I am sure there will be those that wish to watch the world burn, and for those there is a military answer.

Everything will be burned, scammed, griefed and destroyed as long as it's within the eula.

There will always be some bears who want to avoid PvP - and I'm glad that there WILL be people who will force them to fight.,

It's a game - people always forget that and get all serious about it

I hope for peace and prepare for war. I'm for both or touched by both aspects.

We only tried to mind our own business and add infrastructure to a wilderness in Minecraft - what we got was total war, forced upon us by others.

Over time we fought back and got over all those obstacles - we kind of won with our alliance in short, in that particular server community. Could we pursue our initial goals? No.

Was there notable infrastructure in the torn up region? No, not really either. It was a large landscape with many abandoned or bombed areas.

Regardless, it felt uplifting having survived all that and having brought war to the warmongers themselves. There is something fascinating about you being attacked brutally and put on siege but slowly move a conflict over to the enemy. As you sit in another trench as artillery crashes upon them (with you on the attack this time), you wonder if it was all necessary or smart on their behalf.

The experience taught me one thing from the perspective of the defender - you will eventually get your ass handed to you if you attack all others without any real reason or indiscriminately. At the same time you have to prepare for war to overcome it or at least get through it with some pieces left.

In short, I favor stability or peace - but like to have an armory filled and in working condition just in case.

Personally, I prefer a more passive and sidelines approach, helping whoever is needed and such. 
Though, I can fight when I have to. 

But it is indeed an interesting this to have raised this question, as I believe that whilst a lot of the community may ascertain that they want to be peaceful, they won't be avoiding the fight. 
It's a community where those who want to mark their lines in the sand will do so however they see fit. 

It's going to be interesting to see how everyone plays their time - whether they fight out of necessity, for survival or for the fun of it, or, well, whether they fight at all! 

Hate to say it - but the majority are here to break from their peaceful, monotonous real life, just to cause hell... and feel good about themselves while doing it. 

Let me surprise you there, check the current poll status. Sure it won't be representative to the entire community right now, but the trend is set. 

I work a stressful job during the day in a call-center. Kicking back, enjoying a cold one whiles on mining runs without people bothering me too much is quite relaxing. If bandits, pirates, reapers, grievers or junkers come out to have a swing at you, then you have a short excitement and feel all the more awesome when you get away. 

Come home, have another cold one and turn on Netflix while the ore is processing. I know exactly how to live a comfy life in video games.

Let me surprise you there, check the current poll status. Sure it won't be representative to the entire community right now, but the trend is set. 

I work a stressful job during the day in a call-center. Kicking back, enjoying a cold one whiles on mining runs without people bothering me too much is quite relaxing. If bandits, pirates, reapers, grievers or junkers come out to have a swing at you, then you have a short excitement and feel all the more awesome when you get away. 

Come home, have another cold one and turn on Netflix while the ore is processing. I know exactly how to live a comfy life in video games.

Probably be a lot different if there were more options in the poll.  No shades of gray offered at all, which is why I didn't vote for either.  There are already plenty of vanilla games out there to play.  I'm bored with them all.  Want something with a little more excitement.  If I have to have the TV on while playing a game, that means my game is not engaging enough to entertain me on its own merit.  Not exactly a goal that game developers should be shooting for, IMO.

Probably be a lot different if there were more options in the poll.  No shades of gray offered at all, which is why I didn't vote for either.  There are already plenty of vanilla games out there to play.  I'm bored with them all.  Want something with a little more excitement.  If I have to have the TV on while playing a game, that means my game is not engaging enough to entertain me on its own merit.  Not exactly a goal that game developers should be shooting for, IMO.

Should I add a third option?-   A mix of both

Nah, if it were me, I'd wait a few weeks and then run it again with another option.  We're getting pvp, without doubt, so it will end up being a mix of both, regardless.   And I think folks know that.  Probably why we have so many orgs set up this far ahead of Alpha.   Up to you though, if you do post a third one, that would be my vote.

I expect most people interested in this game are into building.

SOME of what people will want to build will be tools of war, many will have defense systems, but probably most of it will be to look cool and serve social/economic functions.

The game's slogan IS "rebuilding civilization together" after-all. That's got to attract much more of a cooperative mindset player than a murder-hobo style.

Well, if you add the ones who want some warmongering (both options) it's about even.  And that's considering the third option was added after 20 or so people already voted. 

I still think it will be a healthy mix of both types of players.  THAT is what is going to make this game good.  If all we have are builders, we have another Landmark on our hands with nothing to do but ooh and ahh at other folks builds.  If all we have are warmongers, then we have another Eve.  We need both to have an exciting universe with lots to do for different play-styles.  So if some players are offering safety in their Orgs, you better keep that promise or those folks will leave the game.  And if no one ever wants to fight anyone, then THOSE guys will leave the game.   We need both.

Part of me wants to spend all my time in "town" crafting and selling my stuff...

But there's also a desire to occasionally join a group transporting stuff through pirate infested space as a guard...  And so players who play as pirates are necessary for me to fight against...