What will the flight model be in space?

Airplanes and/or submarines in space (the most common way games do it)? Six degrees of freedom with no friction (the way space really works)? Something in between (like Star Citizen)?

I'm thinking about this from a design point of view. It drastically changes what will work for a spaceship.

Also, will ships have artificial gravity on board? Will we need an element to implement that?

I think space shouldn't have gravity, but a XYZ coords to display "up, down, left, right, forward, and backward".

Also, having a flight model is semi-easy. If we are speaking of Space Engineers Aerodynamics Mod, its about a few megabytes. Not a whole lot and little impact to simspeed.

But yeah. That'd be neat, but caves are much more important  :D  (Oh no, the Twerkmotor smiley face is spreading. We must stop the infection)

I imagine it will be the more traditional WWII planes in space.  Would love to be surprised, but it seems like it would be just too much for them to do anything otherwise.  I mean, if they have to settle on a lock and fire system, and  a system where the further you out you are  the less updates you get... I imagine they will have to make sacrifices in the flight model as well.

Like I said, would love to be wrong though :)

Now that I think of it, I remember in the DPU devblog, they mentioned that flight will work by implementing actual thrust from the thrusters. (This was in that blog because it was discussing the DPU's need to control them and how that would work.)

That implies that we have 6DoF if the construct designer wants it. If I put 8 steering trusters on a ship... hmm... probably need 12 for full control... I can program keys to allow 6 DoF.

So my question really breaks down to two things.

1. If you point a moving ship in a direction will, its direction of flight change to that direction? (i.e. planes in space).

2. will a ship maintain velocity without continued thrust once it is moving. (i.e., Newtonian-ish movement).

Another question would be, is there a speed limit, but I assume this will be necessary as a game engine limitation.

• 2 weeks later...

I really hope they go with the realistic, 6DoF with no friction but a maximum speed limit like Space Engineers does. Inertial dampening becomes a function of your flight software that you can turn off when making a long trip.

I really hate the idea of planes in space behaving like they are in an atmosphere.

I want to build a ship with one big engine only and flip over every time I need to make a corrective burn  :D

I want to build a ship with one big engine only and flip over every time I need to make a corrective burn   :D

That was awesome in Jumpgate, it was so sweet to come in full speed in hauler then flip over for a break burn, hoping you have enough boost and distance to slow down and not explode on impact.

• 2 months later...

Did a search to see if this had been discussed before. I'm all for 6DoF. I liked how EVE 'programmed' modes of flight with commands that allowed for orbits of specific radii or maintaining a specific distance from a target. Going manual might be a case of point and click then let the thrusters do their best to align along that vector as quickly as possible. Joystick flying might make sense in atmo/liquid  due to the aerodynamic/hydrodynamic forces and gravity and/or bouyancy minimizing the problem of thrust, but other than that mouse may be the best manual option. Or keys, if you need precise control over each DoF.

No, no, I certainly saw that, Ripper :) My question has to do with how players will actually pilot vehicles. It's great that NQ are electing to get quite detailed with vectors and other forces (like gravity) in their flight model. I want to know what the controls will be for said vehicles.

No, no, I certainly saw that, Ripper :) My question has to do with how players will actually pilot vehicles. It's great that NQ are electing to get quite detailed with vectors and other forces (like gravity) in their flight model. I want to know what the controls will be for said vehicles.

From what i can tell it will probably be very similar to how most games control the main difference would be in the construction of the ship as it would need scripts to help keep it level and do other complex functions as they have said they will provide several simple scripts though i could also be totally wrong and it be something different

From what i can tell it will probably be very similar to how most games control the main difference would be in the construction of the ship as it would need scripts to help keep it level and do other complex functions as they have said they will provide several simple scripts though i could also be totally wrong and it be something different

Except if I get a say in the keybinds with Lua.

Then prepare for the revolutionary method of :

W, E = Forward thrust, W left main propulsion, E right main propulsion. Let go for W, you yaw left, likewise for E..

A, F = A is for left side maneuvering thrusters, F for the right side.

S, D = S is rolling left, D is rolling right.

C = Dive.

Spacebar = Pivot. 

Talk about some precision cruise controls. And this doesn't even cover the ACTUAL clutch idea I have for tuning the rate of the controls. :P

W, E = Forward thrust, W left main propulsion, E right main propulsion. Let go for W, you yaw left, likewise for E..

C = Dive.

Spacebar = Pivot. 

Talk about some precision cruise controls. And this doesn't even cover the ACTUAL clutch idea I have for tuning the rate of the controls. :P

I pity whoever has to fly off in your ships :P

C = Dive.

Spacebar = Pivot. 

Sounds like driving a boat

"Twerkmotor, we need to escape fast!"

"Hold on, lemme read the 250 page long book on how to fly this again."

You assume I have to escape. Period. See, thisi s why I'm mxing out shotguns in the game. Close quarters = best quarters.

With Lua and 6 directions for thrust values, it could just as easily be something NQ decide the players are left to do. Maybe the market ends up with several options for controlling ships. You  could have TCS(Twerk Control System), RPC(Ripper Pilot Configuration) and KMP(Kuritho Maneuver Procedure) that each do more or less the same thing but using different key/mouse commands. Some may have specific commands for things like multi-planar rotations while other systems focus on simpler rotational solutions to accomplish the same end position. This in turn could influence ship designs and the type and strength of various thrusters on it, taking advantage of CoM to allow for faster maneuvering. It could get pretty complicated. Sounds like a market!

I'm not sure about cockpits.  My understanding is the current cockpit has a built in control module.  I would hope there will be alternative cockpits that allow the player to use a custom control module.

Bridges are completely customizable.  NovaQuark has said there will be display modules that can be linked to custom control modules.  The custom control modules would have a user programmed DPU.

For those that don't write code, NQ will be providing some basic scripts to get you off the ground.