Alpha Access for Designers

Archonious

Hi,

The first impression is huge power. Since Dual Universe is an almost unknown project for the world community, this opportunity is still open. What if you (NQ) make some direct invitations to creative players? I am not talking about just average nice looking craft makers, but about massive project builders.

As an example:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=786101778 - Massive Mars Base (to understand whole massiveness you need to try it)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=551287123 - Nice Creative Ship

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=651768751 - Nice Creative Ship

This is Space Engineers game (I don't have any other samples of games with nice looking player made designs). So why not to make an invitation to these players and ask them to create something amazing? And then use these materials for your future advertisement of the game. You will gain from this only.

If you (NQ) would agree with that, it would be cool to have about 10 invitations. The community would suggest the best authors. Then we can choose the best by voting (or direct NQ choice).

P.S: I do not try to get Alpha Access, already have two =) So please, focus on the idea.

Thanks,

Archonious

It's certainly a fine idea, I don't have huge opinions about it. However, I feel NQ should choose people that are actively involved with the game for the alpha. From what I've gathered about what they've said regarding entrance to the alpha, they want people that are cool, who care about the game. That being said, I don't think bringing people in from other games is hugely beneficial; sure they can make cool things, but what does that do for NQ? They want people who care about the game to be the ones that get early access, as a reward. That's my opinion. I've made stuff for space engineers, but I wouldn't expect that to really be a factor if I was even considered for the alpha. Perhaps as an added bonus, if NQ was on the fence, but not a determining factor.

I thought the Alpha was open for everyone.

only if you bought a kick starter package that included alpha access or were chosen by NQ to be an Alpha tester (You would have gotten a notification on the forum about it if you were) 

I believe the community can fill this role during the alpha phase. 
We don't need to bring anyone in pre-alpha or extremely early alpha, as someone said above me, there are quite talented people already within this community. 

We may aswell allow people with a passion about the game design things that are there to show the power and awesomeness of it! 

I believe the community can fill this role during the alpha phase. 

We don't need to bring anyone in pre-alpha or extremely early alpha, as someone said above me, there are quite talented people already within this community. 

We may aswell allow people with a passion about the game design things that are there to show the power and awesomeness of it! 

Yeah, possible =) But I didn't see any example made by this community (especially many came from EVE and have 0 skill experience of creativity designing). So this is just an opportunity for NQ to get nice looking cover for advertisement in future.

When they posted a video of building a ship on the asteroid, there were many comments - "This ship looking badly!" (so potential customer is not satisfied, and that's mean advertisement failed). It is like a nice looking cover for product and beautiful advertisement picture.

To contact few greatly creative authors (who will be enjoyed to create something beautiful) will be very cheap and not require much time. These authors have youtube channels with many subscribers (who are target auditory), so the video will be posted (99%), and that is another level of advertisement/marketing.

Yes, Alpha could be a bit early, maybe late alpha or beta. Personally, I don't care much. But if I would see great videos with great ships or stations, or maybe the process of building of these great ships/stations, I would be much more satisfied with the game (if I can not try). I believe, there are many people who can look the same way.

Thanks,

Archonious

Yeah, possible =) But I didn't see any example made by this community (especially many came from EVE and have 0 skill of creativity). So this is just an opportunity for NQ to get nice looking cover for advertisement in future.

When they posted a video of building a ship on the asteroid, there were many comments - "This ship looking badly!" (so potential customer is not satisfied, and that's mean advertisement failed). It is like a nice looking cover for product and beautiful advertisement picture.

To contact few greatly creative authors (who will be enjoyed to create something beautiful) will be very cheap and not require much time. These authors have youtube channels with many subscribers (who are target auditory), so the video will be posted (99%), and that is another level of advertisement/marketing.

Yes, Alpha could be a bit early, maybe late alpha or beta. Personally, I don't care much. But if I would see great videos with great ships or stations, or maybe the process of building of these great ships/stations, I would be much more satisfied with the game (if I can not try). I believe, there are many people who can look the same way.

Thanks,

Archonious

Why do you think eve players are not creative? Don't you think that it MIGHT be possible that they also play OTHER games? Like space engineers? Landmark? Why should an eve player be less creative than some other random guy?

Taste is subjective - there will always be people who dislike a design. So what? If there are people who find DU promising and like the MMO voxel, emergent gameplay thing but don't follow it or donate or buy this game because of ONE FRIGGING DESIGN THEY SAW PRE ALPHA WHICH WAS BUILT BY DEVS then they are just plain dumb and fucking idiots

Why do you think eve players are not creative? Don't you think that it MIGHT be possible that they also play OTHER games? Like space engineers? Landmark? Why should an eve player be less creative than some other random guy?

Sorry, used wrong words. I mean an experience of creative designing. And if you played SE or something else just to try (but most time spent in the noncreative game) this mean almost nothing, especially in global projects designing.

And that's about the advertisement. If to know at least a little bit about adv, you would understand what I mean =)

Thanks,

Archonious

Sorry, used wrong words. I mean an experience of creative designing. And if you played SE or something else just to try (but most time spent in the noncreative game) this mean almost nothing, especially in global projects designing.

And that's about the advertisement. If to know at least a little bit about adv, you would understand what I mean =)

Thanks,

Archonious

All hail to mighty Archonius, chief advertising manager!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, NQ already does invitations every quarter of a year. More than ten too. They post about it on the forums, and invite people who contribute to the community - and those contributions could very well be creative stuff people did for the game.

I think it's done that way specifically because it shows which people are truly passionate about DU. Which to me makes a lot more sense than just inviting random people who have made something in some other game. I would also argue that there is already plenty of creative talent in the current existing DU community, and there's no reason not to see what people come up with in alpha - so inviting people who may not give a stuff about DU may work as a double edged sword.

If you really wanted to promote the game in this manner, do something along the lines of what star citizen did with their "next great starship" competition. Make a little side-competition available to anyone, with top prizes getting alpha keys and whatnot, and potentially have the created constructs appear in game. This may be what you've already meant in the OP, but it did sound like you were suggesting just randomly giving people alpha access based on something they made in some other game, and regardless of whether they are interested or not in DU in the first place. And even if you do find a very creative player, it's not going to do much in terms of marketing or promoting the game - unless that player also happens to have a youtube channel or whatnot.

I concurr with the majority here, take a look at some of the "ship design" threads here and you will see a few pretty slick concepts!

On a side note, something they might consider doing is seeking out the creative players who already will be testing during Alpha, and if they have a really nifty ship or building design, ask to borrow it for an advertising video. You could end up with 5 really cool ships being flown into / around an awesome spaceport or docking station, for example. The ships were all made by different people, as was the spaceport, but they were all borrowed at the same time to make the video.

If they publish grand stories in beta like they do it in eve now with quarrels starting and so on between orgs, attention will be big enough. Plus they can show off cities, ships, bases some players built. No need for the extra invitations

there is no need to specially invite "artist" to the alpha, the alpha is for bug extermination :P

Might be good for popularity in the late beta tho.

Yeah, you are right. I already said, it would be more actual for beta (mid/late), to make great advertisement program. It was also actual before kickstarter, but there was no opportunity to do something like that.

P.S: It was said there are a lot of great works already presented. Could you show at least few constructions (made by author of the post), not just pictures from internet?

Honestly, I didn't see any examples of great works made by anyone from this community in construction game.

Thanks,

Archonious

Yeah, you are right. I already said, it would be more actual for beta (mid/late), to make great advertisement program. It was also actual before kickstarter, but there was no opportunity to do something like that.

P.S: It was said there are a lot of great works already presented. Could you show at least few constructions (made by author of the post), not just pictures from internet?

Honestly, I didn't see any examples of great works made by anyone from this community in construction game.

Thanks,

Archonious

Well many will only start building in alpha...and I don't see anyone claim saying they made wonderous things already

Well many will only start building in alpha...and I don't see anyone claim saying they made wonderous things already

That is reason mainly. To create something looking good (not great, just good) is not that easy as it could looks like in beginning. Designing and art building requires good imagination and (very important) good practise. Or player need to be talant in this =)

I practise my design skill in SE (about 1 year) and built some nice looking crafts in Robocraft before. And I see massive progress with what I did in my first experience and what I do now (and it is far from limit). It is hard to create something great. But people love to see some great objects in advertisement videos.

Yes, there is chance to catch great art designer in alpha-beta testers crowd (I don't believe it is big chance). But if majority of build would be typical boxed crafts (most craft builders make boxes)? Craft without shape with max gun spam. I am in crafting PvP games since Jan'14, Art/Creative people is very rare here.

So overall, this is just one of the ways to get easy/free art works in future, because many art players would be happy to try new project. In return they build good quality objects (which could has specifications required by NQ).

P.S: As I said before, personally, I do not care about this (accesses), I have all I need already. And unfortunatelly, do not have creative designers in friend list =(

Thanks,

Archonious

Why not just let the Devs worry about their own advertising?  I'm here to play a game, not build marketing creatives.  Been there, done that, didn't even get a T-shirt.

Without offence, but if follow this logic most part of forum need to be clised/banned. And nobody force you to do anything. Want to play? Then close forum and wait ~2019

Could you show at least few constructions (made by author of the post), not just pictures from internet?

Thanks,

Archonious

The thread I was referring to is here: https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/10213-ship-designs/

Although, after looking through it a second time, it seems there are not as many designs as I originally thought. Also, they are more like blueprints than actual builds. Some of them are kinda neat though!

Also here: https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/1207-thoughts-on-these-designs/?view=findpost&p=16109&hl=%2Bship+%2Bdesign

Again, more 3D model-ish instead of functional construct. But it shows that there are creative people out there already involved in the game.

Yes, there is chance to catch great art designer in alpha-beta testers crowd (I don't believe it is big chance). But if majority of build would be typical boxed crafts (most craft builders make boxes)? Craft without shape with max gun spam. I am in crafting PvP games since Jan'14, Art/Creative people is very rare here.

i think you're wrong there, ofc, very high quality crafts will be rare, but, from my experience of playing empyrion on servers, most people still try to create decent looking vessels and bases.

You had to buy alpha access from kickstarter, problen would be solved.

If devs will start promoting some super desogners to fill the universe... well, it would become fake. Normal people (including talented and oposite) should create the universe. I disagree to the point someone should work on profesional ingame content (cities, ships, etc) to promote the game, not even in late beta or after release. They should do promotional videos from naturally created content. And about alpha, it's not about designing at that stage of the game.

Sorry for my bad english.