Puzzles and riddles

Joakim

At first that may sound pointless, and you may think that you could just Google the answers etc... And I agree that would be boring!

What I'm proposing is something more, something bigger! Something to keep you exploring all corners of the universe (or, you know, what is avaliable to us at least)!

It should be first come, first serve for one - That way even if you solved it and post about it online it won't benefit anyone else, because the reward was already claimed! If there are more, make sure they aren't to similar and/or closely related as well.

I'd also like to see something you really couldn't guess. Perhaps there's a finite number of attempts before the reward is destroyed or something like that, and it should either make you rack your brain IRL or send you scurrying for clues to solve it before someone else finds it!

Games that have things like this usually let everyone get a crack at it, and reap the rewards. You can often just Google "[GAME] puzzle answer" and Bob's your uncle. This takes away the whole point of having mysteries and puzzles hidden and scattered about, and being clever enough to solve them for yourself!

I realize this is a very loose idea with open ends all over, which was my full intention since I don't want to suggest any (or know what) mysteries we might uncover in ruins of old civilizations!

NQ has hinted at some "secrets" being in game, but who knows what that may turn out to be, if it is just lore or some kind of in-game thing? I doubt it is something they would spend too much time on since the focus is in player-created content. Technically a player could create these kind of puzzles, for example leading you from place to place until you reach a cargo container.

LUA functionality could probably implement some of what you are saying. I could make a puzzle A, that requires tricks that you might learn in puzzle C and puzzle B. Anyways, the details of this are useless. Allow me to explain some more of why unfortunately a puzzle like challenge made by NQ won't be in the game.

NQ is mostly focusing on player created content, meaning they are shifting heavily away from a rewards and quests system with predefined loot and challenges. We can create missions or something similar. That is a system that NQ said they would implement. In turn this means that stuff like puzzles and quests that give you loot are not existent in the game, unless it is a player created quest.

As well, during the interview that I and the DUExplorers did with JC, if I remember correctly we asked whether it was onscreen or off screen about whether there would be items that only so many players could get. The answer was no, as they wanted all players to be able to achieve the same point in the game. There would be no items that only the elite or others may have.

Anyways, I hope that answers this thread here.

MasteredRed said it all basically. The idea of exploring and finding ancient alien ruins, and in order to solve the puzzle there you realize there's two more somewhere else in the galaxy that you have to find, is super cool. No doubt that a galaxy-spanning treasure hunt would be awesome. However, it simply does not fit in with what the developers want. We could sit around all day and talk about ideas for the game that would make it more fun, and even if they would do that, none of them might be in the final game. There's no treasure hunts in Halo, there's no open world in Uncharted, there's no parkour in Skyrim. All these things might have the chance to make those games more fun, they might not, but the fact is whether they do or not is irrelevant because the developers simply did not put them into the game, because they had different ideas about what they wanted for it. Same goes for NQ with DU; there are any number of ideas and concepts which may make the game more fun for many, but ultimately it's about what the developers want for the game, and they want it all to be player-created content.

At first that may sound pointless, and you may think that you could just Google the answers etc... And I agree that would be boring!

What I'm proposing is something more, something bigger! Something to keep you exploring all corners of the universe (or, you know, what is avaliable to us at least)!

It should be first come, first serve for one - That way even if you solved it and post about it online it won't benefit anyone else, because the reward was already claimed! If there are more, make sure they aren't to similar and/or closely related as well.

I'd also like to see something you really couldn't guess. Perhaps there's a finite number of attempts before the reward is destroyed or something like that, and it should either make you rack your brain IRL or send you scurrying for clues to solve it before someone else finds it!

Games that have things like this usually let everyone get a crack at it, and reap the rewards. You can often just Google "[GAME] puzzle answer" and Bob's your uncle. This takes away the whole point of having mysteries and puzzles hidden and scattered about, and being clever enough to solve them for yourself!

I realize this is a very loose idea with open ends all over, which was my full intention since I don't want to suggest any (or know what) mysteries we might uncover in ruins of old civilizations!

In a player driven sandbox people should stop wanting content from the devs. Really. All those ideas are against players in fact. Want such a riddle? Make it yourself. Want a maze for players to escape? Build it. You are not confined to what devs in other mmos do, this is a sandbox - do whatever you want

In a player driven sandbox people should stop wanting content from the devs. Really. All those ideas are against players in fact. Want such a riddle? Make it yourself. Want a maze for players to escape? Build it. You are not confined to what devs in other mmos do, this is a sandbox - do whatever you want

Ruins would be a great addition. it doesn't takes away anything. without something to explore explorer role would be pointless.

I was previously attempting to think of natural occurrences that would be fun to find and explore. The only thing I came up with was randomized wormholes, as in "natural stargates" which are volatile, and may only open once a week, or go to a different system every time. It is a hard concept.

A neat possibility though is that you yourself could make a sort of treasure hunt, and let other people find it. Whether that is realistic at all or not, I don't know yet, but it's not like galaxy-wide puzzles can't be in the game.

Ruins would be a great addition. it doesn't takes away anything. without something to explore explorer role would be pointless.

I think exploring in DU is more like prospecting, finding rare ores. Or just seeing different planets. After some time where players have built up you could explore player creations. Creating stargates and opening up new systems is also a form of exploring.

The way I see content: missions, dev provided events, scripted events and so on. Tools have to be provided, and ruins are category "what there is to explore". What players do with those ruins should be up to them and not determined by the devs

We will have voxels and scripting.  I'm sure that players will be creating some awesome things to explore and find.  When I played LM, games like this were one of the first things that folks started making.  And that's when the L&T was nothing more than a crude (and almost futile) exercise in binary code. So it will happen.  And if it doesn't, there will be nothing stopping you from making it happen yourself.  Except maybe pirates  :ph34r: 

The way I see content: missions, dev provided events, scripted events and so on. Tools have to be provided, and ruins are category "what there is to explore". What players do with those ruins should be up to them and not determined by the devs

I never said anything about missions and events. under ruins i meant abadoned structural wonders with sweet loot.

what players do with the ruins should be up to them. you would be able make it a themepark if you want to.

I can see player run treasure hunts working quite well DU. Now I am thinking of setting up a few myself. Anyone else interested in creating unique riddles, tasks and clues for a few treasure hunts of varying scope, drop me a PM.

Build it and they will come.

Let me clarify a couple of points, I realize by the replies that I my suggestion was aimed solely at the devs - It wasn't (entirely).

It would of course be cool if there were pre-existing things to explore on the other side of Star gates etc, but this is was also a general call to arms to anyone who's clever and dedicated enough to set something like this up!

Second part was the assumption that I meant reward as in currency or items, it could just be a title within a specific organization ex. "[name]: Galactic genius" or whatever, or something else that can't be pawned off at the nearest trade hub. The problem with items and currency is that as the markets move and develope there's a big chance that the reward just won't be any good once the puzzle has been solved. This is also where it could be more interesting if the devs were involved.

Also, last part, is that this could show up at a later expansion. Let's say there's nothing like it from the start because devs are 100% focused on not making this another NMS crash and burn, but later on in expansions that allow us to move beyond the first solar system there could be something... 

Anyway I'd also like to clarify to any hypemasters out there that this is not likely to happen (from the dev side), I know that as well, so don't jot this down as a promise. Maybe Kurock & Co. will make it happen though :)