I really want to believe in this but ... really, this doesn't add up!

war

Thanks @Shockeray ... exactly that, I could get more technical but the idea here is that any conclusion we come to it would be nice if it benefited the masses not just the few of us that understand complex algorithms like Dual Contouring.

@Captain Jack It's not that I don't understand these things, maybe i'm just not explaining it well ... but given the length of my last post if that's the only mistake I made it's not all that bad surely!
The fact is Voxel technology has been around for some time but has never made it in to the MMO world and for good reasons but as things like Minecraft become more popular people don't understand that Voxels are expensive, but I really don't think DU is using 1 meter cubed size Voxels and that's part of the reason why it appeals to many.

I guess if anything my question boils to ...
What is it that NQ have solved that the rest of the world hasn't? 

There's clearly a break through here which is seriously cool, but i'm grasping at various ideas in how they may have put the pieces together to get my head round why this works at all!
It should also be noted that I have never claimed to be a game developer (written some game code before but i'm definitely not a game dev).

6 minutes ago, Captain Jack said:

Heavens no, I was not insulting his use of grammar, nor his person. I withdraw my comment and will crawl back into the hole from which I came.

Be nice, offer some ideas!

1 minute ago, Shockeray said:

I'm sorry, I didn't mean that your opinions weren't valid, just that your approach was not constructive. It would be helpful for you to point out where you think his logic is flawed rather than just claiming he isn't knowledgeable on the topic with a blanket statement. We can't all be experts in everything.

I second that, maybe someone has some insight i'm missing here?

Put another way ...

1. Minecraft (big Voxels, the low detail makes the work load achievable on the CPU)

2. Space Engineers (smaller Voxels, newer tech, they or other engines like Voxelfarm likely use the GPU to handle the Voxel workload processing)

3. There were games like used other techniques in the past (e.g. Outcast) to acheive the render load but no networking or editing was involved back then.

None of these have any form networking that can handle the scale we are talking about here and likely will never do so.
So how is this DU doing what seems like the impossible?

My gut feeling:

Maybe the answer is simply ... not handing around raw Voxels, and instead only handing round deltas / changes / some other form of data makes this work.

but in an MMO where simply keeping everyones position in sync is hard work (aka large battle in eve) handing around "the shape of an object" is a major feat!

If this makes me seem somehow less credible as a developer to someone on here ... tell me exactly what i'm missing don't just rant that I know nothing!

3 minutes ago, TehWardy said:

tell me exactly what i'm missing don't just rant that I know nothing!

My one sentence comment was hardly a rant, and I certainly didn't imply that you know nothing.

After reading all your detailed well written assumptions, I was about to challenge your self proclaimed status as a "developer", especially after the comment about not being able to fit all the data through the pipe that connects your computer to the game server.

Since that comment has apparently drawn the ire of some, I'll just drop it. It's not my place. This is your thread and I'll leave you to it. No offense intended.