Mission-centered Economy

Dxeo

Now this is a "What if?" situation since I'm not exactly sure how the economy system would fully work so here goes.

So,

Part 1. What if the way to earn money is to trade resources in for credits using game generated missions. For example: get XXXX amount of wood for XXXX credits. Have it for renewable resources so we don't just feed the game resources that don't regenerate :).

Part 2. Give the organizations the ability to create a Mission Board (of some kind), And allow them to set taxes for it (with some limit of course). Say organization A has 10% tax on the credit rewards from it's Mission board. so people can generate money for their organization. And allow the organization to set taxes for it's members and non-members separately.

Part 3. Give members of the organization the ability to post their own missions for credit rewards on the mission board. And give the organization the ability to tax the rewards for that as well. The tax is optional of course depending on the organization.

Part 4. Allow the organization itself to post missions for credit rewards with the funds being deducted from it's "Guild Bank".

Part 5. Have all the mission boards from a certain organization linked together and give the option for the user/organization created missions for them to be local to the board or publicly shared on the organization's mission board network.

Part 6. Now this is optional, add a global mission browser for all players to see the missions list and locations of the boards to take the missions from.

Part 7. The physical reward part is simple. People who post missions can claim their mission from the board they posted the mission from, the board can have an inventory for each player to house the "asked for" in the mission which they can "Loot" and the organization can have a bigger one (for organization posted missions).

Part 8. Have a board at the arkship spawn point at the start with limited missions just to start people off. And have the boards created by the organizations give better missions with better rewards.

Now this is just a fantasy i had of an organizational driven economy with an organization creating towns, hubs, and outposts to further grow and generate revenue for itself and it's members. I'm not very good at explaining ideas in plain words so please pardon the confusing descriptions. 

(This is not meant to replace an in-game market, it's just a way to generate credits)

So, similar to the way that Star Wars Galaxies had money enter the economy. This could work, but since PvE does not exist (as far as we know), the only mission types would be courier, crafting (like courier, but you craft the items from the components given to you on the way) and exploration (go to place, head back). The amount of money made through this method was determined by distance to the objective in SWG, which would have been abused in SWG if you could place them yourself due to fast travel stations (put them next to fast travel stations and at oposing corners of the map), but won't in DU because fast travel doesn't exist. I think this is the way to go for getting money into the economy, it just needs to be balanced with the NPC market.

Actually, with this you won't need an NPC market at all. It won't inflate the economy because it determines the economy, as whatever reward equation you make will include a constant that is multiplied by distance to equal money output (maybe decrease the amount of money you can get from them as time goes on due to the player influence expanding). As long as the items transported are worth nothing, it won't be exploited. However, it may not match with the lore as it is supposed to be a player run economy, and the mission terminals suggest another group is at play (the ship AI?)

Job boards are planned to be in the game.

As far as I know they will work pretty much like whats in the OP.

That may be so, but the thing that needs to be there are NPC jobs on those boards that do not require you to take anything away from the economy (like selling iron), otherwise they would just be streamlining the player interaction (which is good, but it does not solve the biggest problem with the economy, which is starting it). My current understanding is that all the jobs on the board (that the devs have said) are player driven, so the reward is payed for by a player.

My main point is we need a direct time -> money method, otherwise the economy will collapse/not grow.

Job boards are like player generated quests. It doesnt need npc's.

To jump start the economy they plan to add bots on the market with buy and sell orders.

Doesnt that do what you want?

Unless I dont understand what you mean.

Excerpt from a video script I am writing that explains the problem much better :

"...the economy can't be entirely kickstarted off of this one thing. By doing so, you create an economy that will inflate like mad or at least be very unstable. Why?, because when it is more profitable to sell to NPCs, everyone will sell to them. That creates a shortage of supplies for the higher tiers of items as they are not going to the economy, they are disappearing into the void. This drives the amount of money in the economy up, but it also drives prices up due to shortages in resources. At some point later, selling to NPCs will no longer be the best deal for anyone, so the amount of money in the economy stops increasing. It just becomes a downward spiral, repeating again and again."

In addition, the influx of cash will only happen at the arkship, so everywhere else becomes a backwater due to it being unprofitable to stay there when you can stay at the arkship and sell everything there. It is a pulling factor that is at spawn. As for the buying things from the bots, well done, you have made non-renewable resources renewable. If you only get the bots to sell what they buy, well done again, you have just created a middleman that drains money from the economy (buy price has to be bigger than sell price) instead of a way to add money into it.

P.S. I apologise if that sounded rude or uncalled for

1) No, the Devs want a stable economy. that's not inflatory. The game is about a player-driven economy, not farming quests for NPC guilds and corporations. The devs plan for market bots in the beginning, so they can introduce money into the game's economy, but they will remve them after that. A system where the game produces magically money, is not a realistic economy. and promotes Chinese Gold Farmers, let alone, make the DAC system worthless. NQ can't outrice the chinese, NOBODY can.

2) Watch the Kickstarter video, or in general, look up the DevBlogs. What you want is answered on how the economy will work DevBlog and the Rights & Duties Management System (RDMS) Devblog.

3) Join us on this community's Discord, we answer questions for all newcomers to the game in real time. Just ask in the General chat and someone will provide you a link to things.

https://discord.gg/5SWPkDm

Players wont know wich buy or sell order is a bot. I'm sure some kind of algorithm will make sure bot prices arent fixed. JC is a phd in robotics and artificial intelligence so I think on that aspect it will work out.

Non ark ship markets will also be populated by bots, the exact parameters behind that arent known at this time.

There is talk of removing the bots at some point. How that will work out I dont know.

Personally I think the solution will be some kind of hybrid between introducing fresh currency and regulating the currency in circulation.

How exactly I dont know because I dont know enough about economics beyond basic systems.

Players wont know wich buy or sell order is a bot. I'm sure some kind of algorithm will make sure bot prices arent fixed. JC is a phd in robotics and artificial intelligence so I think on that aspect it will work out.

Non ark ship markets will also be populated by bots, the exact parameters behind that arent known at this time.

There is talk of removing the bots at some point. How that will work out I dont know.

Personally I think the solution will be some kind of hybrid between introducing fresh currency and regulating the currency in circulation.

How exactly I dont know because I dont know enough about economics beyond basic systems.

They said it on the KS video and on interviews, the bots will be there until a certain amount of money is in circulation.

Beyond that, the starting area is the place for the newcomers and will have a market unit in it. Later on, people woh want Iron or Wood, can issue buy and sell orders via their own market for the new players.

A non-fluctuating currency in-game, affects prices on markets across the whole game. A market owned by a poor faction, will sell low, because they have to compete. A rich market, that has a certain protection granted to its traders, will tax more for its services, because you can't go to Switzerland and expect a certain interest by the bnak. :P

And the Bots don't matter if they are on the starting zone, or other planets ( at the beginning ). The Devs made their choice on removing them and have a market driven by the players. They will be there to ignite that good old capitalistic engine, not operate it forever.

Inflation in WoW was a bad thing, especially when you could run 25 daily quests. Prices became astronomical after a point.

If the Devs see that for X, Y, Z reason money are missing from the circulation because players may deleted their accounts for any given reason, they can reintroduce the money via the bots. It's a win-win system.

NOw, you may ask "what if some psychopathic Twerkmotor gathers all the money, what then?"

Then I am the richest man in the game :| 

I am the top dawg. I can bury a person under a constant barrage of bounties reaching billions.

Which is a good idea, because politics. :D

I think that, once the economy gets going, then it will be natural for people or organizations to ask for individual contractors or other organizations to gather/obtain certain things from certain places, effectively setting up a "mission" :)

They said it on the KS video and on interviews, the bots will be there until a certain amount of money is in circulation.

Politics, LOL.

But yes thats why I'm not sure how it will work out. IF the amount of currency is fixed how do you prevent a situation where the price of an item is below 1 credit?

If I want to buy a bread but a bread is worth much less than 1 credit, then what? Fall back on barter? Buy in bulk?

I like the spirit of the idea but I just dont have enough information to understand it I think.

Politics, LOL.

But yes thats why I'm not sure how it will work out. IF the amount of currency is fixed how do you prevent a situation where the price of an item is below 1 credit?

If I want to buy a bread but a bread is worth much less than 1 credit, then what? Fall back on barter? Buy in bulk?

I like the spirit of the idea but I just dont have enough information to understand it I think.

It's not a percentual currency. There are no Cents. You buy bulk, or contact the person selling it yourself and ask them to barter for the number of things you want.

It's nto rocket science. :P 

And yes, Bartering is a thing. Exchange X amount of Y material for Z amount of E material.

:P

So it seems I did get it, yeey for me.

And I can imagine at some point some ore will double as barter currency.

Its still better then hyper inflation like in other MMO's.

WoW circa 2008. Elixirs cost 100 G a piece.

WoW circa 2015. Elixirs cost 500 G a piece.

I would argue that's very a good sign as of why the currency has to not be inflatory :P

Also, Smugglers get the role of going into a faction because they sell Cheap X material and sell it to the opposing faction who needs it for Y price and make a huge profit. That's actually how smuggling works.

Not to be grim, but cocaine prices in South America are not the same as in North America. Just saying >.>

While outlawing of things won't be a thing probably, smuggling will be as of the aforementioned situation.