PurpleAnt

Hey, so I was wondering, what if I get out of my ship, and go take a walk? Can someone just come, jump in my ship, and take off? It would be pretty annoying but it would also be cool to be able to hijack a ship if say, you sneak into an enemy base and need to escape(or something equaly cool). So I play GMod RP servers, and one thing they do is have the ability to lock your car. If you forget to lock your car, then anyone can take it(which is rare because everyone locks their car). I had an idea for DU, since there's so many people that may be able to jump into your ship the split second you get out, why not have a button that allows you to lock your ship while inside it, so it would already be locked the second you step outside. To make the feature balanced so that people might not want to lock their ship is that it would take 5-10 seconds more to get back inside your ship if it's locked. So if you have a fleet of ships that you may need to launch a counter attack at a moment's notice, those 5-10 seconds will really matter, and therefore, you may decide to not lock your ship because you have defences all around the base, it's not like anyone outside of the organisation could take it anyways. But, if you decide to attack the base, and your ship goes down, how will you get out? Well, there's a fleet of ships in the next room. So you run there, hijack an enemy ship, and escape. It would just add so many possibilities for war, while not changing much for the more peaceful side of the game, like life in an urban area, as no one would leave their vehicle unlocked. That's just my opinion on adding a small feature to the game, that could have a big effect. What do you guys think?

Edit:

I don't think some of you guys got what the point of this thread is, and maybe that's my fault for not being specific. So here I'm going to be more specific about what I want. So I do actually want hijacking to be a thing in this game. I just don't want it to be as easy as jumping into a cockpit and flying away. And like I've said before mrjackobean came up with a system that I think is very nice.

mrjacobean, on 20 Oct 2016 - 09:33 AM, said:snapback.png

I would say that all ships are locked for those who do not have permission, but people can use a skill (like hacking) to open it without permission. The larger/more complicated the construct, the longer it takes, with higher skill levels decreasing the time taken. Also might require a special tool so you have to use it constantly, meaning your back is not covered when, say, the owner gets back. Maybe have some things be impossible to hack until you have a high enough skill level. Or a disposable hacking module that you place on the ship to hack it for you, but using your skill level (or the skill level of the one who made it).

So while I do want hijacking in the game, I want it to be somewhat difficult and require a bit of a high skill in hacking. I don't want it to be impossible or semi-impossible to hijack a ship. And obviously hacking would take time. So you wouldn't go into a city and go hijack a ship, because people would see you and probably call someone or hit you(I'm thinking that if you get hit while hacking, even if it does 0 damage, you'll have to completely restart the process. But yea, I didn't want there to be any passwords, motion sensors, or anything that you can't see yourself cracking within a couple minutes.

CaptainTwerkmotor, on 20 Oct 2016 - 09:55 AM, said:snapback.png

Lua script the doors to recognise a keypress combination input as you interact with the door and then have it lead to a password screen for a second password.

Furthermore, add a tree layers of doors, so people have to go through three sets of locks to get in.

I would suggest even scripting the doors to open only for you, but it's a dare if people sneak up on you the moment the doors open. ut still, use password authentication :|

On the other hand, I do want it to be somewhat difficult to a beginner player. And even take time to do for an elite player. I want it to be balanced between being able to hijack, and not being able to hijack/being able to stop a hijack. Can you see yourself guessing the password to even 1 door? No, and also, it would get really annoying to get in and out of your ship. Entering 3 passwords every time.

Astrophil, on 20 Oct 2016 - 8:19 PM, said:snapback.png

That'll be a real joy when you find yourself needing to flee from spooky scary marauders.  :P

"Oh wait a minute, pause. Let me enter my six passwords first before you continue chasing me."

Also by the way, I was talking about cockpits in this thread but I think we should address doors that would be on a ship. I think it would have the same properties as a cockpit. You hack it. It jams open. Then this creates a reason to use turrets and other defences. Basically, I want hijacking to be accessible, but not easy.

I would say that all ships are locked for those who do not have permission, but people can use a skill (like hacking) to open it without permission. The larger/more complicated the construct, the longer it takes, with higher skill levels decreasing the time taken. Also might require a special tool so you have to use it constantly, meaning your back is not covered when, say, the owner gets back. Maybe have some things be impossible to hack until you have a high enough skill level. Or a disposable hacking module that you place on the ship to hack it for you, but using your skill level (or the skill level of the one who made it).

Lua script the doors to recognise a keypress combination input as you interact with the door and then have it lead to a password screen for a second password.

Furthermore, add a three layers of doors, so people have to go through three sets of locks to get in.

I would suggest even scripting the doors to open only for you, but it's a dare if people sneak up on you the moment the doors open. ut still, use password authentication :|

I think that's a better idea, I like it. This should really get put in the game. I think this post is pretty much the answer to "captured ships and selfdestruct" found here: https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/10313-captured-ships-and-selfdestruct/page-2#entry37852 . It at least solves the capturing of ships part.

I think that's a better idea, I like it. This should really get put in the game. I think this post is pretty much the answer to "captured ships and selfdestruct" found here: https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/10313-captured-ships-and-selfdestruct/page-2#entry37852 . It at least solves the capturing of ships part.

How is locking a ship, the same as a ship that doesn't belong to you having its core overloaded? Anyone with any brain, would simply cut power to the whole ship and pump the core full faster.

How will you open the doors if they have no power? Oh yeah, you won't be able to do so. Tough luck.

Furthermore, add a tree layers of doors, so people have to go through three sets of locks to get in.

That'll be a real joy when you find yourself needing to flee from spooky scary marauders.  :P

"Oh wait a minute, pause. Let me enter my six passwords first before you continue chasing me."

LifeAlert will become a thing?!

It would be a somewhat funny to see people attach hidden explosions to the ship, that upon turning it on will blow everything up.  Like in da moviez!

This would all be done with the rights and management system. As the owner of a construct, you own all permissions on it by default. This means that there is no need to actually go ahead and lock your ship.

I mean, if you really wanted to make sure it was secure though, you could just have to type in a password and press enter before it would start. You could program that using a LUA Script for sure.

This would all be done with the rights and management system. As the owner of a construct, you own all permissions on it by default. This means that there is no need to actually go ahead and lock your ship.

I mean, if you really wanted to make sure it was secure though, you could just have to type in a password and press enter before it would start. You could program that using a LUA Script for sure.

Huh...

It could really just be that simple.  Leave it someplace within your org's TU and done.  If a battle/war happens I'm going to assume anything is far game tho and it may be possible constructs and ships alike can be destroyed. 

This is still the best idea :P

Nah, it can be rigged to open all three doors at once when you open the first door Asterobaby :D

You can always rig it open when it recognises you interacting with it. :|

Or you can have a passive and active recognition system. You "lock" the ship, it needs password to open. You leave teh ship unlocked, the doors will open when it detects you in front of them.

Simple.

I don't think some of you guys got what the point of this thread is, and maybe that's my fault for not being specific. So here I'm going to be more specific about what I want. So I do actually want hijacking to be a thing in this game. I just don't want it to be as easy as jumping into a cockpit and flying away. And like I've said before mrjackobean came up with a system that I think is very nice.

So while I do want hijacking in the game, I want it to be somewhat difficult and require a bit of a high skill in hacking. I don't want it to be impossible or semi-impossible to hijack a ship. And obviously hacking would take time. So you wouldn't go into a city and go hijack a ship, because people would see you and probably call someone or hit you(I'm thinking that if you get hit while hacking, even if it does 0 damage, you'll have to completely restart the process. But yea, I didn't want there to be any passwords, motion sensors, or anything that you can't see yourself cracking within a couple minutes.

On the other hand, I do want it to be somewhat difficult to a beginner player. And even take time to do for an elite player. I want it to be balanced between being able to hijack, and not being able to hijack/being able to stop a hijack. Can you see yourself guessing the password to even 1 door? No, and also, it would get really annoying to get in and out of your ship. Entering 3 passwords every time.

Also by the way, I was talking about cockpits in this thread but I think we should address doors that would be on a ship. I think it would have the same properties as a cockpit. You hack it. It jams open. Then this creates a reason to use turrets and other defences. Basically, I want hijacking to be accessible, but not easy.

PurpleAnt The RDMS system will prevent anyone not authorized to interact with your constructs. That should solve your locking issue.

Hacking is intended to be in the game to steal constructs. Nothing in the game is intended to be about instant gratification so I imagine being able to succesfully hack will require some type of commitment from the player.

So I think you have nothing to worry about. ;)

PurpleAnt The RDMS system will prevent anyone not authorized to interact with your constructs. That should solve your locking issue.

Hacking is intended to be in the game to steal constructs. Nothing in the game is intended to be about instant gratification so I imagine being able to succesfully hack will require some type of commitment from the player.

Thanks! :D This is exactly what I created to thread to know/talk about.

On the other hand, I do want it to be somewhat difficult to a beginner player. And even take time to do for an elite player. I want it to be balanced between being able to hijack, and not being able to hijack/being able to stop a hijack. Can you see yourself guessing the password to even 1 door? No, and also, it would get really annoying to get in and out of your ship. Entering 3 passwords every time..

It won't be 3 passwords. It will be three layers of doors. You enter a code to open the first == true , then the doors open.

If a person tries to hack the door open or tries to blow it up, they will have 2 more doors slowing them down.

It's a real simple thing to do :| And as I replied to Astrocat, the system can be adjusted for two different types of the doors opening. One passive, where they open if they detect you, and an active, where they open if you enter a password.

One is for parking the ship in stations, where security is present and you can lock the ship and come back later, so if someone tries to hack, people handled with the security will notice that and the second one is for going into planets, where wild natives may live and you need a quick escape.

What you seem to ask for, is SHIPS BEING IMMUNE WHEN YOU ARE OFFLINE.

That won't happen. You have the option of powering a Protection Bubble as a first layer of defense (power varying depending on the Power Core(s) fuelling the Bubble itself ).

After that, you better got a security system installed like I mentioned, or even a more clever one, involving mines that detonate if a person is not RDMS'd for being near them.

I mean, I don't care, I will do it, heck, I will make death traps of ships, paint them in Gold and watch from afar via binoculars as scrubs get murdered by a collection of mines going off as they reach the bridge of the ship.

As for cockpits, it's the same deal. A person may enter the cockpit, but they have to :

1) be the owner for the ship to even power up.

2) PAssword involved.

3) Security Question (optional).

All these, can be isolated in 3 different DPUs so the hacker has more difficulties hijacking the ship.

You on the other hand, have a ship that powers up he moment you are in the pilot's ship.

If a friend of yours wants to take it for a ride, they need the password and question.

Heck, make the question mandatory for the ship's weapons systems to work if the owner is not on-board. Troll the hijacker as he can't fight the Po-Po coming after them. :P

If you don't have friends, you are covered :P If you can't trust your friends... well... that's your problem :|

As for cockpits, it's the same deal. A person may enter the cockpit, but they have to :

1) be the owner for the ship to even power up.

2) PAssword involved.

3) Security Question (optional).

That's not what Falstaf said. I think that's just what you want to happen, not what's actually going to be implemented in the game  :P

It won't be 3 passwords. It will be three layers of doors. You enter a code to open the first == true , then the doors open.

If a person tries to hack the door open or tries to blow it up, they will have 2 more doors slowing them down.

And that's actually a good idea ^

Well, not exactly. As the Devs said in the Kickstarter video, "The RDMS will NOT be easy to break".

Notice, it won't be EASY to break. Just because you got a password doesn't mean a hacker won't be able to hack through it.

Grand Theft Space is real. Lock your ships add mines below the pilot's seat on the bridge, etcetera.

If they try to steal things from you, they will pay a price.

And if you think, "But Twerk, they may hijack the Core Unit, won't that deactive the mines?"

Guess what, Core Units come in 1 voxel size for a reason. Just because they hacked the Core Unit, doesn't mean they hacked ALL the Core Units on the ship. ;)

Build your ships' modularly. Be smart, have mines for failsafes.

That's not what Falstaf said. I think that's just what you want to happen, not what's actually going to be implemented in the game  :P

Falstaf is not the Devs though. RDMS is not hacker-proof. It can be bypassed, it's just not an easy process.

And Lua scripts can be used to have Passwords, or more accurately, keypress inputs.

And yes, it's a good idea to have multiple doors, but it's not the best idea. The best idea would be to add explosives in key places and narrow corridors in a ship. If someone tries to pass through that's not authorised to be on your ship, they die.

That's what will make or break a builder's fame. Building smart goes farther than just "cool looking ships".

Build ships with multiple Core Units, small and big. If they hack they obvious one, the rest will be their demise.

Well, not exactly. As the Devs said in the Kickstarter video, "The RDMS will NOT be easy to break".

Twerk buddy...

The RDMS deals with permissions to bypass it you need to hack.

We are both saying the same thing. :)

Notice, it won't be EASY to break. Just because you got a password doesn't mean a hacker won't be able to hack through it.

Grand Theft Space is real. Lock your ships add mines below the pilot's seat on the bridge, etcetera.

If they try to steal things from you, they will pay a price.

And if you think, "But Twerk, they may hijack the Core Unit, won't that deactive the mines?"

Guess what, Core Units come in 1 voxel size for a reason. Just because they hacked the Core Unit, doesn't mean they hacked ALL the Core Units on the ship. ;)

Build your ships' modularly. Be smart, have mines for failsafes.

Now you're starting to give valid arguments ;)