captured ships and selfdestruct

borzol

What I'm saying is, rather than spending a bunch of time making an overly complex self destruct system... why not spend some time developing actual components that can create actual constructs that act as mines and other traps?

Weak Arguement 102

"I can't understand how to press one button and enter a code to initiate self-destruct, thus it should be omitted from the game"

=Translation=

"Oh god, oh god, OH GOD, I will not be able to be a scrubby pirate and I need to make this feature go away, quickly brain, weakest excuse possible!"

No buddy, no. Mines are ordnance and it will be in the game regardless, a power core overloading is a feature of the power core. 

Come up with stronger arguements than "I w4ntz to ste4lz shipz but I sux at thinking how to d0 itz".

Also, you don't seem to understand that builders will figure out ways of rigging their ships to self-destruct  if hacking of any kind is detected, to protect their Lua scripts from being stolen, right? Those Mines you speak of, could be used as a chain reaction, hidden underneat the ship's power corel in case the client that bought the blueprint tries to do something shadey.

Oh yeah, you know get it, don't you? The Power Core overloading is NEEDED for builders who make military spaceship t obe able to have Dead Man's Switches. "Captain died on board the ship? Executive Officer died as well on board the ship? Navigator dead and First Engineer dead? Time for some core overloading and sealing of 5 layers of secured doors leading into the Power Core chamber."

The Devs won't allow for the skilled builders to have their ships' to be bought on a one-use blueprint and then be reverse engineerded. The smart ones will have failsafes in place (I know I will have mine for my ships). So, deal with it. Think of Core Overloads as the world's best Copyright protection.

I think my post solves the capturing of ships. https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/10315-locking-your-ship/ But I think self destruct would get overused and may even be used as a weapon.

Why not? :V

You guys are pathetic, you cry "woaaaah woaahh, pirates, woaaaaah" but when a mechanism that can be used against them pops up you show your true colors of "I want to be a pirate, but I don't want bigger and meaner  pirates to exist".

Pathetic. Really pathetic.

You and your Universal Defense Force better not have echoechambers for heads, cause no pirate is going down without taking you with them.

Lol, you're funny.  I will give you that.

You're one of those people who take snippets of a conversation and target that singular facet.  

If you don't realize that having self destruct pre-loaded onto every single construct is broken, I am glad you aren't the head of development here. 

The more time they waste on making a complex self destruct system, the less time they spend on actual important aspects of the game.  If you don't realize this, I'm glad you're not the head of development.

The more I read your posts, the more I see someone who refuses to see how things impact the bigger picture.

"I'm right, everyone else is wrong!  Because!"

As an aside:
You constantly call me a pirate, yet I don't have plans to become a pirate?  Since when did you rule my life?

As another aside:

Your point is instantly nullified the minute you start insulting people... which everyone who has a disagreeing viewpoint from you seems to receive that treatment.

You're one of those people who take snippets of a conversation and target that singular facet.  

If you don't realize that having self destruct pre-loaded onto every single construct is broken, I am glad you aren't the head of development here. 

The more time they waste on making a complex self destruct system, the less time they spend on actual important aspects of the game.  If you don't realize this, I'm glad you're not the head of development.

The more I read your posts, the more I see someone who refuses to see how things impact the bigger picture.

As an aside:

You constantly call me a pirate, yet I don't have plans to become a pirate?  Since when did you rule my life?

As another aside:

Your point is instantly nullified the minute you start insulting people... which everyone who has a disagreeing viewpoint from you seems to receive that treatment.

It isn't even his final form.

Welcome to the community.

Gentlemen, lets try to stay civil shall we? :)

There is a lot to consider on both sides of the issue, with pros and cons both ways. There is no such thing as a one-sided coin. ;)

Regardless of whether we agree on if it is a good idea, it sounds as though the developers have said self-destructs will be possible. So now the only question is how they will be implemented to avoid overuse.

Gentlemen, lets try to stay civil shall we? :)

There is a lot to consider on both sides of the issue, with pros and cons both ways. There is no such thing as a one-sided coin. ;)

Regardless of whether we agree on if it is a good idea, it sounds as though the developers have said self-destructs will be possible. So now the only question is how they will be implemented to avoid overuse.

No disrespect was meant :P

I think the majority of people have this realization.  I am personally of the opinion that they should just have some type of component that can be placed on a construct that enables self-destruct.  Of course, there should be a cost associated with self destruction.  Such as destroying the saved blueprint, or something.  Simply losing the ship isn't enough, considering more than likely that was going to happen anyways.  Or maybe it should alter the blueprints, randomly.  Forcing you to repair the changes done to the blueprint.

The destruction brought out by self destruction should be purely based on the size of the core.  Nothing more, nothing less... easy to implement into the game.

Edit:

It just occurred to me, at some point there are going to be jump/warp gates implemented into the game right?  So what if having a self destruction system implemented on a construct would mean you cannot have a jump drive of any sort.

As an aside:

As another aside:

Hey, welcome to this brave new world.

I was replying to PurpleAnt. You are not PurpleAnt. 

You took my comment to PurpleAnt as an attack towards you, that makes you thrice the hypocrite. 

And yes, you are so much on the hit-list. Your ships are going to be prioritised. I will personally make sure to overload your power cores. :)

The Dev team made the decision, they did said so on the AMA. :) Deal with it.

And the game is not meant to be simple :D JC said on so on the DM21 interview :D

Also, if a power core is set to overload, the ship loses acceleration, because logic.

It's not complex. You are just a scared fella who knows he wants to be a pirate and doesn't want risk involved.

Get a grip lad, you are not cut for the business.

And also, since when truth became "insult" ? You are a guy who wants piracy to be easy, and the guy who runs the go-to priate group WANTS core overloads to be a thing. 

So, since you made it personal cheeky fella, you are :

1) A wannabe pirate

2) A poser wannabe pirate

3) A scared poser wannabe pirate

4) A poor in arguements fella, scared poser wannabe pirate.

The Core Overload mechanism is very very simple. It ties to many other aspects of the game if implemented, from mines to ground combat. The Devs will implement it. And you will have to accept that. 

Now cheer up and park your ships in a safezone, cause Cthulu knows what kind of trolls out there may find your ship and blow it up to pieces when you're offline. We won't even fire a shot, we'll just overload your power cores. 

Cheers! :D

"I was replying to PurpleAnt. You are not PurpleAnt. "

Wrong once again, you clearly quoted me ^^

"=Translation=

"Oh god, oh god, OH GOD, I will not be able to be a scrubby pirate and I need to make this feature go away, quickly brain, weakest excuse possible!""

It's all good though, I was taking you seriously at first... but it seems like you can only come up with incoherent posts that have nothing to do with what you're quoting.

I don't get your point here.

You guys are pathetic, you cry "woaaaah woaahh, pirates, woaaaaah" but when a mechanism that can be used against them pops up you show your true colors of "I want to be a pirate, but I don't want bigger and meaner pirates to exist".

Pathetic. Really pathetic.

You and your Universal Defense Force better not have echoechambers for heads, cause no pirate is going down without taking you with them.

#1 I'm not a pirate. #2 When I said "it could be used as a weapon, I meant people flying up next to you in a super cheap ship and just blowing up. I do agree with GrimReaper though.

"You're one of those people who take snippets of a conversation and target that singular facet.

The more time they waste on making a complex self destruct system, the less time they spend on actual important aspects of the game. If you don't realize this, I'm glad you're not the head of development.

"I'm right, everyone else is wrong! Because!"

As an aside:

You constantly call me a pirate, yet I don't have plans to become a pirate? Since when did you rule my life?

As another aside:

Your point is instantly nullified the minute you start insulting people... which everyone who has a disagreeing viewpoint from you seems to receive that treatment."

I don't get your point here.

#1 I'm not a pirate. #2 When I said "it could be used as a weapon, I meant people flying up next to you in a super cheap ship and just blowing up. I do agree with GrimReaper though.

"You're one of those people who take snippets of a conversation and target that singular facet.

The more time they waste on making a complex self destruct system, the less time they spend on actual important aspects of the game. If you don't realize this, I'm glad you're not the head of development.

"I'm right, everyone else is wrong! Because!"

As an aside:

You constantly call me a pirate, yet I don't have plans to become a pirate? Since when did you rule my life?

As another aside:

Your point is instantly nullified the minute you start insulting people... which everyone who has a disagreeing viewpoint from you seems to receive that treatment."

Let's see this in a logical sense.

Power Core = provides acceleration to the ship, as well as powering weaponry, shields, etc.

When you overload a power core, you isolate its output, with the intend to... well, make it explode. If someone was to initiate a self destruct sequence, by default, they have to load fuel into the power core until it goes boom, thus, they have to isolate its output, thus not being able to maneuver or fight.

A power core overload, is the final defense a person can have so they can total their ships so they won't be hijacked, on top of being robbed (Loot drops just fine, according to the probablity of it, some of the items in the container of a ship drop, others are destroyed).

I know your intends, you fool noone here. You don't want self-destruct because you want to steal ships "lel, easen" style. That won't happen :) 

The same core overload mechanic will exist in the game because of ground warfare. Take over a power plant, blow it up so you can power off a protection bubble :) And chances are, the greater the output of a reactor and its capacity, the bigger the boom, so yeah, if someone can manage to sneak in a city, have the schematics and materials with them (which would be expensive to build such a power core that can do an enormous blast), they could essentially build a timed bomb and then they can stand there and guard it until it goes boom. You know, Counter-Strike style. If people can do these things, a lot of gameplays evolve out of them. Suddenly guards are an actual thing organisations pay people for and people go into as a gameplay. Smaller organisations join larger factions for protection and so on and so forth.

That's called Emergent Gameplay. Now you know.  And if you try to say "you won't be able to build in another person's territory" , watch the KS video, when they speak of the RDMS in territories, "the RDMS won't be easy to break". I say challenge accepted. Emergent Controlled Demolitions For Hire  Gameplay is Emergent.

Your Universal Defense Force is actually oozing entitlement and ego and I do get why you would want ships to not have self-destruct, cause you plan on ganging up on people and stealing their ships. :) Good luck with that and learn to use EMP weaponry :)

"I was replying to PurpleAnt. You are not PurpleAnt. "

Wrong once again, you clearly quoted me ^^

"=Translation=

"Oh god, oh god, OH GOD, I will not be able to be a scrubby pirate and I need to make this feature go away, quickly brain, weakest excuse possible!""

It's all good though, I was taking you seriously at first... but it seems like you can only come up with incoherent posts that have nothing to do with what you're quoting.

Oh, you were the one I replied earlier? Dayum, I guess you didn't even register to me then, that's how not impressive your arguements are :| Oh well...

I do get why you would want ships to not have self-destruct, cause you plan on ganging up on people and stealing their ships.

Why are you making everyone out to be a pirate? You do understand that some people actually want to help other people and we aren't all out to destroy the universe. The UDF is an organisation that's meant to protect people(as long as they pay us ;)), not steal their stuff.

Why are you making everyone out to be a pirate? You do understand that some people actually want to help other people and we aren't all out to destroy the universe. The UDF is an organisation that's meant to protect people(as long as they pay us ;)), not steal their stuff.

I am a firm believer of the Second Ammendement. I got no problem using my power core to take out chumps who want to mess with me.

You ain't no pirate ey? I guess being part of the CSYN though, makes you a pirate. They promote piracy. :)

Also, what you describe the UDF as? That's called the Mafia. So yeah, you wannabe mobsters will be the first to get the shaft :)

You won't last long out there in the cold nothingness of the vacuum of space :)

I am a firm believer of the Second Ammendement. I got no problem using my power core to take out chumps who want to mess with me.

You ain't no pirate ey? I guess being part of the CSYN though, makes you a pirate. They promote piracy. :)

Also, what you describe the UDF as? That's called the Mafia. So yeah, you wannabe mobsters will be the first to get the shaft :)

You won't last long out there in the cold nothingness of the vacuum of space :)

Ok, I'm done defending myself, you obviously can't understand that not everyone is a pirate out to get you. Also, the CSYN does not support piracy, they just make deals with pirates to leave CSYN alone. The CSYN pretty much controls the universe at this point :P So by saying that the CSYN supports piracy, you're saying that pretty much all the big organizations support piracy. And lastly, I'm not describing the UDF as the Mafia, I'm describing them as a security service, you pay us, we protect what you want us to protect.

Guys, I think we have gotten a bit off topic...the reasons behind the logic that has been used is of little consequence if the logic is sound. :)

Wanna be a pirate, so you don't want self-destruct? Fine. As long as you bring more to the table than "that makes it hard".

Don't want to be a pirate and still against self-destruct? No problem, just explain why.

Intend to steal stuff, but like self-destruct? Give a good reason.

Wanna hunt pirates, and like self-destruct? Go for it, but have a better reason than "easy way to kill 'em".

I believe most of the posters here fall into one of these categories, and they all have made valid arguments for their position. Whether they admit their real reason for holding the position they do is not the point, the point is that their arguments make sense! (And I am not suggesting anyone is hiding their real reason.)

So...could we focus a bit more on the ideas behind the self-destruct apparatus, instead of each others opinion differences please? :)

I'm fine with the idea of a self destruct option, we just have to find a way to make it impossible to overuse. So maybe you need a modified core to be able to self destruct because in reality, cores would probably come with an anti-overload feature for safety. Also, you would need LOTS of power. So the only ships that would be able to self destruct would be big ships that have multiple generators and lots of power. Once a self destruct has started, there should be about 1-2 minutes before the actual explosion. During the self destruct sequence, the ship will have no oporations online, so no defenses, no shields(if those are going to be in the game) no nothing. There should also be a way to cancel the self destruct sequence if the player has a high level in hacking. This would also create new jobs for bomb squads. If you have all these features, I don't think it will be overused because it wouldn't just be some tiny little ship they're blowing up, it would be a big ship that they have spent time on. I think that would make people refrain from using the self destruct unless it's their only opinion. I really don't see a point in adding self destruct features to a tiny little ship. It's the big ones that would actually need it. And as I've said before, I think my post here(https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/10315-locking-your-ship/) solves the capturing part of this topic, go read what mrjacobean had to say about it, he had the best idea for it.

For the record, I support self destruct and am glad it is a feature being implemented. Even in the event I am attempting to capture a ship, if they decide to self destruct before I board, then so be it.

But there should be methods an attacker can also use to counter that reaction. Whether that be through EMP methods or what have you.

Let's say someone engages their self destruct protocol. Have that send out a 1 minute timer warning to everyone in the immediate area, and also bring the ship to a complete and sudden stop, powering down essentially. This makes the target vulnerable for a fast response by an attacker to board, and disable the self destruct through a very brief hacking mini game. I won't get in to specifics, but it's just an idea.

I'm on board for anything so long as there is a proper counter to each action. 

Wondering if self destruct destroys the whole ship or just the core/reactor/engines

Wondering if self destruct destroys the whole ship or just the core/reactor/engines

I'm thinking it would destroy the whole ship, and anything near it, or what's the point? That's also why it would require a lot of power like I said in my post above ^

i think:

1.) Self destruct may (or may not) kill all nearby players, firiendly and hostile.

Death is, must be, heavy and serious event.

If so, both sides need to consider risks of selfdestruct. This can be serious enough for both sides of the coin.

2.) Selfdestruct dont need to be "binary event". It can have all shades of grey. From simple sabotage, disabling ships componetns, to partial destruct, mabye jetting all fuel to space, etc. The big booom could be only one form of selfdesruction.