captured ships and selfdestruct

borzol

I would like to know if it will be possible to board the ship and remove the core and place your own and capture the ship. if yes will be enemy capable to make blueprint out of it? if those things will be possible there should be on option to selfdestruct your ship. Of course there should be a time limit for example 2 minutes to give enemy a chance to capture it.

I would like to know if it will be possible to board the ship and remove the core and place your own and capture the ship. if yes will be enemy capable to make blueprint out of it? if those things will be possible there should be on option to selfdestruct your ship. Of course there should be a time limit for example 2 minutes to give enemy a chance to capture it.

Scuttling a ship should be a thing indeed. I suggest Core Overloads, so we can take our enemies down with us in a massive boom.

And yes, the AMA part 2 (or 3) confirmed that you CAN self-destruct a ship.

Scuttling a ship should be a thing indeed. I suggest Core Overloads, so we can take our enemies down with us in a massive boom.

And yes, the AMA part 2 (or 3) confirmed that you CAN self-destruct a ship.

Then there will be a way to create guided missiles YAY. tought you have to time the explosion perfectly.

There'll probably be some kind of warning for the attacker or a way to disable the selfdestricting element. 

EM attacks. Shield your electronics in an EM attack resistant material so they won't fry with minal effort on the attacker's part.

Also, not much of an Element, but like, Power Core overloading or something.

Then there will be a way to create guided missiles YAY. tought you have to time the explosion perfectly.

Well, yeah, the Core Overload may need 10 seconds to happen, so you would have to drone fly a rocket, which would have to be built like a ship for a one way trip, have fuel in it, then, have the operator prime the detonation and send he missile near the area you want the explosion to take effect.

This sounds too expensive to be productive to be honest :|

It sounds like a cool idea but ... in terms of game play making it almost impossible to capture a ship which will be difficult anyway I don't think this would improve the fun of the game.

Get EMP weaponry. You won't be pampered by the Devs.

You want to reverse engineer the enemy faction's warships because your builders suck? Better come up with a good plan of purging that ship of any electronics, then hopefully, you will board it and won't be killed and then capture it, in a HOPEFULLY good condition to manage to reverse engineer it, because at the point you remove their core and place in yours, that ship will be like you build it broken, as the Core you destroyed was the one holding the information for the rapairs.

This won't be Grand Theft Spaceship. It won't be that easy. Scuttling a ship is an actual thing people do in war-times and no, no SMART organisation would ever sell their ships on the market, people would get to know where to aim for on the ship's armor and what its weaknesses are. The Devs should not make your amibitious plans easy.

Power Core Overloads = the way to go.

If you can't steal a ship, hire people who can. :) That's called Emergent Gameplay, in fact, that's what Pirates are for. Hire the best to hijack a ship of your enemy at a fine condition. Then copy the ship and start reproducing it :)

So yeah, ships will blow up if noobs don't know when to EMP them and the ships that can be taken over, will be bad quality ships, because of no effort put into building the ship with EM Weaponry in mind. 

Get EMP weaponry. You won't be pampered by the Devs.

You want to reverse engineer the enemy faction's warships because your builders suck? Better come up with a good plan of purging that ship of any electronics, then hopefully, you will board it and won't be killed and then capture it, in a HOPEFULLY good condition to manage to reverse engineer it, because at the point you remove their core and place in yours, that ship will be like you build it broken, as the Core you destroyed was the one holding the information for the rapairs.

This won't be Grand Theft Spaceship. It won't be that easy. Scuttling a ship is an actual thing people do in war-times and no, no SMART organisation would ever sell their ships on the market, people would get to know where to aim for on the ship's armor and what its weaknesses are. The Devs should not make your amibitious plans easy.

Power Core Overloads = the way to go.

If you can't steal a ship, hire people who can. :) That's called Emergent Gameplay, in fact, that's what Pirates are for. Hire the best to hijack a ship of your enemy at a fine condition. Then copy the ship and start reproducing it :)

So yeah, ships will blow up if noobs don't know when to EMP them and the ships that can be taken over, will be bad quality ships, because of no effort put into building the ship with EM Weaponry in mind. 

You can't steal a ship if there is an easy self destruct ... everyone will have it which would make stealing a ship impossible.  This is Grand Theft Spaceship/Space Station/ Planet Base/Hovercraft/Territory since JC has talked about taking over cores both in space and on planets. He has actually said that capturing a ship mechanic will probably be in game before ship v ship combat.

You are assuming game mechanics like EMP weapons in your post that don't exist yet or even have been discussed by JC/NQ  If you can EMP electronic systems that itself would be OP. He has discussed hacking but to hack you can't have a self destruct. You said so in your post it won't be easy to hack/take a ship over so why even add a mechanic like this.  You want to scuttle your ship so the enemy doesn't get it ...  then do it the old fashion way ... shoot it to bits.

If you have a game mechanic like this that in effect doesn't become a choice and a counter that then in effect doesn't become a choice then the mechanic becomes tedious.   If the end result always comes out the same .... BOOM .... then people won't even attempt to take over a ship.  There is nothing emergent about that.

You are assuming I would want to capture to reverse engineer.  I do want to have the choice to steal ships from those who are aggressive towards others.  I have in mind a trophy hanger and has nothing to do with building capabilities. If I captured it then why in the hell would I want to make a fleet of them since I already beat it with what I had.

I am talking in more general terms because we do not know the details of these things yet.  They have not been created or even decided.  You talk about very specific details which may end up just being only in your imagination at the end of the day. 

You can't steal a ship if there is an easy self destruct ... everyone will have it which would make stealing a ship impossible.  This is Grand Theft Spaceship/Space Station/ Planet Base/Hovercraft/Territory since JC has talked about taking over cores both in space and on planets. He has actually said that capturing a ship mechanic will probably be in game before ship v ship combat.

You are assuming game mechanics like EMP weapons in your post that don't exist yet or even have been discussed by JC/NQ  If you can EMP electronic systems that itself would be OP. He has discussed hacking but to hack you can't have a self destruct. You said so in your post it won't be easy to hack/take a ship over so why even add a mechanic like this.  You want to scuttle your ship so the enemy doesn't get it ...  then do it the old fashion way ... shoot it to bits.

If you have a game mechanic like this that in effect doesn't become a choice and a counter that then in effect doesn't become a choice then the mechanic becomes tedious.   If the end result always comes out the same .... BOOM .... then people won't even attempt to take over a ship.  There is nothing emergent about that.

You are assuming I would want to capture to reverse engineer.  I do want to have the choice to steal ships from those who are aggressive towards others.  I have in mind a trophy hanger and has nothing to do with building capabilities. If I captured it then why in the hell would I want to make a fleet of them since I already beat it with what I had.

I am talking in more general terms because we do not know the details of these things yet.  They have not been created or even decided.  You talk about very specific details which may end up just being only in your imagination at the end of the day. 

You do know there are materials you can put around your electronics to protect from EM weapons... right? And EM weapons will be in the game, like EMP bombs or missiles, that you need to take down the shield first for them to actually be effective. It's a no-brainer of a weapon. 

Different types of armor, for different types of weapons. IF you think building a good ship will be easy business, it won't be. The more diffucult a ship is to make engineering-wise, given all the materials and the tweaks in Lua, the harder it will be to be captured.

Emergent Gameplay? Be a sociopath, infiltrate a ship's crew, befriend them, then kill them and hijack the ship as it is, then reverse engineer it. The spy business is dark and full of terrors, too many terrors for your heart it seems. You want the easy way of things. You won't have it, as JC said in the DM21 interview : "if the Kickstarter didn't succeed, the investors would ask us to go F2P , that we'll have to go P2W, and tell us that things are too complicated, simplify simplify simplify, so, this will not happen thankfully and we are talking with the investors who want to fund us further as long as they agree on the game's vision ". And it won't be simple to steal a ship lad, it won't.

You confuse Emergent, with "easy". You'll need to double-think before trying to take over a ship. You'll need an actual tactic and method of doing so. You want a trophy hangar? Good luck with that, although it will be really impressive if you manage to neutralise all those crews on board all those ships. And because it will difficult to do so, everyone will say "Dayum, them Yin Yang lads are so hardcore, let's roll with them, they seem to know their stuff, they got like a hangar just for trophy ships they captured and dat thing is uber hardcore man".

So... good luck and don't let paranoia get in over your head :)

Pro Tip. : Always make sure you negotiate with the crew of the opposing ship. Buy time in negotiations while you charge up that EMP to fry their electronics and make sure to go for their propulsion first so they drift helplessly. Once you fry their electronics, go in, kill them, hack the Core and copy the ship's blueprint, then salvage it for materials you can carry with you, and rebuilt the craft in your hangar.

If your crew and you suck at Avatar vs Avatar and get killed, congrats, you were humiliated.

For the record, I support self destruct and am glad it is a feature being implemented. Even in the event I am attempting to capture a ship, if they decide to self destruct before I board, then so be it.

But there should be methods an attacker can also use to counter that reaction. Whether that be through EMP methods or what have you.

Let's say someone engages their self destruct protocol. Have that send out a 1 minute timer warning to everyone in the immediate area, and also bring the ship to a complete and sudden stop, powering down essentially. This makes the target vulnerable for a fast response by an attacker to board, and disable the self destruct through a very brief hacking mini game. I won't get in to specifics, but it's just an idea.

I'm on board for anything so long as there is a proper counter to each action. 

For the record, I support self destruct and am glad it is a feature being implemented. Even in the event I am attempting to capture a ship, if they decide to self destruct before I board, then so be it.

But there should be methods an attacker can also use to counter that reaction. Whether that be through EMP methods or what have you.

Let's say someone engages their self destruct protocol. Have that send out a 1 minute timer warning to everyone in the immediate area, and also bring the ship to a complete and sudden stop, powering down essentially. This makes the target vulnerable for a fast response by an attacker to board, and disable the self destruct through a very brief hacking mini game. I won't get in to specifics, but it's just an idea.

I'm on board for anything so long as there is a proper counter to each action. 

That's the spirit.

See guys? Even the Pirate King himself agrees on the Self-destruct thing :P

Although, I got to say, if a ship is going into a self-destruct, it's probaly stranded and unable to move to begin with. I mean... if someone begins to self-destruct just because they see your ship's name pop-up... let them do it. Free fireworks and a wreck to salvage :|

But in all seriousness, a timer set by the captain stands to reason, given the fact doors can be shut in the path of the Power Core, that would make sfor some clenching and adrenaline full gameplay. And hey, perhaps some guy out there may pull a bluff like that and scare pirates away, to whom we salute.

o7 

I think this option would work best:

Criteria:

You must be alive to destruct your ship.

What happens:

When you self destruct, your ship obviously incinerates... killing anyone on board including yourself.

Your saved blueprint/design for the ship is deleted.

End product:

1.) Everyone inside of the ship is dead.

2.) Your blueprint has been destroyed.

3.) You have to recreate the design based on memory alone.

No time limits, nothing so arbitrary and limiting.  Purely punishing behavior that can be employed based on whether or not it's "worth" it to the user, or not.

@GeimReaper

I agree, but 2.) may not work, because I can just buy a ship, without any bp.

Exactly.  :)

I think this option would work best:

Criteria:

You must be alive to destruct your ship.

What happens:

When you self destruct, your ship obviously incinerates... killing anyone on board including yourself.

Your saved blueprint/design for the ship is deleted.

End product:

1.) Everyone inside of the ship is dead.

2.) Your blueprint has been destroyed.

3.) You have to recreate the design based on memory alone.

No time limits, nothing so arbitrary and limiting.  Purely punishing behavior that can be employed based on whether or not it's "worth" it to the user, or not.

Why would the explosion be so specific? I say make the Power Core create a damage bubble with a radius and damage proportional to

1) fuel amount 

2) size of the Power Core

3) Level of Wattage the Power Core provides.

And the timer can be set, it's optional.

If I want to take my enemy with me, I should be able to do so. If my Power Core is my last weapon, I shall use it.

I would love to see a ship with a few Terawatts of power to overload its core and fry everything within a huge radius.

You may ask thats overpowered.

Terawatt is a lot of power. Free to use it as weaponry as its a LOT of power.

Exactly.  :)

Why would the explosion be so specific? I say make the Power Core create a damage bubble with a radius and damage proportional to

1) fuel amount 

If I want to take my enemy with me, I should be able to do so. If my Power Core is my last weapon, I shall use it.

hmm... this leads my mind into EMP

hmm... this leads my mind into EMP

As mentioned before, EMP is a good way to fry electronics on board a ship, maybe even stun the crew as a whole for a moment (cerbral implants after all :P ).

I guess builders will have to make ship hulls' with this in mind. One layer of it dedicated to shielding the ship from EMP., in case shields go down and you are left at the mercy of someone's sucker punch.

I would love to see a ship with a few Terawatts of power to overload its core and fry everything within a huge radius.

You may ask thats overpowered.

Terawatt is a lot of power. Free to use it as weaponry as its a LOT of power.

Exactly, although I doubt we will get to Terawatt reactors.... but multilple reactors together... that would be a really fearful condition to fight in and good meta-game will evolve from pilots creating manuals on "how to not get fragged by the enemy's Core Overloading".

Plus, all the tactics that will evolve from people leaving behind a ship on a retreat, only for the enemy fleet to be disintegrated as they fly past it :P

Exactly.   :)

1) fuel amount 

If they want to put the work into it, by all means...  Doesn't seem worth it IMHO, lots of work for not much payoff gameplay wise.  Besides, if you self destruct... it's pretty hard to bounce back from being spaced ;)

I imagine we will end up purely with a system that uses the size of the power core to determine destruction levels.

However, I vehemently defend the fact that self destruct should destroy any blueprints you have saved related to that ship ^^

As this is where the discussion is heading, what's to stop someone from just building a bunch of power cores and using them as "mines".  Shouldn't there be a specific weapon set to work as mines?  Why should we have to use derelict ships and unfinished ships for this emergent gameplay?

All of this development you guys are asking for should be directed towards an actual subset of weapons, mines and other sneaky traps.

As this is where the discussion is heading, what's to stop someone from just building a bunch of power cores and using them as "mines".  Shouldn't there be a specific weapon set to work as mines?

Perhaps they could make it so that you can only overload the power core if you have a physical link to it, like wires. No remote detonation. (Unless you strung wires across open space to your mines, of course. :) )

"But what about the whole optional countdown thing? You can leave the ship, hence, no physical link!" True, but you had to be ON the ship to START the countdown, and the timer DOES have a physical link.

Also, I think it would be awesome to see a huge ship go into overload! Maybe it starts to distort the space/objects around it due to the energy buildup, then a big flash, and a cloud of lightning/fire expanding rapidly into space, eventually dissipating as it loses energy!

It might not look anything like that, but I can always hope. :D

Perhaps they could make it so that you can only overload the power core if you have a physical link to it, like wires. No remote detonation. (Unless you strung wires across open space to your mines, of course. :) )

"But what about the whole optional countdown thing? You can leave the ship, hence, no physical link!" True, but you had to be ON the ship to START the countdown, and the timer DOES have a physical link.

Also, I think it would be awesome to see a huge ship go into overload! Maybe it starts to distort the space/objects around it due to the energy buildup, then a big flash, and a cloud of lightning/fire expanding rapidly into space, eventually dissipating as it loses energy!

It might not look anything like that, but I can always hope. :D

What I'm saying is, rather than spending a bunch of time making an overly complex self destruct system... why not spend some time developing actual components that can create actual constructs that act as mines and other traps?

I do not disagree though, I think everyone would like to see a big ship overload... and I'm sure we will!

I'm also of the personal opinion that there shouldn't be a timer... if you hit the big red button, it should blow up at that instant.  Incurring death on yourself, and whatever penalties that are involved in death.

What I'm saying is, rather than spending a bunch of time making an overly complex self destruct system... why not spend some time developing actual components that can create actual constructs that act as mines and other traps?

giphy.gif

This actually makes a lot of sense, why have a designated self destruct mechanism when it would impact the game so detrimentally. 

If you want to "self destruct" why not find a way to carry a bunch of explosives, that can act as a self destruct mechanism?  There would be a tradeoff of course... being that, if you a stray shot punctures the wrong case...

Or perhaps it could be possible to create a self destruct system, but it could be expensive in resources and time to create.  Such that, it's more hassle than it's worth to implement on any ol' constructs.  They would only be used for very important organizational assets that cannot fall into the wrong hands.

Furthermore, it would always be in place... there wouldn't be any confirmation before the system goes up in flame.  This implies, that if someone were able to hack past the safeguards and infiltrate an area rigged for self destruction... they could indeed cause some serious damages to a rival organization.

Basically, if you implement a self destruct system it would be possible for enemies to infiltrate and blow up the asset.  This would be done in a situation where the enemy organization could not feasibly steal the assets, but wants to cause as much harm as possible.

I see interesting uses for self destruct, as long as it's not wired into every construct that's around.

As an aside, this would also play into selling information in game.  If a corporation/organization solely deals in information gathering, and determining which assets have a self destruct mechanism in place... they would be able to sell this information to those who would use it for more nefarious reasons ;)

This is all assuming that there will be assets that are worth destroying over allowing them to get in the wrong hands.  If that isn't the case, there's really no need for a self destruct IMHO.  I almost imagine it would rarely be used on ships, I'm thinking important planetary installations and such.

Just ramblings and possibilities.  If there is one thing you take from this post, realize that we need to consider how implementations of various systems affect the game as a whole, not just how it impacts combat per se.  Err, maybe two things you should take from this post... We also need to realize that there needs to be cost/benefit analysis implementation done on many aspects of the game.  We can't simply put self destruct everywhere, because that would be game breaking. 

If they want to put the work into it, by all means...  Doesn't seem worth it IMHO, lots of work for not much payoff gameplay wise.  Besides, if you self destruct... it's pretty hard to bounce back from being spaced ;)

I imagine we will end up purely with a system that uses the size of the power core to determine destruction levels.

However, I vehemently defend the fact that self destruct should destroy any blueprints you have saved related to that ship ^^

As this is where the discussion is heading, what's to stop someone from just building a bunch of power cores and using them as "mines".  Shouldn't there be a specific weapon set to work as mines?  Why should we have to use derelict ships and unfinished ships for this emergent gameplay?

All of this development you guys are asking for should be directed towards an actual subset of weapons, mines and other sneaky traps.

Weak Arguement 101

"Too much work for so little pay-off from the Devs."

Why would an explosion destroy the blueprint? Make a flow-chart of logic - no, I DEMAND a flow-chart of your logic - of blueprints being destroyed. My blueprints are back home, my ship is here, now, exploding. What connects those two? NOTHING. If you mean "you can't repair a wreckage", I'm all with you.

Power Cores + Lua scripts = Overload mechanic.

Lua scripts = require you to be near the scripts' box.

Mines will be a totally different Element, although in space, there's no need for mines, because SPACE is very large.

Emergent Gameplay = being able to rig derelict ships with power-cores and launch said ship at full speed against the enemy's spaceport. Emergent Kamikaze Gameplay.

Not to mention, Power Cores blowing up, can be a proxy for collision damage, as a power core becomes "unstable" if two ships collide indirectly, and plain out blows up if they collide head on and their masses are exceeding a point or is equal to one another.

A starfighters blows up if it comes in contact with a battleship, but two battleships colliding = BOOM for both of them.

What prevents you or I from building a power core and overload it? Materials. And also, the OP asked for a self-destruct options, which the Devs already answered is going to happen. If that Core can somehow be used as weapon, so be it. I am not afraid of using my brain to capture a ship, it's you guys who can't think 10 minutes ahead of you that are asking for no self-destruct.

If my enemy wants to go kamikaze on me, they should be able to do so and so should I. And if they EMP my ship and board it, they better be serious about it :)

P.S. : I do hope you mean that a ship that wenth through self-destruct can't be repaired through the repair mechanics of the blueprint grid. Cause that would actually make sense.