Open mic night in universe

Aurenian

Here's a completely non core, absolutely cosmetic, late game patch idea.

Have an indestructable microphone element which is only placeable by the developers and which has its permissions regulated by someone nominated by them. 

It only gets placed in bars and other meeting places which are popular spots for players to mingle.

It's basically a sound block that plays your desk mic sound within that space, with less volume the further you are from the block. If you are in there the mic block will just be part of the background noise. If you want to hear the person speaking clearly then you just go up closer.

If you have the permission of the proprietor you can use their mic block. If you are a good entertainer they might arrange a contract with you to pay you in game money for your services.

A variant of this might be a mic block that any organisation leader can place in order to do briefings in-universe. In which case the aforementioned bar owner could just add people to an 'entertainer' sub branch of their organisation to give them access to the mic.

Have an indestructable microphone...

If they do that, they might as well implement distance-based VoIP for players and ships. But I have my reasons against having voice chat in an MMO.

The game is player driven, devs don't have time for that. At best, players will get destructible microphones, to place on their cities/claims, and do whatever they want with them.

Any type of microphone would be fantastic. Imagine giving a speech to a whole senate or attending an in-game concert. It would be a whole lot better than reading potentially disorganized and confusing text chats with large volumes of people.

I'm all for any voice chat ideas... And this one is particularly interesting, although I don't like 'indestructible' and 'placed by dev' part. Anyone have to be able to build their own stage, with speakers to cover larger area - of course for everyone who rather to keep their game filled with ambient sound, TS voices or own music there have to be easy 'mute everyone' around button (with countrol+button function of muting person you are currently aiming at). All against voice chat function would be happy along with everyone interested in endlessly emergent interaction with other people.

I don't get the block thing. The sound source could simply be the avatar who switches it on, moving with the avatar. But I have reservations against voice chat, even if it can be turned off to mute everyone. There may be situations where you are forced to turn it on not to miss something important, and then have to listen to all sorts of nonsense which is easier to bear as text chat, let alone dogs barking, car sounds and siren wailing from open windows, the significant other calling to lunch, etc.

Maybe that's a reason to do it as a block only organisation leaders can place. That way they can regulate who has access through permissions.

Also if it's a fixed block then you have the option to walk closer or further away depending on how much you want to listen.