Just joined - will this be 'the One'?

Dear all

Heard about this Dual Universe and it certainly sound very promising.

And congratulation on reaching its Kick starter milestone.

I am a designer, an architect and have designed, managed and built several airports in the world. What excites me is in D U, you may have the chance to build something and also to explore the universe. Coming from a background of SciFi lover, I grew up having been inspired by all these great movies/TVs such as Babylon 5, Star Trek , Stargate and Star Wars worlds. And also experienced the virtual world of gaming in Elite Frontier and Freelancer.

I've jump into Eve online hoping to experience these. Unfortunately, I have had good and bad experiences. It contained 'cliff-like' learning curve, 'big fish eat small fish' world of trying to survive in this sandbox universe, not a great place for newbie/explorer as you said. The concepts was great, but it has grown so huge.................

I'm worried D U is going to adopt the same 'players run universe'.

How will they address this in D U? When it grows larger and larger, we will see lawlessness, freeworld, privateers - see what's happening over in Eve now.

Perhaps I may be naive ...........I can only hope D U will be develop into something better for all of us explorers.

Yours truly

Thunder Han

I've jump into Eve online hoping to experience these. Unfortunately, I have had good and bad experiences. It contained 'cliff-like' learning curve, 'big fish eat small fish' world of trying to survive in this sandbox universe, not a great place for newbie/explorer as you said. The concepts was great, but it has grown so huge.................

I'm worried D U is going to adopt the same 'players run universe'.

How will they address this in D U? When it grows larger and larger, we will see lawlessness, freeworld, privateers - see what's happening over in Eve now.

Perhaps I may be naive ...........I can only hope D U will be develop into something better for all of us explorers.

Yours truly

Thunder Han

It will be player driven ... which is why you should join us to help insure your freedom to do what you want.

Creative people = diamonds in voxel games.

I hope you will enjoy this game ang bring lots of nice designs.

Find protectors, voxel games very agressive. Many want steal, many want destroy.

Good luck in your journey!

Thanks,

Archonious

Which airports have you built? I think it's really cool that a real architect is playing a game like this, where engineering and architecture will be the biggest things in the game. I recommend joining SilverLight Industries or the Objective Driveyards if you want to do some architecture and engineering. I'm not in any of those organisations, but those are the best ones to join if you want to design and build stuff. Objective Driveyards is better for designing and building ships. SilverLight is if you want to design and build structures, but I think they will be building ships too. The organisation I'm in is the Cinderfall Syndicate, and hey, if you want to be the main architect in an organisation go there ;) I'm joking though, you should join an organisation that's about building, build something great :D

Which airports have you built? I think it's really cool that a real architect is playing a game like this, where engineering and architecture will be the biggest things in the game. I recommend joining SilverLight Industries or the Objective Driveyards if you want to do some architecture and engineering. I'm not in any of those organisations, but those are the best ones to join if you want to design and build stuff. Objective Driveyards is better for designing and building ships. SilverLight is if you want to design and build structures, but I think they will be building ships too. The organisation I'm in is the Cinderfall Syndicate, and hey, if you want to be the main architect in an organisation go there ;) I'm joking though, you should join an organisation that's about building, build something great :D

Advice is good, or maybe not... don't know...

From my side, I would say, don't join anywhere if you have solid plan. Find players who has similar ideas. Organisations (right now) like politicians before voting. They speak, promise and plan. What will happens with them in release? Most members have joined just to be in any org. So will these players follow "political promises"? Time will show...

So join anywhere right now could be cool, but could be useless as well =) Find same mind players, it will be much better =)))

Thanks,

Archonious

Welcome to the community,  ThunderHan. 

There is going to be a long wait ahead, but so far the devs have not disappointed (on the contrary).

When it comes to actual players, so far the main movement has not been towards banditry and warmongering. Hopefully it will stay like that, but we will see.

There is a myriad of organisations already, so take your time thinking about joining some. Considering your message, I will recommend Alpha Academy. You might find their interests similar (= test everything, cooperate and help new players after release), and there is no restrictions about joining any other org.

In EVE, you are much more likely to get pirated because the only links between systems are jumpgates (disregarding wormholes) and you always know the location of stations. In DU however, you can manipulate 3d space to move around the pirates (don't head straight towards the target, go above the plain). With this, and that pirates are not going to be popular with shipyards, the probability of getting jumped or a place getting blockaded is very low. The thing you should look out for is large orgs (like TU) attempting to assert their influence as someone has to build those jumpgates you love to use, and they are very easy to blockade (just turn them off). This does not stop interstellar travel however, as you can ftl between systems, but it will take a few weeks to do so.

Glad to have you onboard. I dummy want to self promote to much. Csyn we established to try to prevent the negatives if eve while trading good ideas from it.

Hope to establish a layout of security ratings for planets and star systems within the greater syndicate while respecting the sovereignty of local organisations.

Hope to see your buildings, just take your time and check out all the orgs or start your own.

Again thanks for joining the forums

Don't know about it being "the one" and I don't think we can really expect any game to be , that's just setting expectations way too high and setting ourselves up for disappointment. Best can hope for is a game that checks off as many boxes on our "the one" game want/need list as possible. So far DU is on paper checking several boxes on my list, Sandbox, player economy, deep crafting, immersive living world, player creation/destruction of buildings and vehicles (ie not pre-made sets and scripts) to name a few.