Proposed sound range?

Xplosiv

As has been stated before, make everything hard.

If you're on a ship in deep space, you only hear the whirring of your engines, the firing of your guns, other crew members, and some creepy music composed by NQ. A few thousand atoms per cubic metre is not enough to carry any information.

Navigators would be those with access to elements that are connected to various electromagnetic sensors on the outside of the ship. You can generate strong signals if you want to easily find others, but they'll be able to find you without difficulty too. Turn off the engines if you don't want infrared sensors picking you up, scan across all ranges to detect regularly travelling ships, dead ships, and those flying towards you (FTL shouldn't be a complete surprise if you invest in some high powered sensors to pick up the tachyons or whatever, scifi mumbo jumbo).

You missed the point I believe. The sounds someone would hear, like a Pilot or Navigator in Third Person, would be "emulated sounds by the flight controls". They won't be actual sounds carried via mechanical waves, aka actual sound, they would be there for situational awareness. The crew would not be able to hear anyting, only the Navigator, as I said, simply isolate the sounds on a channel only the pilot can listen to. For anyone else, those soundds are muted at all times. It's rather simple.

That same mechanic can also be used for the Ship Hails idea, of being able to hear a person sending a tune as a hail.

I personally could do with just Unique beeps assigned by the player on certain ship masses and weaponry accountings that trigger. For exmaple, if your ship was to notice a merchant vessel with one or two turrets, you would get a rapid double Bleep, so you know what class of ship it is, but if a warship type of vessel is detected from your scanners, you get a staccato triple beep, for three times in a row.

I can operate with that, it goes along with the idea that spaceships are submarines in space (sorta). But I do understand people may be so into the layman life, that they may be thinking that Space should have sounds. To which your suggestion - which I did suggest as well earlier on - of having only in-ship sounds, comes into place. And yes, in the vacuum of space, without hearing a gun firing towards you, the impact has twice as much effect audio-wise. One moment you see a magnetic turret firing, then the projectiles flying silently towards you, then you get hit and you hear the grinding of metal.

Well, I guess the Operations' Watch role on a bridge will be an intense one, keeping track of what ships aim towards you and all that. I mean, I'm glad it's a sandbox, otherwise people would cry such roles should be "I eats burger with one hand and I chillax" kind of rules. Let's hope JC and his team make the game that difficult, I would be fine in both cases.

Space is more like 20 hydrogen atoms + gamma rays, dark energy, dark matter, neutrinos and quantum fluctuations

Depends where you are. But "very little matter and a whole bunch of stuff that won't affect a spaceship" is accurate enough for the game, I think.

I see space not empty, but filled with light.

The momenta in even trillions of photons is completely irrelevant, it's so tiny.

Depends where you are. But "very little matter and a whole bunch of stuff that won't affect a spaceship" is accurate enough for the game, I think.

The momenta in even trillions of photons is completely irrelevant, it's so tiny.

Tiny yes, but are they not present nearly everywhere in space. 

Well, unless you imply you want to hear static noises while flying a ship, hopefully, they devs won't go that route :P

no just simply saying light is almost everywhere in the universe right? 

no i definitely don't want to hear static lol. 

no just simply saying light is almost everywhere in the universe right? 

no i definitely don't want to hear static lol. 

There's the visible spectrum and the weaker wavelengths that can't be seen by human eye.

That's what would cause the static noise. :P

Although, in retrospect, when a pilot sees through a drone for the third person view of the ship (if it is implemented), it would be awesome to hear a sublime static noise in the background, just to make vacuum feel eerie and unwelcoming, and oh boy, isn't IT unwelcoming :P