Political Science (The Aether Backstory Part 9)

Vyz Ejstu

The Founding Fathers

Political Science

4GAiroZ.jpg?1

Ye fail to recall our hard earned triumph.

Faded from your minds is the Vale of Blood!

Men of no faith that tremble at the Nymph,

How can ye with war, defeat the Horde?

Ye will all perish, slaughtered at their hands!

Come, preserve your lives and conquer your foes,

Listen to me, and you will keep your lands.

Ye are naught but, weak and that your foe knows.

Give yourselves to him and beg for his grace,

Please him before you bring death to his face.

3 Acts of the Lambent Chapter 14: 22-23. The Kalnian Books.

Mercifully, it did.

Once I got back to Olympus Ariana—I hate that name…I wished my sleep had lasted longer.

I am not and never will be a religious person, but I do recall something about the Devil never sleeping. Looking at what Eidolon and Mistral had achieved in eighteen hours, I just might qualify for the post of a demon hunter.

It was nothing short of a hostile takeover and Devil Eidolon was pushing the limits of “takeover”.

Of course, the title of an exorcist would be the next thing I would aim for. Metal shouldn’t have a soul anyway.

I was summoned to an emergency meeting that Shiro had to drag me to. Who summoned me? Eidolon the Devil and Mistral its right hand demon.

“But, I don’t want to go…” I whined.

“If you don’t go, she’ll take your place. You want that?” She whispered quietly as a few people passed us on the stairs.

“I couldn’t care less.” I muttered under my breath.

She stopped climbing the stairs and looked down at me. There is no living thing that can survive a thirty-second stare battle with Shiro and hold its will.

“Fine. I’ll go.”

Shiro moved aside and let me pass.

“Don’t do anything stupid in there.” She cautioned me with a smile.

“I’ll be a good boy.” I retorted with just enough sarcasm in my voice to make her roll her eyes.

Four guards stood at the door, looking like wilted cactuses. Nonchalantly, I passed by them and opened the doors by myself. The revolting sight of thirty-eight people around a black marble conference table with Eidolon at the head made me gag.

Dear heavens. The devil has returned…

“Welcome, Satoru. We didn’t think you’d come.” Mistral said with a smile that would have made Dracula’s blood freeze.

“...and he’s brought demons with him this time.” I announced.

“What are you talking about?” Hartmut asked, trying to read my mind.

I acknowledged his curiosity by returning his gaze and his interest vanished as he looked at the table like it was a work of art.

At least he isn’t possessed.

Mistral pointed at the seat opposite Eidolon.

“Care to sit?”

“Nope.” I said and stood at the door.  

A man with an egg for a head, yawned and asked:

“Why?”

I grinned at his reflective scalp.

“I’m glad you care so much about my comfort. Tell me, do you rub oil on that, or is it naturally that shiny?”

From somewhere in the room, I heard Kurotou’s stifled chuckle.

“Egghead’s” face turned red.

“How dare you?!”

I hushed him.

“Eggs don’t talk much. They break easily under pressure.”

He jumped to his feet with considerable effort.

“You son of—“

Eidolon broke in.

“That’s enough, both of you.”

Egghead needs to cool down though. I don’t like boiled eggs…

I took a glass of water and splashed it on his face. For a second, he was confused.

Then, he went insane.

“You bloody rat!”

Sigh. He’s overheating now. With that amount of oil on his head, I wouldn’t mind scrambled eggs….

I walked over to the empty seat and closed my eyes, while the Devil tried to calm down Egghead.  

After five minutes of ranting and other members of the meeting throwing in their digressive personal opinions, the room became quiet again.

Eidolon made the kind of sound humans do when they clear their throats. Only then did I open my eyes.

“Now that that’s out of the way,”

I glanced at the sizzling Egghead.

“Mistral and I had this meeting called for an important reason. Satoru is unfit to be the Grand Architect and the recent events have proven that. We did him the courtesy of inviting him to the board meeting where the next Grand Architect will be chosen.”

Nods and sounds of approval rose. I couldn’t help but smile. Shiro was right, after all.

“Who is your candidate?” Kurotou asked.

Mistral rose her hand.

My smile widened on its own accord.

Do smiles have souls?

“What is funny?” A familiar voice asked from my left.

Funny enough, Petrol-ski was part of the board meeting.

“How can a smile have a soul? My smile keeps getting stronger with a will of its own.” I replied and leaned back.

Eidolon wasn’t so sure.

Any objections?”

I shook my head and whispers arose in the room. Kurotou had a confused look on his face.

“None at all?” Eidolon asked, sensing some danger.

I’ve got to give it to the AI. It really is perceptive. Kilo was shaking his head at me, warning me not to do anything I would regret.

I don’t usually regret watching episodes of failed exorcisms.

“User: Loki Torvald. Override firewall through port 5537. Eidolon, initiate and hold shut down. Block loop, count down thirty seconds, proceed. You know my voice.”

They all looked confused, but I could feel Eidolon’s dark soul trembling.

“What? How did you…?”

“You didn’t think that I would let you run free without a back-up plan in case you did something stupid?”

Its voice sounded angry, but I could detect a small hint of terror.

“You can’t do this! I’m Eidolon AI. I am your advisor and the most important person here!”

Were.” I corrected, grinning.

“You were the most important thing here. Until you cost me some sleep, yesterday. Ten seconds, AI. Want to do a quick virus scan?”

It growled and I leaned towards the man on my left, acting as if I was going to whisper something into his ear. Eidolon flew at my head, just as the man moved towards mine.

I will never forget the sound of metal hitting a human skull. The poor man fainted immediately and Eidolon looked perplexed for a moment, before the countdown expired and it shut down, dropping to the floor with a heavy thud.

I used my foot to push the dead metal away and turned towards the silent people.  

Exorcism, successful.

“I just killed the Devil. Any objections?”

Some mouths were wide open; others were sealed shut. Some eyes were frozen, looking at Eidolon; others were full of fear, staring at me. I looked at Mistral and froze for a second.

She was unfazed.

The student becomes the master. The demon becomes the Devil.

I gave her the best smile I could manage and turned to Petrol-ski. 

“Why are you here?”

His confident composure had taken a serious blow. That much was obvious as he mouthed some inaudible words.

I sighed.

They are dumbstruck at the powerful dispossession; it would seem…

“I can’t hear you…” I said in a sweet tone.

He shuddered.

“We…need to rally…our members. Allies…need to be forged.”

I frowned.

“What allies? You want to throw me out as well?”

“No! I had no part in this!”

“That’s what they all say. You are not a member of Oethe Inc., nor a person from Terra Ulterior. Eidolon was the reason you are in this room, as such you are its friend. That makes you my enemy.”

The blood drained from his face, as I stretched out my hand towards Kilo and he handed me a polished pistol.

“I came here, because I care for my people!”

I grinned.

“I’m sure you do.” And I pointed the gun at his chest.

The man in him returned and he glared at me.

“You can’t shoot me.”

Kilo held his head in his hands and Hartmut closed his eyes.  

I fired, twice.

His face froze and he looked like he died, before he realised that he was unharmed.

“Say that again, and I will shoot you for real the next time. Now, I will send you with an ambassador. Politics is boring talk and we need to get your embattled people and the Earldom of Mercia clear on our conditions—whatever they are, anyway. Arkanos?”  

The young man on the far right answered.

“Yes?”

“You are the Menon for now.”

Mistral spoke at last.

“What is that?”

“He’s in charge of politics. Did you not read the Kalnian Books?”

Her smile faded as she realised where this was heading.

“Thinking is burdensome, my dear. I prefer to live in the moment.”

After thirty minutes of boring, unnecessary conversations, I screamed at them to shut their mouths up and leave.

I hated talking with any person other than myself, Shiro, Kuro and Kilo (in that order), with the exception of a few old people. To be honest, I hated talking at all, and this board meeting had me completely pissed off.

They left like a stampede, save for the unconscious man lying on the floor.

“Kael.”

I called and he froze at the door.

“I need to talk with you about our research and development division. But first, Kurotou,”

He looked in from outside as I signalled Kael to follow us.

“Let’s walk. I need you to do me a favour…”

I'm loving this backstory! Keep it up, mate!!!!

"

A splendid day to you, Halo381. 

My deep gratitude to you for your encouragement. 

Since you've been so nice, would you like to help write the backstories where Chromion is concerned?

"

"

A good day to you, PurpleAnt. 

The Aether as a Cult? Well, you certainly couldn't have known. If you did, I would have to break the news to you: we are not a cult and we have no plans to evolve into one. 

We are a Family and Team with a moderate amount of role play to strengthen inclusiveness and keep our affairs and life in Dual Universe interesting and somewhat unpredictable. The Kalnian Books are fictional as far as real life is concerned, but in the Aether and Backstories, they exist--not as a laws to live by, but as spice and guides that add to our lives. 

We wish you a good day.

"