8000+ backers and only 3300+ forum members ... wat

DaSchiz

It is interesting they'd be willing to donate money to fund the game, but aren't interested in actually participating in the community or talking about the game. Maybe they just read the forums, or maybe they fund lots of titles and only participate in the communities of the ones that work out.

It is interesting they'd be willing to donate money to fund the game, but aren't interested in actually participating in the community or talking about the game. Maybe they just read the forums, or maybe they fund lots of titles and only participate in the communities of the ones that work out.

A lot of people just don't care about the bickering over minutia which is largely what this and pretty much every other forum consists of. 

I fund/play a lot of games, i almost never join the communities because i find the constant arguing and posturing intolerable. This game was one of the rare few i cared enough about to put up with the community for

I think a lot of people found the game interesting enough to fund on kickstarter and now they are just waiting for the alpha/beta/release depending on package. I am quite sure that these will make an account sooner or later when they feel that they need. And like others pointed out, a lot of people only read, no reason to create a forum account if that is case.

Believe it or not, most people fund crowdfunded games because they identify with the creators' visions, not because they want to hop on the early access forums and make random ass suggestions - or explain to people why ultra-realistic mechanics and Guitar Hero systems arent always good ideas for that matter.

All early access forums are pretty much alike since they share a concept. One thing they all certainly have in common is that the sociable early access members are a minority.

That doesnt mean this community is bad, or small, or anything - just that it's unrealistic to demand all funders to be socially active on the forums.

There's nothing wrong with it, some people just like to back projects they envision as being good. 
As said above, the communities are generally the same, or share similar characteristics at this stage in the development of a game. 

Once there is something to play, it will be a different story. 

That being said!

The forums are actually gaining around 33 members on average per day (as of last month), so It won't be an overly long time before the numbers bump up drastically. It's just a matter of time and development cycle.

I can see your point and to a degree I agree. But this forum is very different from your average forum in my opinion. Its the biggest reason why I enjoy participating.

Yeah I think the type of game being made has a lot to do with it. I follow another Crowd funded game, a PvP game called Crowfall and while I won't go so far as to say its a toxic community its certainly divided at times and clicks form to try to shout down opposing views based on the topic or feature being discussed.

This being a more sandbox game in the true sense of the word i think it fosters a more open and cooperative community. It also is FAR more tolerant to opposing views as I've seen so far at least. Now that might change once we get into testing and start giving feedback based on actual gameplay but don't see it getting anywhere near the toxic levels would see in more focused ie PvP game, PvE game type community's.

I'm not worried or anything .... I just wanted to try to create a sense of urgency to try to get lurkers involved.  Thanks guys for going along with the plan :rolleyes:

So if you are out there reading this and haven't registered ....

...what are you waiting for?

I do reckon some more activity on the forums would be great - as it stands, there really isn't that much activity on the forums.

Thats really not a bad thing.

Its only pre alpha right now you'll see activity increase in steps with every mile stone. As it is right now the CM's can still read every thread. Only on very few occasions have threads been locked and even the most heated debates remain somewhat civilized. Real trolling doesnt seem to be happening either.

You will miss these days come launch. ;)

You will miss these days come launch. ;)

I concur with this, these will be the days missed when the community is larger and there are more people throwing opinions at each other.

As it stands, there are 250 posts a day on average, which is reasonable considering there is 3000+ members, but, this will increase as more people join. There will always be more and more posts, responses and topics. 

It's just a matter of play the waiting game and throwing the links to the game at those interested!