Politics

xGugulu

Hey guys. I just got curious about how the Politics will work in this game. Do you think there will be just the way of War to solve a Problem or is it possible that people will form political Parties in Different Factions wich go and work together?

All of the above are possible, larger alliances/groups of organizations, wars being waged over 'x' or 'y' or the political route of diplomacy and peace.

It's all up to how seperate groups govern themselves, or eachother.

I'd like to see the political parties system. That would mean that we should have a voting system, maybe ingame so the identity of the voters is verified. Pretty much like te Democracy in Europe.

I think that will be possible under the proposed RMDS system. Of course, that will only happen if people want it to happen, and most groups will probably not go for a democracy. I can't imagine political parties working out too well either; they'd probably just lead to civil war.

I'd like to see the political parties system. That would mean that we should have a voting system, maybe ingame so the identity of the voters is verified. Pretty much like te Democracy in Europe.

You can only copy real life democracies if there are democracies in the game. Off the top of my head, the largest organisations are either anarchist, totalitarian dictatorships, monarchies, or corporations. Arguably a corporation could have stocks, and board members, and thus voting of sorts, but democracy will probably be hard to come by in this game.

Pirates are, by nature, traditionally democratic organisations, however they often appear anarchic to the outsider. 2 cents.

Whether the pirate organisations of the game will be democratic or not isn't especially relevant - it's not like a modern or classical democracy with its parties and political affiliations. I mentioned democracies with this specifically in mind because a few people in this thread think we'll have political parties.

And as a non-pirate, it's plenty anarchic to me :P

I think that will be possible under the proposed RMDS system. Of course, that will only happen if people want it to happen, and most groups will probably not go for a democracy. I can't imagine political parties working out too well either; they'd probably just lead to civil war.

You can only copy real life democracies if there are democracies in the game. Off the top of my head, the largest organisations are either anarchist, totalitarian dictatorships, monarchies, or corporations. Arguably a corporation could have stocks, and board members, and thus voting of sorts, but democracy will probably be hard to come by in this game.

Well, although it would be cool, I think you are right. A war would be started just to win the "elections" or even before it... Now you mention it, I think I've only seen organisations where its founder is the leader. And that'll probably not change. 

So, maybe what will probably happen is that the leaders of the organisations will start a war when/because they want, without the member's opinions. If you don't like it... well, too bad.  :D

I believe membership in organizations and the appointment of legates are ultimately under the power of the founder, so unless the founder voluntarily shares or surrenders control, all organizations are autocracies at the moment.  And I'm sure if there are additional options made available in DU for organizational, er, organization, the founder would have to approve that transfer to a new organizational model.  Even if legates are able to accept and eject general members, I don't see any way they can do the same with other legates.

That raises the question, what happens if the founder stops playing?  If the founder fails to log in for several weeks and doesn't return messages from the other legates or members, will DU transfer control of the organization?  To whom?  What if there are no other legates?  Will organization assets be eternally frozen in their accounts?  Will the RDMS for objects managed by the organization be forever locked?  

I hope that NQ has a plan to address the maintenance and inheritance requirements of organizations and provides alternative governance models.  I could imagine different models such as Monarchy, Republic, Democracy, Syndicalism, Corporation and Dictatorship having advantages and disadvantages in terms of stability, as well as the satisfaction of the membership in terms of participation in the government.  Once the RDMS is in place, we may see Republics and Democracies appearing, as well as the existence of Boards of Directors for corporations, but unless NQ wires control of the organization and its assets to the RDMS, whatever gets voted on can be rejected at the whim of the founder and the only choice members would have would be to vote with their feet.

Developing business rules for civil wars could be very interesting too, as well as regional governments at the planetary/system level, or even at the city level.  It all depends on how big things get.  I can't see one person effectively managing the affairs of a 10,000 member organization.

in such kind of games it's less a matter of mechanics but more the meta gaming.

politics will happen but mostly out of the game

This is what I have been saying since day one. Politics aren't going to function as most would seem to think it would in game. You can try to keep everything in character, but you'll fall short every time if you relegate yourself that much. The meta game/politics outside of the game itself are what wars and agreements will be made over. I'd be willing to bet money on that too.

And just to add more from my personal opinion, real world politics are a mess. Keep that shit out of Dual Universe. Just play the game, and adapt to the meta game as it progress'. Keep things simple and to the point.

democracy will probably be hard to come by in this game.

I think that makes the game a little more realistic and fun. I mean, look back in history, was there democracy at the beginning of civilization? Or if we restarted civilization, I'm sure in real life, there wouldn't be democracy.

• 1 month later...

Ultimately there could be big alliances made among the organizations. This could even lead to a Star Wars like Republic where Organizations would choose representatives for the senate. Then the senate could vote one amongst them to became the "supreme chancellor". Ahh.. brings back nice memories from the 1999 - 2005 movies.  :)