Capturing Territories

Hyperion_

How can a territory be obtained from another faction?

Well, two main thoughts come to mind:

-Peacefully Obtained through trade (land for land, land for resources, land for money)

-Forceful conquest

This post is to discuss how players can take territories by force

Capturing territory from another faction should be no easy task, automated defenses and player defenses will be present in larger, more desirable territories. But capturing someone's land should not be impossibly hard either. It should cost more resources to launch a successful offensive than maintain a defensive line. My idea would be to set up a web of command posts or capturable locations in a large territory hex. You, as an invader, must capture all of these secured points to be able to claim the territory.

Cur4cfbUIAAWnVI.jpg

This is an example of zones within a hex territory. An invading group would have to overpower zones  A through F, or a majority of the zones before they are allowed to capture the master command post represented as G. This makes invading factions form attack plans to capture the outer command posts before they can take a central power, and requires invading factions to scout out where a command post lies within each zone they are planning to capture. It also requires a heavy amount of scouting to find out which zones invaders should attack based on defenses and guards. Not all territory hex's should operate like this, but the Capital hex territory, or main command point for all the other hexes. The Capital hex should be the first territory you claim in that area, and should be able to be moved to other hex territories you claim later on in the same hex cluster (connected hexes)

Please post your opinion about this and your ideas!

How it's probably going to work:

-You declare war, and you'll have to wait 48h for the protection bubble to go off, so you'll have a time window to attack (2-3hours). 

-In those 48h the defender has time to build defenses or to call friends/mercenaries to help him.

-The attackers will have to reach the Territorial Unit (that they'll search by scanning the tile), and hack it. Doing so requries time, so they'll have eventually to fight vs any defenders, including automated turrets. If they hack the TCU, the land is theirs. 

-You'll probably be able to upgrade your tcu so that enemies take more time to hack it (because if you're attacking a 3 people group, a few minutes minutes to hack it may be fine, but for a large organization, 5 minutes to lose all their stuff could be frustrating (you'd have to channel multiple people on a single tcu). The battle would be larger, longer and more chaotic, 5 minutes is nothing.

-In case of multiple tiles, since you can attack from the sky with ships, it doesn't really make sense to force you to conquer the perimetral ones first. It would be quite hard though, since you'd be surrounded by enemies.

48h is a bit long, if any timer, 24h would be enough.

I'm not sure if JC said something about that, but I REALLY hope that there are no timers at all and no stupid EVE like mechanic (before patch). Timers and those mechanics are just utterly boring, stupid and a grind.

I agree that 48HRs is too long - 24 is nice, but maybe 48 can leave enough leeway that everyone can get setup, etc. I don't know, that just seems really long. 

As for attacking in a lateral system, it makes no sense as stated above, we have ships that we are going to be able to use, if your group wants to risk taking a territory and getting cut off and having to defend it, by all means, go ahead. 
But, it turns it into a more strategic gameplay element because you have to thing about where to hit and you are open to hit it. 

Anyway,

that's just the way I see it.

NQ said 24-48h, I don't know if they decided that yet. I think 24 is enough too, but you know, everyone has his own real life issues, i guess that an option to upgrade it to 48 would be nice, with a cost. (so that large organizations have a fair amount of time to prepare for battle, and people who need 48h can get it, again, with a cost)

@borzol that works too.

Why not 36 hrs? ;)

24 hours won't feel like enough time to respond for anyone who works full time and might not be able to log on each day. 48 hours will feel too long for students or anyone who works part time/on vacation. Since this isn't a game marketed towards kids, the target audience is going to skew older, so more than 24 hours seems like the safest bet.

On the flip side, if they can manage to set up mobile notifications, it could be as short as 24 hours. If I get a text when someone declares war on me, or an Email (which I can turn into a notification), then that would give me enough time to make time for a defense. If your only chance of knowing that someone has declared war is to log on, then 24 is deff to short for anyone who works.

I think it could be this way: By proclaiming Land you have to Set up some sort of a HQ for every piece of Land you own (or you can Upgrade the HQ to control more Land by just one Building). The HQ ist a Military Building that every palyer or Faction needs. (A Factions HQ might be also the Main Building of this faction. By capturing this HQ you are now owner of the Land that was Controller by this HQ. A Player can Set up supportive Strucktures like other Buildings declared as "supportive HQ", trenches, Turrets, like you know any thing that protects the land. As soon you conquer a HQ and it was the only one the Player you were attacking had build you have beat him and the Player is now without land. But if its not the only HQ you have to conquer all of the remaining HQ's. Thats one way to win. Or you are aiming at get as many resources from the Player as possible. So you declared war and as the winning objetive: "Get 'that much' item" or "Conquer 50% /100% of territory" or if the Player or Faction has some sort of "hole item": "Get 'this special' item"

Say each of the zones in the diagram (A-f) are like supportive generators for a safe field around the central building (G)

I do agree with the 12-48 hour cooldown after delcaring war upon a faction, but my point is it shouldn't be as simple as a giant firefight in a city, but factions have to perform planned attacks to capture the support zones. The safe-field generators could be in any of the A-F zones too, not every area needs a support generator/structure. That encourages people to plan attacks out more and scout each control point. Construct vs Construct isn't in the initial release of the game, so having air support may only be good for scouting and transport roles.

Interesting idea, but any generators that power TCUs will be player built and player placed so they may not be so evenly split up into 6 subsections. It is a good idea to take out the generators since that might shut down the TCU and all the benefits that come with it.

I think a better solution to the 24/48 hours thing would be to allow the attackers to choose their window any time between 24 and 48 hours. This way, an exact time can be chosen for those with difficult schedules or those from a different time zone.

Interesting idea, but any generators that power TCUs will be player built and player placed so they may not be so evenly split up into 6 subsections. It is a good idea to take out the generators since that might shut down the TCU and all the benefits that come with it.

I think a better solution to the 24/48 hours thing would be to allow the attackers to choose their window any time between 24 and 48 hours. This way, an exact time can be chosen for those with difficult schedules or those from a different time zone.

I 100% agree with this ^

While waiting 48 hours certainly sounds like a long time, it is an imperfect solution to a serious issue - we are all playing a video game and have to deal with real life. From the sounds of it, taking territory and holding it isn't going to be an easy thing in the first place, so while I understand and agree with the timer mechanics being annoying, I can absolutely appreciate the solution it presents. In an organization with people with husbands, wives, children, responsibilities and even different time zones, it's a challenge to coordinate getting people online at the same time and working together. Heck, we sometimes have trouble getting six people together from around the world to play our D&D campaign weekly...  so yeah, please keep these mechanics in place.. and keep it at 48 hours.

Timers in EVE are made 12, 36, and 60 hours so that the enemy is not in their prime time when the protection stops. This system assumes that the enemy found the base during their prime time. That's why its best to declare war outside of your typical active hours.

Why have a protection bubble in the first place if they're adding turrets? Telling people you're attacking them is pretty unrealistic and removes the possibility of sneak attacks. If you're a small organization with a small base/bases, you'll be PRETTY hard to find on a life size planet. If you're a big organization; #1 you should have pretty good defenses. #2 you'll most likely have some members online if you're that big. So I personally don't like the idea of "protection bubbles" and it might ruin the realism and combat of the game. But that's just me.(I'll still get the game ;)